LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Options / Possibilities

I can't find much out there for us NA guys so I am starting this thread.

Goal: Exhaust for a 2.5i Limited NA Legacy

I have found the following thread for NA 2.5 engines but nothing that has been done to a Legacy:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445402

Options:

1.) UEL Headers

found on - http://www.boxer4racing.com/ - $350

or Top Speed (Borla Replica) - ebay - $200

2.) EL Headers

dunno

O2 Sensor Issues:

1.) O2 Sensor Extension - http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CEI&Category_Code=SUBU - $35

2.) CEL Solutions - http://www.rallitek.com/rao2sesp.html - $25

Has anyone done any exhaust mods to their 2.5i NA Legacy? If so, which ones, brands? Also, if you can post clips of sounds or links to them, that would be awesome.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to be a douche but why? I don't understand...
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Not to be a douche but why? I don't understand...

cause we're ricers and want to be fast n' furious !!! ! :orly:

haha jk

it's all fun and good. i have prodrive axlebacks on my car right now, i haven't taken a good sound clip, but there is one on youtube. sounds the exact same, some people think it sounds like a honda civic and will say it's the worst thing they've ever heard on a subaru cause they want boxer rumble. but i like it, it's a good clean exhaust note.

i believe avo is maybe the only other company that offers axlebacks. though i think hkc speed sells some various JDM mufflers from time to time. i'm looking into getting the fujitsubo axlebacks from EAT motorsports as a possibility.

wouldnt uel headers make our cars slower?

possibly, although the hp diff is prob minimal. i've heard various theories re: EL vs UEL headers, some companies feel EL headers for the boxer engine creates better gains but who knows.

the OEM cans are slightly different between the 2.5i and LGT, i think the exhaust pipe is slightly smaller in the 2.5i but the inlet pipe is the same size (may also be some differences in the muffler design itself i can't see). the prodrives i have are made for the LGT so any axleback system for the LGT should work for the 2.5i, but you'll have to be careful about creating drone depending on what system you put on.

edit: cobb and perrin also have axlebacks

Pawlwawl: Thanks for the link. I am unable to see that when going to the NA forum threads. Hopefully an admin can straighten that out.

Seanrose: From what I have read the HP loss is 2-3. People do it for the sound. Also, if you end up changing the Cat and Cat-Back pieces you would make up for the loss.

The main reason for this post was because I could never find anything out there for us NA guys to go off of for exhaust options. I preffer the UEL header, but I would like to hear the opinions and sounds of EL NA guys who have done upgrades too. I used to own an 04 STi and I miss the throaty growl. I am a commercial banker so I can't do Honda rice crap.

1.) My car is a 4EAT. I dont want something loud and obnoxious that sounds like a Honda. At highways speeds I don't want feel like jumping out of the car because the sound pisses me off.

2.) I want the deep rumble. A four door sedan with a little bite, you know. I am trying to find the right Cat and Cat-Back combination to have a semi-subtle growl like a small V8. That is what they compare the Boxer UEL sound to is a V8, and I think that is badass.

Pawlwawl: Thanks for the link. I am unable to see that when going to the NA forum threads. Hopefully an admin can straighten that out.

Seanrose: From what I have read the HP loss is 2-3. People do it for the sound. Also, if you end up changing the Cat and Cat-Back pieces you would make up for the loss.

The main reason for this post was because I could never find anything out there for us NA guys to go off of for exhaust options. I preffer the UEL header, but I would like to hear the opinions and sounds of EL NA guys who have done upgrades too. I used to own an 04 STi and I miss the throaty growl. I am a commercial banker so I can't do Honda rice crap.

1.) My car is a 4EAT. I dont want something loud and obnoxious that sounds like a Honda. At highways speeds I don't want feel like jumping out of the car because the sound pisses me off.

2.) I want the deep rumble. A four door sedan with a little bite, you know. I am trying to find the right Cat and Cat-Back combination to have a semi-subtle growl like a small V8. That is what they compare the Boxer UEL sound to is a V8, and I think that is badass.

Okay here we go:

If you want to go back to the days of the rumble like with your STI you will need a Borla or Borla replica header ( ebay for $180-$200 shipped all day ) and custom piping with a High Flow Cat a resonator and two mufflers. this will chop out a lot of the loud rumble but you will still hear it under WOT and it will idle like a subbie should your muffler selection should be gear towards higher flow the resonator ( which could just be another muffler) will filter the pop and raspy nature of the setup. go no larger than 2.5 inch piping and you should be fine

If you want to go the EL route just swap from the exhaust manifold back the stock EL header is a nice piece with the cat but your car will sound like a honda and that is trash even with mufflers and 2.5 pipe

you might just have to scroll to the bottom of the section and click the menu where it says show threads: from last day/week/month/45 days and select the appropriate setting you want to be displayed

katalyst:

Yeah, I had a dumbass moment. When I first joined the boards I had no problem seeing them and then they just poofed. I e-mailed Chad today and now I feel like a total idiot. Oh well, you live and learn. Thanks man.

