LegacyGT.com

When to Purchase

King276

Hi guys,

I am interested in buying the Legacy GT Limited. I currently drive a '97 Nissan Altima. I am due for inspection in April. In NJ, they do safety, ODB II, and emissions as part of the process. My CEL is on. I went to autozone to have it checked for free. They told me it is the knock sensor and the car is misfiring. I will probably get a full diagnosis for $75. What I'm wondering is if the prices will drop when the '06 Legacy comes out? So, should I trade it in now, or get the immediate issues fixed and drive it around until maybe later this year?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I am interested in buying the Legacy GT Limited. I currently drive a '97 Nissan Altima. I am due for inspection in April. In NJ, they do safety, ODB II, and emissions as part of the process. My CEL is on. I went to autozone to have it checked for free. They told me it is the knock sensor and the car is misfiring. I will probably get a full diagnosis for $75. What I'm wondering is if the prices will drop when the '06 Legacy comes out? So, should I trade it in now, or get the immediate issues fixed and drive it around until maybe later this year?

Thanks

Get those problems fixed before trading in. I used to own a '90 Nissan 300ZX TT. Their OE spark plugs are supposed to last ~100K miles. If your Altima is approaching this mileage, get those replaced as well as your knock sensor. Your CE light should go away afterwards.

You can get good deals on 2.5GT's now, but typically in late August/September when the '06 cars start rolling in, dealers will start offering unbeatable deals on their '05 inventory...;)

-CD

Get those problems fixed before trading in. I used to own a '90 Nissan 300ZX TT. Their OE spark plugs are supposed to last ~100K miles. If your Altima is approaching this mileage, get those replaced as well as your knock sensor. Your CE light should go away afterwards.

You can get good deals on 2.5GT's now, but typically in late August/September when the '06 cars start rolling in, dealers will start offering unbeatable deals on their '05 inventory...;)

-CD

I'm approaching 83k miles. It's probably smarter to get it fixed. I just don't want to fix one thing, then have something else go wrong. I had to replace the alternator a few months ago, and I will have to replace the AC pulley, if I decide to keep it when it gets warm.

The only additional thing I would want different from the '05 is the ability to replace the stock stereo.

I'd say fix those things if you're gonna sell it to somebody. If trading it in...simply disconnect the CEL and drive it to the dealer. They won't care about that on a 97 Altima - it'll go straight to the auctions.

I had a diagnostic done on the car this weekend. It looks like about $1100 to get everything done. So, I have decided to go for the Legacy or Nissan Pathfinder instead of spending that money and hoping something else doesn't go wrong.

The only additional thing I would want different from the '05 is the ability to replace the stock stereo.

I hear you man. Does anyone know when we will get a clear picture of what the 2006 models will be? I seem to remember Subaru annoucing the new Legacys last year in the spring...

Honestly, today prob is the best time to get a deal...specially if you are in an area where it's snow'n. Some dealers had an aweful Pres. day weekend cuz of the blizzard up here, and will be hurt'n to make there numbers for feb....last day....perfect opp for you to do some wheel'n and deal'n

Archived