LegacyGT.com

What do you love and hate about your 05 LGT?

hinkelstein

Recently I have really fell in love with the 2005 LGT for multiple reasons, including the price they are going for, the features/performance you get for the price, the look, and that I am tired of having a coupe. I currently have a 96 Impreza with 169k miles and I think it's time to upgrade soon. I just want to get some feedback on the LGT from people who have them.

• How long have you owned your car?

• Picture of your car? [optional, I just love seeing pictures of these things]

• What are you favorite things about the car?

• What are your least favorite things about the car?

• Are there any common issues? (I.E. The 120k headgasket issue with the 1997 era)

• Manual or Automatic? (I have a 4EAT right now, and I'm kinda tired of it. Never owned a manual, but I'm worried that driving a manual will get annoying after some time for a DD)

• Limited or Regular (Are the non-limiteds also deemed "Unlimited?")

• Things I should watch for when buying it (obvious or imperceptible)

I'm looking to possibly get it from a dealership and try to get them to throw in some kind of warranty with it so that I'm covered for a little while. In 2 years of owning my Impreza I have done 2 major transmission repairs already (Yes I know that just comes with having an older car), but I like knowing that I'm covered.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I'll answer a few....

bought new in '05

• Are there any common issues? (I.E. The 120k headgasket issue with the 1997 era)

Uppipe in '05 should be switched for catless.

Wheel bearings needed to be replaced.

Headlights burn out every few months.

Turbo won't live forever.

• Manual or Automatic? (I have a 4EAT right now, and I'm kinda tired of it. Never owned a manual, but I'm worried that driving a manual will get annoying after some time for a DD)

Auto - my left foot gets bored, but definately a win in stop 'n go traffic.

see common issues...Personally, i'd stay away from a LGT that is being sold due to a previous turbo failure.

I'll answer a few....

bought new in '05

Uppipe in '05 should be switched for catless.

Wheel bearings needed to be replaced.

Headlights burn out every few months.

Turbo won't live forever.

Auto - my left foot gets bored, but definately a win in stop 'n go traffic.

see common issues...Personally, i'd stay away from a LGT that is being sold due to a previous turbo failure.

Thanks for the reply.

At around what mileage do the wheel bearings typically go out?

I've seen a few LGT's that have rebuilt engine's/turbos from factory warranty. Are those fine?

How long have you owned your car?

05 LGT since September 15th, 2004 IIRC, 06 OBXT December 2011

Picture of your car? [optional, I just love seeing pictures of these things]

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lalgt-rebuild-thread-152682.html?t=152682

What are you favorite things about the car?

LGT = understated beauty + wickedly quick (mine is:wub:)

OBXT = super sleeper status

What are your least favorite things about the car?

Its not a specB/no 6spd, rear seats don't fold down, open front diff

Manual or Automatic?

Both 5mt. I believe "drivers cars" are meant to be driven not to drive you.

Limited or Regular (Are the non-limiteds also deemed "Unlimited?")

LGT = unlimited

OBXT = limited

Your other questions are covered in threads with massive amounts of info on the forum here. Enjoy!

Your other questions are covered in threads with massive amounts of info on the forum here. Enjoy!

I've been reading through the blown turbo forum. Kinda gets me depressed. There hasn't been a recall on these things?

OMFG are you serious?

You are obviously not reading the right posts since there is nothing wrong with the turbochargers.

Journal bearing turbochargers are unlikely to last as long as ball bearing. There are several people here on their ORIGINAL ENGINE, TURBO AT STAGE TWO NEARING 200k MILES.

Buy something with LOW miles, with ALL its maintence, do NOT use Mobil1 at the oem weight (the oil viscosity calves too quickly to a 20wt), change the oil ever 3500 miles, if you remove your banjo bolt filter replace it with an infamous performance oil like kit and you can be sure nothing can get into your turbo (unlikely anyhow if you change your oil regularly, what would get in it?), swap out the oil pickup with something reinforced (I use killerB but there are cheaper alternatives) and drive forever.

There is a reason I'm not the only one on the forum with more than one.

