LegacyGT.com

Poll: Cold weather "lockout"....

voyetra8

Have you been mysteriously locked-out of your Legacy?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been mysteriously locked-out of your Legacy?

• Yes
    • No
    • You are on crack. There is no way the car locked itself.

It appears some of us have found that in very cold weather, our LGTs will lock us out of the car if we get out (to scrape ice off, for example) while the car is running.

I can assure you that you don't want this to happen to you.

There are at least 5 posters on the board that this has happened to, and I would like to see if there are more out there.... This is definitely something that should be addressed, because frankly, it's dangerous.

Thread of note, where an "auto-lock" function is mentioned:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4071&highlight=auto-lock

"I got locked out" threads:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5850&highlight=beware

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7387

BEWARE

Took car to hand wash car wash today, of course I was in a big hurry and when I closed door with keys in ignition, as car wash signs say and got out of car closing door behind me, it locked. Holly Cow! I thought only Detroit cars locked you out. My Lexus and German cars did not do that. It seems that I saw something about this topic on this site before, but it obviously did not register with me. Take note and BEWARE.

More on this later, after I play with keys and details of how this happens. Really got caught off guard. Very lucky wife was near by and came with extra key.

That happend to the sales guy, when I went to test drive an Lgt. He turned it on, turned around and it was locked.

I was about to leave to drive out of town the other night and it was very cold, so I went out to start my car and went back inside. Much to my chagrin, when attempting to get back into my car I found that I was locked out. I called roadside assistance and after a long hold they said they were sending a locksmith. I

Most troubling was when I started up the car last night, turned the heaters on, shut the door, and went about brooming off the car. Anyone car to guess what happened next? That's right, the motherfucking doors LOCKED.

I thought it wasn't even possible, because the car was designed to prevent lockouts. You can't even GET OUT of the car if the doors are locked!!! So, it HAD to have happened after I got out.WTF?

My doors will not remain locked if it is running. I can lock them but as soon as I release the lock lever they automatically unlock again. Odd trouble you have there but I wont vote on the poll. With my luck i'll go with the crack smoking response and tomorrow morning the car will lock me out:lol:

My doors will not remain locked if it is running. I can lock them but as soon as I release the lock lever they automatically unlock again. Odd trouble you have there but I wont vote on the poll. With my luck i'll go with the crack smoking response and tomorrow morning the car will lock me out:lol:

Mine behaved the same way when I tried to duplicate the issue earlier. (It was 10° warmer today though.)

It's a definitely a real issue.

never happened to me... yet....i'm actually kinda paranoid, if i do keep the car running, i'll keep a window open a crack or not close a door completely just incase.

+1 but it has never happen to me either. I was up at the mountains for some skiing friday morning. -16 degrees with no probs

wait so are you saying that it becomes possible to lock yourself out of the car when it is cold, or that the car will spontaneously lock itself when its cold(or both)?

It "spontaneously" locks you out.

I had every door unlocked, including my trunk, and within the 3 minutes I had spent cleaning the car off, every door (including the trunk) had locked.

Ok, it's 10 degrees here in Cincinnati, and I just came in from attempting to duplicate this 'issue'. Car running, driver door unlocked. Waited 5 minutes, door still unlocked. Car running, all doors unlocked. Same thing. Car running all doors unlocked, trunk up. Closed trunk. Same thing. And the key fob doesn't work when there is a key in the ignition. Also, the door unlocks itself when the door is open and the car is running. It doesn't stay locked.

Since the fob doesn't work when there is a key in the ignition, I doubt it's radio interference. Moisture, or something physcially overriding the safety interlock? I dunno.

John

Ok, it's 10 degrees here in Cincinnati, and I just came in from attempting to duplicate this 'issue'. Car running, driver door unlocked. Waited 5 minutes, door still unlocked. Car running, all doors unlocked. Same thing. Car running all doors unlocked, trunk up. Closed trunk. Same thing. And the key fob doesn't work when there is a key in the ignition. Also, the door unlocks itself when the door is open and the car is running. It doesn't stay locked.

Since the fob doesn't work when there is a key in the ignition, I doubt it's radio interference. Moisture, or something physcially overriding the safety interlock? I dunno.

John

According to this link, the ECU has an "auto-lock" function that can be turned on, if desired.

I am guessing that the extreme (appx. 3°F) cold caused an ECU glitch which temporarily activated the feature. This might explain why I was unable to duplicate it the next day when the temp was appx. 14°, and why you could not as well.

If you check the first post, I have added some other poster's anecdotes to compare.

(I'd go out and try it again now, but it's 16°.)

