LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

update/ dealer did an alignment and it was only slightly off. Don t think there will be much difference. It is solid straight under 60 mph.... not wondering if what we are feeling is the electronic steering (15s).?

After all even Porsche 911 s went to this and lots of guys don t like the feel.

update/ dealer did an alignment and it was only slightly off. Don t think there will be much difference. It is solid straight under 60 mph.... not wondering if what we are feeling is the electronic steering (15s).?

After all even Porsche 911 s went to this and lots of guys don t like the feel.

I was going to mention the electric steering. That was what I thought while driving on the highway. At higher speeds, it has a bit of "twitchiness", definitely different from the dead-on feel of the older gens. I am ok with it, still going to put on the RSB once I have the time.

I'm also looking to do this upgrade but I have a question maybe someone can help me with. I see that this upgrade is 19mm (stock 17, right?). I also saw that an upgraded bar for the 2014 Forester is 20mm (what's stock?) Hoping I could only buy one upgrade for the Forester and use that OEM one as the upgrade for this...possible or am I dreaming ;)

Thanks

Jason

it might take 20 minutes, start with the correct parts. stock bar is definitely wimpy looking. hopefully the end links will be ok for a bit. Gonna try to put it on now

Why does the photos of the bar on the decklid of the mustang not look like this one on the page selling the bar?

http://subaruonlineparts.com/images/20451FG020_20464FG020.jpg

Guest rayms69
tire pressures were off, never trust anyone on your tires. front 36/37 rear 38/38, i adjusted to 33 in front and 32 rear. should hold the road a little better Edited by rayms69

• 1 month later...

I ve post here before with the wandering issue. Alignment done again, tires pressures checked, dealer looked under car. The wandering above 70 MPH is annoying at best. I took rayms69 s advise and ordered my new 19mm bar.

Will post my opinion after installing.....

If you guys are getting wandering that's a tire issue in my opinion. Combination of the tread pattern and tread depth, it should get better as the tires wear down. Not much you can do in my opinion except adjust tire pressure which might help a little bit, as mentioned earlier.

*Before someone jumps on me, I just wanted to clarify what I mean. When I hear "wandering", I think tramlining as described in the nasioc post in the link below. As I said above I think tramlining is 100% tires and road surface as the link below states. Floating on the other hand could have a number of other causes, like a rear sway bar that isn't big enough and strong enough to keep the car down.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=40189615&postcount=5

"What do you mean by "wandering"? The term is ambiguous.

There are two feels I'm familiar with on the freeway, floating and tramlining.

Floating is where the wheel feels disconnected from the road. The car likes to wander all over the place (generally slowly) and you don't have much control over where it's going. This is caused by worn/soft bushings and/or low grip tires with a big sidewall. The car starts floating one direction, and it takes more wheel movement than should be necessary to bring it back in line. Ever watch an old sitcom where somebody's driving and they're moving the wheel 30 deg back and forth while still going straight? That would be a car that's susceptible to wandering.

Tramlining is where the wheel still feels connected to the road, but the car drives as if the tires are steering you (in Soviet Russia!! ehm...). The tires are pushing the wheel all over the place and it's up to you to fight against it to keep the car going straight. This can be an alignment issue, or it could simply be normal. Some tires like to tramline, and some roads are filled with ruts that make the feeling 10x worse. There could be a problem, or it could simply be a combination of worn roads and grippy tires. My STi tramlines like a mother****er on certain roads (36 between Broomfield and Boulder) because of the deep ruts in the road."

*One more edit. My dad has a toyota 4runner, when it was new it had terrible, I mean TERRIBLE wander/floating at highway speeds. The problem got better as the tires wore down, and the problem also got much better by running different tires on the car. So I just wanted to explain my reasoning for saying tires, tires, tires. I've experienced this terrible phenomenon myself on a different car, and on my own car when my snow tires were brand new, for the first season that I used them before they wore down a bit. Though actually when the problem happened on my car with snow tires, the decription of "tramlining" fit my experience better.

Edited by apexi

Guest rayms69
sway bar correct my issue, a 20 mm would probably be perfect but it was on back order so i got the 19mm, 20mm in spring probably, 22mm is too much for me. 19 has me not complaining. wind blown too much, wasnt tires. Noodle of a stock sway bar, subaru should be flogged

If you guys are getting wandering that's a tire issue in my opinion. Combination of the tread pattern and tread depth, it should get better as the tires wear down. Not much you can do in my opinion except adjust tire pressure which might help a little bit, as mentioned earlier.

*Before someone jumps on me, I just wanted to clarify what I mean. When I hear "wandering", I think tramlining as described in the nasioc post in the link below. As I said above I think tramlining is 100% tires and road surface as the link below states. Floating on the other hand could have a number of other causes, like a rear sway bar that isn't big enough and strong enough to keep the car down.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=40189615&postcount=5

"What do you mean by "wandering"? The term is ambiguous.

There are two feels I'm familiar with on the freeway, floating and tramlining.

Floating is where the wheel feels disconnected from the road. The car likes to wander all over the place (generally slowly) and you don't have much control over where it's going. This is caused by worn/soft bushings and/or low grip tires with a big sidewall. The car starts floating one direction, and it takes more wheel movement than should be necessary to bring it back in line. Ever watch an old sitcom where somebody's driving and they're moving the wheel 30 deg back and forth while still going straight? That would be a car that's susceptible to wandering.

Tramlining is where the wheel still feels connected to the road, but the car drives as if the tires are steering you (in Soviet Russia!! ehm...). The tires are pushing the wheel all over the place and it's up to you to fight against it to keep the car going straight. This can be an alignment issue, or it could simply be normal. Some tires like to tramline, and some roads are filled with ruts that make the feeling 10x worse. There could be a problem, or it could simply be a combination of worn roads and grippy tires. My STi tramlines like a mother****er on certain roads (36 between Broomfield and Boulder) because of the deep ruts in the road."

*One more edit. My dad has a toyota 4runner, when it was new it had terrible, I mean TERRIBLE wander/floating at highway speeds. The problem got better as the tires wore down, and the problem also got much better by running different tires on the car. So I just wanted to explain my reasoning for saying tires, tires, tires. I've experienced this terrible phenomenon myself on a different car, and on my own car when my snow tires were brand new, for the first season that I used them before they wore down a bit. Though actually when the problem happened on my car with snow tires, the decription of "tramlining" fit my experience better.

I agree its most likely tires as I have researched this with other vehicles also. Heck my 911 did it for a period. Would be interesting to know if only those with the bigger 18 inch wheels experience this.

But for 100 bucks I ll try the larger sway bar as it may steady things up as some have reported. It may be a combination of tires AND too small a sway bar.

installed rear 19mm sway bar. Went easy, had car on ramps. I was the unlucky one who had to use the 5MM allen to hold the endlinks from spinning with the nut upon removal.

What I noticed was a large weight difference in the stock bar and the 19mm bar.

In the middle of a snow storm now so other than a quick spin I could not report if the new bar improved the stabilization of the vehicle. I have a 600 mile drive coming up soon and it s all highway so I can report back then.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put one of these 19mm on this morning. Thanks to Ray for being our guinea pig!

It wasn't a big job at all. I put the car on ramps for easier access. Would've taken less time, but my son stole my 12mm socket! The bolts were real easy to get off and the bar was easy enough to position.

Of course with any job, there is always something that pisses you off. When grabbing the endlink to pull the bolt off the bar, I accidentally grabbed the endlink grease-filled rubber boot for a split second and pushed some of the grease out. Hopefully it'll be alright.

Just took it for a spin around the block to listen for noises so I can't speak toward its performance just yet.

Thanks, Ray!