Yeah I just got to the parts where people start talking about what the factory recommends to sustain it and what is actually causing them to go out. The first few pages were just people saying when theirs went out. It seems that problems are either with the banjo bolt screen getting clogged (which with regular oil changes wouldn't be a problem) or an oversized oil filter being used and the oil getting too hot. My only concern is how the previous owner treated the car.

If after I get the car, I check/change the screen on the bolt, and it doesn't look terrible I should be fine with good treatment right?

There is a reason I'm not the only one on the forum with more than one.

I purchased an OBXT, flawless, with 50k miles, all maintenance done at dealership, older gentleman, 5mt, bone stock for the wife. I doubt it has ever even seen a gravel or dirt road. Literally flawless.

There is a nearly 400hp lgt for 8k for sale here in the f/s threads. It has 160k miles. Its good to drive now and likely with less than $4000 of motor work and bushings, etc it would be good for another 160k if you felt so inclined (no need to put money into it right away)

Buy it...You'll like it.

I bought my 05 Jun 28 2004, Fun car over all these years.

Read the post in the 4th gen forum. My oem turbo lasted till 142,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Since Jan 2011.

• Picture of your car? [optional, I just love seeing pictures of these things]

Search my username in the BSM thread your bound to find a few in there.

• What are you favorite things about the car?

Turbo, awd, manual trans combo

• What are your least favorite things about the car?

Stock turbo

Plenty of info on the forums for that.

I can't drive automatics, too complicated.

• Limited or Regular (Are the non-limiteds also deemed "Unlimited?")

Unlimited.

Maintenance records.

Since Sept 13, 2008. It had ~30,000 miles turned in from a lease. Formerly driven by an older gentleman, was very well taken care off, all maintenance recorded at that very dealership. Only blemish was a coffee stain on the carpet (i still haven't gotten this stain out, floor mats cover it) Currently at ~70,000 miles.

http://i42.tinypic.com/3580wwh.jpg

AWD, Aesthetics, Acceptable stock Performance, Good aftermarket support, Community (You won't be noticed by WRX/STi owners however...)

Lack of AUX input, Married HVAC+Radio :spin:, No folding back seat, Headlights need replaced several times a year, fragile paint, it's not a wagon:cool:

Are there any common issues? (I.E. The 120k headgasket issue with the 1997 era)

Headlights need replaced several times a year, Fear of VF40 failure (maybe unfounded), I had to have my wheel bearings replaced at around 55,000 miles. My extended warranty covered this and all 4 were replaced by my dealer.

Manual or Automatic? (I have a 4EAT right now, and I'm kinda tired of it. Never owned a manual, but I'm worried that driving a manual will get annoying after some time for a DD)

Manual, never gets old... but get a Short Throw Shifter;)

Limited, Heated seats are key if you live north of the Mason-Dixon line. (Also cold weather package)

Things I should watch for when buying it (obvious or imperceptible)

Maintenance records, regular oil changes, I test drove 2 cars that had blown turbos (at a Mazda dealer and a used lot). I would only purchase from a SUBARU dealership, or a fellow enthusiast.

Since Nov 2010.

It's RBP, but with mudflaps. Bone stock otherwise.

Turbo, AWD, nice interior, navigation, decent stock sound system, Subaru reliability, projector headlights

Mine only has 2 pedals, headlights burn out too quickly, no HIDs (upgrades are easy though), interior squeaks when it's cold outside, some say the footwell is a little cramped (took me about a month to get used to), and my seats don't fold down (07s do).

Are there any common issues? (I.E. The 120k headgasket issue with the 1997 era)

Banjo bolt, stock turbos will eventually die (an excuse to go Stage 2!), wheel bearings. Lucky for me, nothing has happened in 17 months and 25k miles (*knocks on wood*)

Manual or Automatic? (I have a 4EAT right now, and I'm kinda tired of it. Never owned a manual, but I'm worried that driving a manual will get annoying after some time for a DD)

I needed a new car when I bought my LGT and 5EAT was all they had for sale in the nearest 500mi.

Limited w/ Nav FTW

Things I should watch for when buying it (obvious or imperceptible)

I agree, maintenance records.

Archived