GEE-OTTO: Yeah, after a little research today I found that you may not have to do custom piping right after the UEL headers. Random Technology and Stromung make HFC pipes that bolt straight up to the UEL headers which eliminate the need for the custom bend and flange. Just after this piece with the HFC you would need a resonator and custom piping to meet up with either Axle-Back or Cat-Back exhausts. Although with Cat-Back the Mid Pipe that comes with those kits will probably be useless.

1.) Suggested Resonators? I have seen Magnaflow out there.

2.) Suggested Mufflers? To keep with my goal. AVO has some Axle-Backs and Prodrive as mentioned by Katalyst.

GEE-OTTO: Yeah, after a little research today I found that you may not have to do custom piping right after the UEL headers. Random Technology and Stromung make HFC pipes that bolt straight up to the UEL headers which eliminate the need for the custom bend and flange. Just after this piece with the HFC you would need a resonator and custom piping to meet up with either Axle-Back or Cat-Back exhausts. Although with Cat-Back the Mid Pipe that comes with those kits will probably be useless.

1.) Suggested Resonators? I have seen Magnaflow out there.

2.) Suggested Mufflers? To keep with my goal. AVO has some Axle-Backs and Prodrive as mentioned by Katalyst.

well if you have ever had exhaust work done you will know that at muffler shop can fab ( one 90 degree bend at the header flange on 20 degree to align it with the drive line tunnel straight back to the y pipe) a pipe a LOT cheaper than buying one pre made hahahaha im not clowning you or anything but those "cat and track pipes" are no different than raw exhaust tube with a generic cat/res welded inline. You can buy a HFC for under $80 shipped online a 7 foot section of pipe might be $20 at a shop and since it is part of the whole job it isnt an aded expense a track pipe can cost $275 that is just a pipe with two flanges just b/c it has stromung tagged on it doenst make it anybetter. But it is your call its your money if you want a complete bolt on app buy pre fabbed but remember once a shope does your exhaust it to is bolt on bolt off. On my 2008 legacy2.5i a complete fab job from header back is only $325 thats pipe cat resonator and two Magna flows

Yeah it can be tough, but there are some companies out there that make exhaust or have it made for you.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

katalyst:

Yeah, I had a dumbass moment. When I first joined the boards I had no problem seeing them and then they just poofed. I e-mailed Chad today and now I feel like a total idiot. Oh well, you live and learn. Thanks man.

haha np, happens to us all.

blackfang you have the SPT exhaust on your 2.5i right? i almost forgot about that

I am not really sure about HFC.

Is it really no difference between 500 bucks Random Tech and 30 bucks shop HFC???

That means the good will of "Random Technology" is worth $470???

Anyone has done "shop-made" HFC before??? I would like to hear more.

blackfang you have the SPT exhaust on your 2.5i right? i almost forgot about that

Yes. Even though SPT doesn't include the 2.5i, It bolts right on.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I live in Michigan... since we do not have Emissions testing... i was thinking about an UEL straight to a single to dual Flowmaster Super 40 with one of my Electrical Engineering friends to hook me up with a little device to do some "magic" ;) ;)

Just throwing another idea out there.

lousypirate, that is going to be loud as hell. If it makes you happy man go for it. When you have it done you need to post it. I am stuck at that stage of designing everything because I don't want to buy things twice. The only delimma it comes down to is mufflers. Because I can listen to every video out there of the different manufactures on WRXs and GTs but somehow I just dont think it is going to come out the same. MSPRO's thread (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60348) is really close but I'm stuck between Magnaflow, AVO and SPT. I wasn't impressed with the Prodrive. I wish there was someplace that you could just have a selection of mufflers to try out.

I live in Michigan... since we do not have Emissions testing... i was thinking about an UEL straight to a single to dual Flowmaster Super 40 with one of my Electrical Engineering friends to hook me up with a little device to do some "magic" ;) ;)

Just throwing another idea out there.

Device? and a FM series 40 sounds sounds borderline bad on LGT on a 2.5i i would employ a resonator to help clean up the sound. Try using a Series Super 44 or a 60 Series since you will be using the muffler as a Y pipe.

Device? and a FM series 40 sounds sounds borderline bad on LGT on a 2.5i i would employ a resonator to help clean up the sound. Try using a Series Super 44 or a 60 Series since you will be using the muffler as a Y pipe.

it is very easy to fake out the rear o2 sensor to make it think it has a catalytic converter.

i was thinking a super 44 because they are a little slimmer, i'm more looking for a good sounding, fairly cheap exhaust because i have at least one leak and my mufflers are shot anyways. i mean those baffles are so close to gone, i can hear them rattling at 2k rpm sometimes. so you're saying i would still need a resonator if i was using a flowmaster super 40 or 44?

it is very easy to fake out the rear o2 sensor to make it think it has a catalytic converter.

i was thinking a super 44 because they are a little slimmer, i'm more looking for a good sounding, fairly cheap exhaust because i have at least one leak and my mufflers are shot anyways. i mean those baffles are so close to gone, i can hear them rattling at 2k rpm sometimes. so you're saying i would still need a resonator if i was using a flowmaster super 40 or 44?

you should use a resonator with either and the o2 fake out is cheap just use a spark plug fouler but honestly ive seen setups that have the two bungs and sensors welded in the pipe and it holds up well. And by that i assume you want to go catless so you may really need a res down stream to clean up the sound.

Yep, a catback.

Archived