LegacyGT.com

RE92's don't let you forget how much they suck

mycotopian

IB philT, McCorry, Brady et al. who say that it was your faut and not the RE-92s :rolleyes:

Dont worry bro, there are others like you on here :lol:

Damn right dude. Said he was doing 80 around a turn. What more do you want?

Would I buy the RE92's again? No. Would I take them around a turn at 80? I guess depends on the turn ... but come on ... that's just overdriving your tires. :icon_roll

Knowing your tires are crap, why would you ever want to even drive near the limit? You can blame the tire if they fail out of nowhere, but if you kow they stink, dont drive hard on them.

Do you just go out everyday and hoping that your tires will somehow not suck? you know they suck, so dont drive hard on them.

I am admitting that driver error was the cause. I just wanted to throw up a little reminder in case anybody else was starting to believe maybe they had a magical set of RE92's that weren't as bad as people say. They suck and right when you start to have confidence in them they'll bite you in the ass.

Just a friendly reminder is all.

It all depends on the turn. I mean there is always a limit to what tires can do. I have taken turns at 80 mph just fine with re-92's (granted not stock suspension), but it wasn't a hard angle. Most on/off ramps I can take comfortably at 40-50 mph. But yeah I think everyone agrees the re-92's suck. Just have to know your tires limits and in the re-92's case your car/you will out drive re-92's tires very quick. Now you know to go slower, and you didn't learn the hard way.

just curious if my rection to the fishtail was correct. My rear started to swing out to the right so I drug the brakes just enough to reduce speed without locking things up while attempting to correct. Each fishtail the rear swung less and less wide until it straightened out. I'm not sure if I was over correcting each time or if it was just the momentum that kept me getting squirrely.

Yeah, that's ok, what you don't want to do it give abrupt input into the car (brakes, steering, gas, any combination of the three). You can add a little steering input in the direction of the fishtail just to get front end to go in the same direction as the rear to get it back in one direction quicker.

Heh, I'm getting new wheels+rims for xmas (see other thread I'll be making in 2 mins) so I'm taking certain liberties with my stock setup I have now--uch as tearing up the backroads. Anyway, I was noticing that when these tires are warmed up they stick pretty damn good! I was impressed when hot and on a dry surface but aside from that, mmmmm no :p

just curious if my rection to the fishtail was correct. My rear started to swing out to the right so I drug the brakes just enough to reduce speed without locking things up while attempting to correct. Each fishtail the rear swung less and less wide until it straightened out. I'm not sure if I was over correcting each time or if it was just the momentum that kept me getting squirrely.

If the car fishtailed more than once then by definition you were over-correcting. But if each swing was smaller than the first one, you weren't doing too bad. It's when the swings get bigger and bigger than you know you're in trouble. :)

I prefer to simply let off the gas (or even put the clutch in and coast) when things get hairy, since braking tends to make oversteer worse. But sometimes instinct takes over and the brakes come on.

You didn't hit anything. It's all good! :D

Today, at a ski area, my car got stuck in the parking lot. With some back-and-forth action, it got unstuck and I drove out. On RE92s.

Then I drove home down a snow-covered mountain pass road, without incident. On RE92s.

Granted, Blizzaks are better (I did some back-to-back testing before parting with my old car) but RE92s are not a death sentence.

Oh, and I have a set of Goodyear GW3s on order...

• 3 weeks later...
I prefer to simply let off the gas (or even put the clutch in and coast) when things get hairy, since braking tends to make oversteer worse. But sometimes instinct takes over and the brakes come on.

Do not put in the clutch and coast, AWD is your friend.

the RE-92s are a perfectly capable tire in the dry and in light snow. their only real weakness is the wet traction. if bridgestone gave them a little UNI-T AQII love they would be a decent (factory issue) all season tire.

Archived