LegacyGT.com

Loose spark plug

Just did the 60k plug change on my wife's car. One of the plugs came out without ANY effort - it was not fully torqued down (my fault!) when the plugs were changed last at 30k. The plug that came out was extremely fouled all over - like thick black carbon. I'm surprised the car ran as smoothly as it did. Do you think there is any possible damage that could have been done by running a loose plug? Also, since the plug I pulled was so fouled (the other 3 were fine), does that mean the inside of the engine is that bad as well? Would this be a good case for Seafoam?

I would guess you were loosing compression.

But I would think if the plug was that loose it would sooner or later get blown out of the threads and take them with it.

After you have new plugs installed, how does it run ? If its fine don't worry.

What brand of gas do you use ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It seems to run fine after the change. The new one went in just fine and I made sure to fully torque it this time. My wife uses whatever gas is cheapest, except for the no-name brand stations. I guess I shouldn't worry about it. At least the old plug didn't blow out - that would have sucked!

Archived