LegacyGT.com

Perrin Short Ram Intake

HangKen

Any thoughts on this?

I am not talking about the Big MAF Intake System but the regular ones.

I tried and searched the forum but could not find any info on how people feel about the intake.

They State

"Our research team noted that proper MAF alignment and plumbing size are crucial to maintain proper air fuel ratios and prevent nasty check engine lights that plague our less than admirable competitors." (Taken from Perrin Home Page)

Meaning that Pro-Tune is not required by swapping this intake?

Which can translate to Lean Conditions are Avoided?

I saw couple of review about the intake on the REVIEW section but can't seem to find any Positives/Negatives about the intake.

At the same time, they are doing a temporary sale for $159.99 so is it worth it?

If it's a repost, I am sorry but I did search ;)

If you're running aftermarket engine-management, you'll definitely want to be tuned specifically for the Perrin Short Ram.

Trust me on this, don't even bother debating it - I've now been through two separate tuners (three, if you count an "e-tune" map) - and all have had to compensate for the rather erratic behavior of this intake in some way or form.

I'm addicted to the way my Perrin Short Ram sounds, and I've asked the same question you have of Cobb's technical support stuff, as well as have spent good money to compensate for this intake's shortcomings ( no pun intended :redface: ). Trust me on this one.

Off an otherwise fully stock vehicle (i.e. no ECU work, etc.), it's believe, by consensus here, that the Perrin Short Ram shouldn't push things over the edge.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Ahh, so I guess keeping the same diameter of the MAF Housing is good for a stock car but with having an AP together, it would create some sort of problem.

Gotcha!

I guess I have to go drive up to TDC to get it pro-tuned afterwards.

I was wondering if I put up a post where everyone is way too sick to respond to...LOL

Thanks for your info!

:) NP. :)

Be sure to talk to the TDC guys, first. Some tuners will have a preference for one intake over another, if you "must" have an intake, it might as well be one which your selected tuner is comfortable working with.

I just don't want you go go into this, and then wind up with extra bucks spent both on the intake (which, for typical "Stage II" applications, truly is more an aural guilty-pleasure than anything else) as well as extra dollars on the tune (i.e. dyno time, tuner time).

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I don't know about much :redface: , but the Perrin Short Ram is one issue that I'm intimate with, simply because I was so addicted to the way it made my car sound.

It was one of the few aftermarket intakes available for the LGT at the time, so I had plenty of experience chasing down its potential concerns, etc. :) Just tryin' to save you a bit of footwork, that's all. ;)

I bought the same short ram, but haven't installed it yet, as I was afraid I needed an AP to get the full potential. So, I should be fine with this and the intake hose BEFORE the AP, right?
If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

You mean the intake + the turbo inlet?

Unknown on the combined interaction of the two. I don't believe anyone has datalogged that combo on an otherwise stock vehicle......

Sorry. :redface:

Well bummer. And yes I was referring to the turbo inlet hose.

There has to be SOMEONE out there in the tuning world that has a configuration for this, right??!:confused:

^ There was one rather recently, however, the addition of aftermarket engine-management rather confounded the issue:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78440&highlight=perrin+short+ram

A lot's been edited-out by the OP (which I wish wouldn't have been the case, as we could all stand to learn a lot), but you can still infer more than enough from the various quotes as well as replies.

More, on the same vehicle/issue, here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78467&highlight=perrin+short+ram

It's impossible to say if the combination of the parts or the tune was the problem - or if it was an interaction of all of the above, plus repeatedly pushing the car after forced ECU resets, or even if there were underlying mechanical issues to begin with.

However, you can see why caution is warranted, with the combination, even without other changes to your car.

ahhh, so it must have been a trouble causer...

I read the thread and wow, all that from an intake...

I guess Perrin does not know what they are talking about when it comes to intake?

I love their other stuffs but man, this intake is a problem child!

^ I really don't know that all of it could be blamed on the intake/inlet tube.

The problem is that it's known that this particular intake will run the car a bit leaner (thus may make a bit more power), when the EM is factory-stock, but when combined with aftermarket EM, well, you can see that there's concern (and again, of my two tuners - three, if you count my temporary "semi-custom map" - both had to specifically deal with unique lean pleateaus on my vehicle, versus a generic, or even "semi-custom," map).

I don't think that the parts are necessarily "bad," per-se, but rather, that they require some thought as to engine-management solutions when the car's no longer "stock" in that particular area.

^ I really don't know that all of it could be blamed on the intake/inlet tube.

The problem is that it's known that this particular intake will run the car a bit leaner (thus may make a bit more power), when the EM is factory-stock, but when combined with aftermarket EM, well, you can see that there's concern (and again, of my two tuners - three, if you count my temporary "semi-custom map" - both had to specifically deal with unique lean pleateaus on my vehicle, versus a generic, or even "semi-custom," map).

I don't think that the parts are necessarily "bad," per-se, but rather, that they require some thought as to engine-management solutions when the car's no longer "stock" in that particular area.

So is it fair to say that if you get it pro-tuned, it should slove the problem?

Or would it be challenging for the tuners also? :rolleyes:

It's certainly not going to make your tuner kiss you.... :)

I know that Tim Bailey openly confessed that my intake was why it took him so long on the dyno.

I just took a look @ TDC's Sticky and it made me wanna....just not go with the intake....

Oh it's not even here yet!!

It's bound for tomorrow!

:rolleyes:

Oh, I can always return it, but just found out 20% restocking fee!!

Wow, better than selling on eBay and maybe getting a low price....

I am sure that it is a great intake but if the tuner states its easier for them to tune it with other brands, then I guess I have to go with it.

They did a great topic about the intake so here is the link

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48882

Cleveland area crew +1 :)

Hey!!!!

I didn't know you were from around Cleveland!!! :wub:

I'm in Shaker Heights. Where are you?

Ahh, must sell on eBay then....

This is what happens when you jump the gun to purchase items on sale...

:spin:

Yea, i did the same thing. Bought it on sale. Should have researched a bit longer... Live and learn i guess.:spin:

Yes the Perrin intke is a poor design, it is very erratic and inconsistent. Even when dialed in to what seems to be correct, the metered air can fluctuate and so will your AFR. All while the air being tookin in is constant, think "lean, rich, lean rich....."

:)

Check our local Subaru (and other) enthusiast Forum: www.LERSOC.com - Lake Erie Regional Subaru Owners Club. :D

Great bunch of guys and gals.

I haven't made a true "meet," yet, in my 2+ years there. :redface: We bought our Scoobies when we were pregnant, and so I had little time to get away....

In the warmer months, meets are routinely organized, as well as tune-dates and AutoX events.

Archived