LegacyGT.com

Fifth Generation- Official Power thread

Fwiw I've had my car tuned in all stages of it on the very same dyno so it's been in a controlled setting.

Stock baseline was 240/242

Stage 2 meaning... RacerXtmic, invida catless dp, 3in mid, 08+ axlebacks. Stock fuel and turbo at 16.5psi was 297/356

Last bit of the build in addition to above with gsc cams. +1 exhaust/intake, RacerX charge pipe, 20.5psi was 335/412

Basically all you know it's been down for over a year...AGAIN...but FMIC will be made and debating a 20g to hold me over until I can save again. Goal is ~400hp/450+tq. I don't launch my car at all so not really worried about the transmission but I think if I go beyond that the "controlled fun" will turn into too much power and the wrong situation could turn real bad, real quick.

I don't launch my car either. Just too much worry on the trans. What turbo are you running now? I am sure I could find it but its too late and I am lazy.

Can't wait to see what you end up with.

I think the only other mod I would consider power wise, besides axle backs as I am sure I will roast the stock cans eventually, would be meth injection. That would be a nice option on hot days. That or move somewhere with e85.

I have seriously considered water and/or meth injection too. It might offset some of the heat related power loss that makes up 2/3 of life in Phoenix. I would even consider just water injection to avoid a retune and just decrease coolant temps.

IDK though, it's a significant investment to not take full advantage of it.

I think if its your daily driver and you're in traffic on hot days a lot, the fan would be a nifty handy tool. I have had intak temps of over 130 sitting in traffic on a 90 degree day

You should see what it's like in Phoenix! I had intake temps over 180 and coolant that would not go down below 213 no matter what (on a 116 day). I even emailed Cobb about it and they reassured me that my ecu could compensate for it... by taking all my power away.

I have even thought of just running a water sprayer to the outside of the IC. It is not a great solution, but when it is 105 outside anything will help.

I have actually thought about that quite a bit as well. I would consider using the windshield sprayer and just flushing it out and using mostly water. I could either reroute the sprayer nozzles to just inside the scoop, or T off the line and add a nozzle in there.

Running just water has danger of corrosion or freezing (not in PHX), so I could put some rubbing alcohol in too, but then I'd have to get the ratio right so I'm not introducing a flammable liquid into my super hot engine bay.

You should see what it's like in Phoenix! I had intake temps over 180 and coolant that would not go down below 213 no matter what (on a 116 day). I even emailed Cobb about it and they reassured me that my ecu could compensate for it... by taking all my power away.

:lol: Yea it sure does that! Heatsoak is the worst.

Just a thought but instead of a rad fan you could run a couple large PC tower fans on each end of the IC which would probably be the most beneficial spots and clear the stuff underneath. I could see that keeping IAT down a bit but probably more trouble then it's worth. Of course were well off topic now so back to numbers and graphs fellas. The more I see the more I want to dump a few grand I dont have into my high milage DD.

Running just water has danger of corrosion or freezing (not in PHX), so I could put some rubbing alcohol in too, but then I'd have to get the ratio right so I'm not introducing a flammable liquid into my super hot engine bay.

Don't overthink it too much, if it's freezing out you probably don't have to worry about heatsoak and won't be using the IC sprayer ;)

The OEM IC sprayer on the STi had a water tank in the trunk. When winter rolled around I used to drain out the water and replace it with just enough washer fluid to keep the lines from freezing. The OEM switch would run the sprayer for 30sec at a time, then there was a JDM switch you could get that just left the sprayer on until you turned it off again. The JDM switch was great for autox.

Friend of mine made a DIY IC sprayer for his bugeye wagon using the washer fluid tank and some sprayer nozzles from a local hydroponics store. Eventually I know he wanted to make the whole system boost activated, but I don't think he ever made it that far with it.

The 04-07 STi had water sprayers; I wouldn't get too excited about IC sprayers. I know some who did a CO2 sprayer on air to air intercooler which essentially froze IC. The temps looking great on datalog at the starting line of the 1/4 mile, but spraying the N20 for the whole 1/4 made no measurable difference. The intake temps didn't change with or without essentially after he was in boost and the temperatures started to rise.

I'll have to give this thing a shot when I have time maybe this weekend. But my numbers were ~295awhp, and 407awtrq on a mustang dyno, CT sea level, target set to 22.5psi (this is back on the stock turbo, had a 20g but crack in the housing, etc.)

Mods: Full nameless 3" TBE, stock chargepipe/headers, Turbosmart bpv full recirc, Grimspeed ebcs, full intake set up with 15wrx silicone hoses and cobb sf intake, AVO tmic, perrin tbc, ID1000cc injectors, dw65c pump, tgv deletes..think that's pretty much it for the most part.

I also don't launch the car, though when I get a new clutch I think I'll give it a try in the spring just to see haha. Over the winter depending on funds, I'll be having headers with a t4 flange, a fmic, and chargepipe probably made and probably go flexfuel. If I work out some deals with a shop I'll build the stock block and heads in addition to the other stuff, should make some solid power after :]

Don't overthink it too much, if it's freezing out you probably don't have to worry about heatsoak and won't be using the IC sprayer ;)

The OEM IC sprayer on the STi had a water tank in the trunk. When winter rolled around I used to drain out the water and replace it with just enough washer fluid to keep the lines from freezing. The OEM switch would run the sprayer for 30sec at a time, then there was a JDM switch you could get that just left the sprayer on until you turned it off again. The JDM switch was great for autox.

Friend of mine made a DIY IC sprayer for his bugeye wagon using the washer fluid tank and some sprayer nozzles from a local hydroponics store. Eventually I know he wanted to make the whole system boost activated, but I don't think he ever made it that far with it.

Yeah I was just thinking about the washer tank failing if it had pure water in it. A few times a year I spend a night or two in freezing weather.

I priced out the JDM STI setup, but for $100+ I think I'd rather get something else. When it's over 100 out the ecu has a lot of excuses to cut power so I'm not even sure how much a sprayer would help.