LegacyGT.com

water dripping on passenger floor

hi, this is my first post. my wife drove the legacy down to san diego and after the four hour drive, while using the ac, she found the passenger side floor full of water and could feel it dripping down from in back of the glove compartment. Anyone have any ideas of what might be the cause?

Simplest answer is a clogged evaporator drain line. Climb under the car and you should see a small hose hanging down around the back of the front passenger wheel well. I can't remember exactly where it is, but it's under there. Once you find it, take a wet dry vac and use your hand to make up the differences in hose size and try to suck any gunk out.

If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer. They can unclog the line and if that's not the problem, the other causes of water leakage are beyond a DIY fix.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The line's actually pretty easy to get to from inside the car, too. Mine clogged a couple weeks ago, and I couldn't get it cleared from under the hood. Going inside the car, I was able to remove the whole line and while holding my finger over where it came off to keep the water from flooding out onto my floor, I was able to blow through the line to clear it. When I put the line back on, a lot more water came flowing out through it.

I can't remember what all I removed, but it only took a few minutes to get to it. The hose is held onto the fitting with a spring clamp.

• 3 years later...
I am having the same problem but not even close to the amount of water as in soda's post (#4)...........so I can get to this line from the inside of the car?? I planned on pulling back the carpet that is near the radio and under the glove box to see what I can find tomorrow afternoon. Any other tips locating the evaporator drain line from inside the car?!?! Thanks!

I found the hose. Take off the inside bottom panel under the glove box with 3 pop-its. The black hose is almost directly back in the corner closest to the firewall and the radio.

Problem is, I can't find where it GOES to. It also was getting dark. I'll just put the car on a jack tomorrow and find it outside tomorrow.

Edit: it does not look or smell like coolant (I tasted it). The funky smell I was smelling must have been the water built up in the tray under the glove box.

• 4 years later...

Archived