LegacyGT.com

Oil and MT6: be careful!!!

CEVENN

Hi.

I had a problem with my MT6, on SpecB 3.0R, 100.000kms, after my dealer (!!!:mad:) change it's oil:

I don't know what kind of oil he use, I have to go to see him back for that (90 kms from home...), but since he change it, I had problems starting with shifting 5th to 6th, with a "craaaack" when on charge (full throttle and 4000 or 5000 rpm).:eek:

Only in this way.

They said me on phone it was the "syncro" (I don't know if it's the good word in english) of the 5th gear which was out of order.:mad:

In France, Subaru dealers don't work on gearbox!

They use to sent the gearbox to Subaru France, and it should take 15 days, and cost 5000$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

So I decide to change the oil, in another dealer, to be sure: Motul Gear 300, 75w90, 4 liters, for about 100$: immediatly PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spin::spin::spin:

No more "craaaaaack", even on full charge, and shifting is very smooth, even when the car is cold.....

I'm going to tell this dealer my point of wiew for his poor oil, and I hope it has not dammage my gearbox!!!:confused:

Take care of your oil....:rolleyes:;)

And sorry for mistakes in english.....:lol:

Fred.

If guns are not available how about driving some nails through the end of a baseball bat and taking some batting practice on the mechanics balls!

Come on, man. You French know how to get violent. Forget all that WWII stuff and think French Revolution.

Basically, I think this is what happening -

since the tranny does not have an oil filter, some of the crud generated by the tranny will get deposited in small nooks of the assembly or become suspended in the oil. while there is a magnet in the drain plug, that can only pick up so much of the gunk.

when you change the tranny oil after this has happened for a long time (like at 100k-miles), the cleaning properties of the new oil will dislodge a lot of this gunk, which may or may not get caught by the cleaned magnet drain plug. This gunk can get into moving transmission parts and wreak havoc. I have not heard about this happenign much to Subarus but have read much about how this happens to Rangers and F150s.

So, sadly, i think no matter what oil the guy used would cause this problem, and i would argue that better oil may cause this even more.

For tranny oil that is changed on a much more regular basis, i think this will not happen.

I feel like a good way to change tranny fluid on a car with an unclear tranny fluid change history, or known high mileage after the last fluid change is to:

1. drain old tranny fluid

2. pour in GL-5 or other factory spec CHEAP tranny fluid

3. run for 5-10 miles

4. drain again

5. fill with good oil.

I feel like in your case, whatever the oil the first dealer put in did its job

Ive read some bad things about a reverse tranny flush which can also cause particles to get lodged in places they do not belong.

old timers on the site, back me up if this logic is clear - if not I'd love to know.

that sounds fairly reasonable to me.

almost sounds like a method of flushing/changing the power steering fluid i know of...except you'd do it multiple times.....but that's quite different from doing the tranny..

wouldn't hurt to do so either. i am looking to change my tranny/dif fluid every year.

(excessive, yes. but i'd rather have my car running well)

Recommended gear oil, particularly for thje 6MT is specially formulated Subaru Extra-S oil. It's sold in the U.S. (in 20L pails only!), no idea if it is available in France. If the Motul works for you, of course keep using.

Hi.

I had a problem with my MT6, on SpecB 3.0R, 100.000kms, after my dealer (!!!:mad:) change it's oil:

I don't know what kind of oil he use, I have to go to see him back for that (90 kms from home...), but since he change it, I had problems starting with shifting 5th to 6th, with a "craaaack" when on charge (full throttle and 4000 or 5000 rpm).:eek:

Only in this way.

They said me on phone it was the "syncro" (I don't know if it's the good word in english) of the 5th gear which was out of order.:mad:

In France, Subaru dealers don't work on gearbox!

They use to sent the gearbox to Subaru France, and it should take 15 days, and cost 5000$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

So I decide to change the oil, in another dealer, to be sure: Motul Gear 300, 75w90, 4 liters, for about 100$: immediatly PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spin::spin::spin:

No more "craaaaaack", even on full charge, and shifting is very smooth, even when the car is cold.....

I'm going to tell this dealer my point of wiew for his poor oil, and I hope it has not dammage my gearbox!!!:confused:

Take care of your oil....:rolleyes:;)

And sorry for mistakes in english.....:lol:

Fred.

Basically, I think this is what happening -

since the tranny does not have an oil filter, some of the crud generated by the tranny will get deposited in small nooks of the assembly or become suspended in the oil. while there is a magnet in the drain plug, that can only pick up so much of the gunk.

when you change the tranny oil after this has happened for a long time (like at 100k-miles), the cleaning properties of the new oil will dislodge a lot of this gunk, which may or may not get caught by the cleaned magnet drain plug. This gunk can get into moving transmission parts and wreak havoc. I have not heard about this happenign much to Subarus but have read much about how this happens to Rangers and F150s.

So, sadly, i think no matter what oil the guy used would cause this problem, and i would argue that better oil may cause this even more.

For tranny oil that is changed on a much more regular basis, i think this will not happen.

I feel like a good way to change tranny fluid on a car with an unclear tranny fluid change history, or known high mileage after the last fluid change is to:

1. drain old tranny fluid

2. pour in GL-5 or other factory spec CHEAP tranny fluid

3. run for 5-10 miles

4. drain again

5. fill with good oil.

I feel like in your case, whatever the oil the first dealer put in did its job

Ive read some bad things about a reverse tranny flush which can also cause particles to get lodged in places they do not belong.

old timers on the site, back me up if this logic is clear - if not I'd love to know.

Hi.

I'm sorry, I may not understand everything, my english fail sometimes!!!:lol:

The problem disappeared immediatly after changing the oil, at the first shift!!!

I think if it was some "gunk" it may disappear after few kilometers only, no?

Archived