LegacyGT.com

Clutch is going?? HELP!!

Ok, so I've been letting the Girlfriend drive the car (I know save the wise cracks for later) She's had a manual civic SI 99' for 9 years now and havent had any problems driving a manaul, she is actually a better driver than me I must say, but I sold it 3 weeks ago (made out like a bandit on it but not the point right now) and now she calls me today at work, says "the cars making a funny shimmy feeling when I shift" so my gut feeling is the differental is low. Nope full, second the transfer case, not it either. So I figuring it's the CLUTCH and so I get the car from her at work and drive it home, feels like the cluch is going and the flywheel is slipping, Am I right? I feel a weird shaking feeling in the middle to back area of the car. This only happens when I start to initate 1st gear and a little into 2nd, after that it feels fine. IS THIS THE CLUTCH SLIPPING? (This is my first Subaru and 2nd manual car)ANY advice on what it could be most people I've spoken to have pointed to the clutch others said they want to drive it before Diagnosing it.

I bought the car used at 68K and it had it's clutch replaced at 58K so I figure it's time it's going. It currently has 130K+ so I bet it's that time.

I've been calling around to shops for help/prices and SUBA performance in CO has given me the best price on labor/parts but should I go this route or get the part myself and find a mechanic to do it at a reasonable price. I know labor on this is gonna cost $400+, and the new clutch kit is around $400+ but SUBA gave me a great rate at little over $800 for parts and labor and there a well known shop in colorado+U.S.. ADVICE/HELP would be great I know you guys know th most about LGT's THANKS

My car is a 2001 Legacy GT manual, N/A

Ask her if she accidentally had it rev too high and if the clutch spun up on one of her take offs. If the engine revs too high at take off and the clutch is let out too slow(like starting on a hill) it can glaze the clutch and flywheel. This may be what happened as it does all the time on the newer LGT's. If this is the case; just try to drive it easy for a couple days to clean the clutch/FW and it should get better. If it doesn't get any better, then it is probably time to start collecting a replacement clutch and flywheel(unless your FW can be resurfaced) and preparing for the swap. It sounds like this clutch is probably at the end of it's life, but you can always hope it will come back. Good Luck.
Let's kick this pig!

Thanks,I tried it last night around the neighborhood, your right it revs high or if I lightly let it out it starts kick&shake. So new clutch here I come. But I found out the replacement clutch comes with a new an improved FW. or so they say at subaru...

I had to back UP a very steep hill on Saturday morning, and now im getting slippage at 3-4K when i get on it. It hasn't Ever slipped before, but I know I had to wring the clutch out something fierce on sat to get it up this hill :(

Think it could be a glaze problem? *crosses fingers*

Archived