:confused: As I previously stated, I have been hit by the cold lockout but I'll be damned if I could get to to reproduce itself this morning as I was digging out from the aftermath of the blizzard. I was on a mission too... I was hell-bent on figuring it out so that it wouldn't get me again - no dice - although it was about 4 f when it happened the first time and it was a balmy 14 today.

Maybe it's a feature designed to keep me from going into work when it's too cold - and if it is work that's the operative condition here maybe it's bonded to me like a faithful labrador, and sensed that I really didn't want to go to work anyway... <shrug>

I'm inclined to buy into the cold/ECU glitch hypothesis - if the cold can spank my seatbelt chime override it's certainly feasible that it could mess with the 'autolockdown' or 'prevent lock' too.

I was hell-bent on figuring it out so that it wouldn't get me again - no dice - although it was about 4 f when it happened the first time and it was a balmy 14 today.

I'm inclined to buy into the cold/ECU glitch hypothesis - if the cold can spank my seatbelt chime override it's certainly feasible that it could mess with the 'autolockdown' or 'prevent lock' too.

Interesting to see that the temp when you had your lockout was almost the exact same temp I had mine.

I am wondering if the battery drain on startup (due to poor CCA rating from the stock battery) causes the ECU to reset, which somehow causes the issue....

I dunno. We'll get it solved, for sure.

A list of dealer-settable options are located in your owner's manual, page 26. Info about the key lock-in prevention is located on page 2-11. According to the manual the car comes from the factory with the lock-in prevention feature enabled, but the dealer has the option to disable the feature. I would think that if the cold weather resets the ECU, it would default to lock-in prevention enabled.

Personally, I have not had a problem with getting locked out during the many times I have scraped ice of the windshield in the morning (my car lives outside, uncovered, in Colorado). But the coldest temps I have seen so far around where I live is 7 degrees F.

I live in orth Pole, Alaska it's been below zero down to -55 and this has not happened to me. I have to actually get in my car with it running and lock the doors and then have to manually unlock and get out of the car and then relock the door using the actual lock by the door handle and then shut the door the keep my vehicle secure while it warms up for 15 minutes, when I tried using the lock switch by the window controls it would not stay locked when I got out of the car. I tried last night (-10) to reproduce the problems mentioned above no luck my car will not lock all the doors automatically. My Honda Civic is the same way it not lock itself with the car running. But it that case I have a autostart, looks like a autostart is availible for the Legacy according to the other post. $150 bucks is way cheap for those. A typical autostart for a car with immobilizer bypass will run around $450 with install.

The tranny is stiff, that's the only "lockout" I know when it's cold and it's hard to put the car in 1st or Reverse. As for the lockout the rest of you guys are talking about. I havent had that happen UNLESS I left my remote in my pocket with the spare keys in the ignition and while I am scraping the ice, I would accidentally lock the car. If the door is open and you try locking it with the key in the ignition in the ON position, it will not lock. But you can lock the car IF you:

close the door, turn on the car, (assuming only driver side lock is open), manually flip the lock to close once you get out of the car, close the door, or use a spare key or remote to lock the car.

Keefe

Keefe

But you can lock the car IF you:

close the door, turn on the car, (assuming only driver side lock is open), manually flip the lock to close once you get out of the car, close the door, or use a spare key or remote to lock the car.

Keefe

I don't think that is correct. The remote doesn't work if there is already a key in the ignition. (At least with mine.)

My spare set was in my house, not my pocket, and when I got down to the car and hit the "unlock" button, and got no response. I had to physically unlock it with a key.

:(

Also, if you open the door with the car running, and then hit the lock button, it will immediately unlock as part of the "anti-lock out protection." You can try it yourself- I did in an attempt to replicate this issue, thinking I accidentally bumped the lock on my way out.

I tested this and the car would unlock itself when the car was running, as designed. Temp was 10 degrees. But if you lock the drivers door with the manual latch, the driver's door WILL lock when you close it. The other car doors remained unlocked.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

It was -20© and I thought I would go warm up the car...bad mistake. I opened the door, pressed the lock key without knowing it (Yes i know...5 beeps) and started the car. What did I do...I CLOSE the door... :( I waited for 40 min for someone to bring me my extra set of keys...

HOWEVER, if the car hasn't been started, the car won't let you lock the door.

This has happened to me at least twice, both times of which I have already posted about. I find it unlikely, but nonetheless possible that I may have manually hit the lock with my hand upon exiting the car after starting it. I can say that both times this happened to me it was extremely cold. I'll have to see if I can look up the temps as I know the dates. Hearing about this issue regarding cold cranks and the ECU resetting the seatbelt chime feature though makes me wonder if this isnt somehow also a similar issue. Of course I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my cruise.

pEace

Joe

Archived