LegacyGT.com

3rd and 4th gear not engaging

So I was driving down the street the other day and when I went to shift to 3rd it wouldn't go and 4th wouldn't either. The shifter would go into place but it wouldn't engage. 1st 2nd reverse and 5th works but 3rd and 4th do not engage. I was thinking that my 3rd and 4th just broke and shattered and are at the bottom of my transmission box but before I go drop 2000 dollars I wanted to be certain. Has anyone had similar problems?

• 3 weeks later...
So is there anyway to determine which one it is without dropping out the whole transmission or is that the only way? Just so I can get this done as fast as possible without having my car out of commission for too long. If not does anyone know any good transmission shops that are trustworthy around Littleton/sw Denver area?80128

I would start with inspecting the linkage parts you can see from under the car and make sure that everything looks ok and is moving properly when shifting. I would however assume that it is because it works fine in 1,2 and 5th.

Assuming that the external part of the linkage is fine then the problem most likely lies with the selector fork which is inside the trans. The only way to get to this and fix it is to drop the trans and split the case. I believe that PPG makes billet selector forks because the stock ones occasionally do fail. You can replace the stock fork with another stock one or the aftermarket ppg ones.

Archived