LegacyGT.com

Going Stage 2...DP question.

TPLGT

Per the title, I am gogin stage 2.

I have decided to get a Cobb UP due to the raves they have receeived. I live in a state that has no emissions restrcitions. Shouls I got with the catless or stick with the catted?

I have heard issues of the catless really stinking up the inside of the car.

Any thoughts?

Rehab is for quitters.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:argue:Catless

Let the debate begin.

I say catless because you might gain 1 hp and 1 ft/lb and save yourself like $150 in the process. Is the smell noticable? sometimes but nothing to the point where my passengers complain or anything. I smell it sometimes and it never bothered me.

If you don't like smelling fumes; go with the catted DP. The power difference between the two is not even worth discussing. Plus if you have emissions checks in your location; they at least have a cat to look at instead of a straight pipe.
Let's kick this pig!

smell is nasty in the cabin, used to have cobb catless. Had to add a cat. Felt bad for these biker guys behind me one day, my car was dumping fumes and they were getting sick

If you run 100oct race fuel; it at least smells better for the people behind you when it comes out the pipes.:lol:

Let's kick this pig!

Ditto, Nebraska here also, Lincoln.

I don't mean to threadjack, but I also want to go Stage 2 and have some questions. I'm actually confused since I see talk of up AND dp. Anyone care to clarify?

What's the difference between a stock gutted pipe vs an aftermarket one? What are the average gains? Have people found it that a stock pipe has a better price/performance point vs aftermarket?

Does the car get any noticeably louder with no cats, or is it just the smell?

I'm basically trying to figure out what I'm looking at for Stage 2 and how much money we're talking.

If you go with a gutted stock UP you minamize the amount of heat soak adding to more performance. Gutted stock vs. aftermarket the power gains will be a difference of like 2 whp.

Completely catless post turbo youll notice the smell and it will be loud with full turboback although a turboback is not necessary for stage2.

youll save the most money by guttin the stock pipes, catless will be in the middle and highflow pipes are the most expensive. Performance wise all about the same

Wait, I'm even more confused now. Cobb mentions something about a turboback for Stage 2. So what do I need to do to get to Stg2? Downpipe AND uppipe work? What would be the "propper" or "ideal" way to do it? Gutted uppipe and an aftermarket downpipe with cats?

The bare minimum for running a Stage2 map is a gutted or aftermarket UP AND gutted or aftermarket DP. The ideal way to do a Stage2 Setup is to do the CBE with high flow mufflers also. You simlpy gain more power from the generic Stage2 map by reducing the back pressure created by the cats and resonator in the TBE(DP+CBE) and mufflers. After that you can also add an aftermarket TMIC, CAI, Header and so on, but you will need a custom tune that is adjusted for each additional part that you add. As far as hi-flow catted or cattless aftermarket DP, the major issue is preference as to noise and smell. I'm still technically stage2 with: CAI, Header, UP, AM TMIC, HFC DP, CBE, LWCP and LWFW.
Let's kick this pig!

Gutted Stocker DP vs say a COBB DP......... I'd be willing to bet a 10+whp difference

UP.......no power but a little better spool

So it's worth sticking with a stock gutted UP and an a/m DP?

Any complaints going this way? Smell issues?

Basically I'm an auto 05 LGT and want to be 300hp or darn close.

Where can I also find information on the transmission? Gear ratios and especially tolerance is what I'm interested in. Tolerance as in how much power it can safely handle. 50 extra horses is significant. I don't want to run into wear issues prematurely.

Archived