LegacyGT.com

Winter Tires Q/A

gmartinez1900

So I am planning on purchasing some new rims and tires for the winter months....Starting doing some research and found Nitto Motivo NT-90W to be a good option. Others I am considering are:

Michelin X-Ice Xi2 or 3

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2

Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

Just wondering what you are all running out there. I live in Michigan, lower Michigan so I get snow but not deep snow like the north.

Also if anyone knows of any nice 17'' Rims that are black...preferably 5-6 spoke(ish)...taking all notes.

Thanks!

I run Conti DWS (on 18" Rota Grids) from fall-spring, which handles anything that mother nature can throw at me here. But when headed up north (eg, VT, Canada, NH, Maine etc) for snowboarding, I swap over to Blizzak LM60s (on 17" OZ Ultraleggeras).

As for rims, a lot of folks just plastidip their SpecB or 5-spoke LGT wheels and call it a day. If you're running a BBK, 04 STI BBS is a common choice as well (but on the more expensive side). Motegi MR118's are a staple as well.

I'm going with a set of General Altimax Arctics in 205/50 17 on my stock LGT wheels. Taller and skinnier.

They transform cars that should suck in the snow (slammed accord without abs or LSD), so I can only imagine how beast the LGT will be with them. Only downside is that they're only speed-rated to 99mph, which is fine since, you know, winter.

Then just find a set of 17's or 18's that I like before spring.

I used to pay a lot for high end snow tires, but the past few sets I've used General Altimax Artics. They are typically the least expensive, and they work far better than any non-snow focused tire.

Any modern snow tire will work for you just fine. Some focus on ice while others focus on deep snow, but they are all generally pretty effective overall.

Thanks for the feed back , I am researching Generals right now for 225/55/R17 fit

I went with 215 55 17 for my 3.0R. Last August I paid $384 shipped to my house (after tax) from discount tire direct on EBay.

Edit: 3.0R sedan. Not 3.0r Outback sedan. Your sidewalls may need to be taller.

Ahh, The General Altimax Arctics. I had a new set on my car over the last winter. Pretty capable in the snow, slush etc. The tread depth when new is deeper than others. Otherwise I was disappointed with them. They feel like marshmallows when it comes to handling, but I was somewhat expecting that. They didn't track well. They liked to wander around in the lane, requiring constant corrections. I had wished I spent more and got a tire that didn't have that wandering issue.

Since they had 9/32" tread left, I had no trouble selling them on Craigslist. Hopefully My new set won't disappoint me like the Generals.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Otherwise I was disappointed with them. They feel like marshmallows when it comes to handling, but I was somewhat expecting that. They didn't track well. They liked to wander around in the lane, requiring constant corrections.

They're only a Q speed rating, 99mph. Now that has more to do with the tire's dynamics than just top speed being run. My old tires were Toyo Observe Garit KX in 215/45/17 and they were an H rated tire. Decent performance when dry, where the Generals would be baloons. Just sold those and I'm getting some Blizzak LM32 for my next set. Those are V rated, so I'd expect good dry performance from them as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I also live in Michigan, but closer to Lake Michigan and we get a lot of the "lake effect" snow over here. I have used a lot of different snow tires over the years. Yokohama ice guards, Coopers, Firestone Winterforce, Blizzak ws-60, Blizzak ws-70, and this year I am trying out the Blizzak ws-80. Also, my wife has used the Goodyear Ultragrip on her Tribeca. I have had good luck with all of them. Not much to report on with the Yokohama and Coopers. They worked. I've used the Winterforce on a couple different vehicles. I used them first on a rt4wd 98' Honda CRV. They did great during snow. A little noisy on dry. The issue was driving on grooved highway pavement they would "track" and it was real sketchy! I also have the Winterforce in a smaller size on my company car (13' Nissan Sentra) size 205/55/16 and had great results with them last year. Not to noisy, good wear, never got it stuck even with just fwd, and I drive that car 700-1000miles a week. Before the Winterforce on the Sentra I had the Blizzak ws60 on there in the same size. The thing I have noticed most between the Winterforce and the Blizzak is that the Winterforce, as they wear, seems to loose some of their snow grip, where the Blizzak seem to keep their grip until very low tread.

This year for my obxt I will be trying out the Blizzak ws80. I've heard nothing but great things about them, but cannot report on them yet.

For the Goodyear Ultragrip on the Tribeca we also had great luck. Those are pretty quiet, ride smooth, great traction, and seem to wear pretty good as well. She doesn't do near the amount of driving as I do, but hasn't had any complaints.

Just had a set of Blizzak WS80 installed on Sunday (205/50 17) - after assuring the tire tech at Costco that yes they will fit, even though they are a little taller than the OEM size. Costco has $70 off a set of Bridgestone tires until 11/29.

I'm amazed at how quiet they are. Handling is softer, but not much softer than the Conti DWS I have on my other set of wheels.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived