LegacyGT.com

Airbag Light in Cluster stays on

LegacyGT2007

Hey Guys, my airbag light has been popping on after I drive my car for about 20mins or so. Once I turn off the car and restart goes away then comes back. I brought it to Subaru and they couldn't find any problems. Surprise! Anyways it is going back in tomorrow and just curious if anyone has had this issue.

I am hoping it pops on tomorrow on the way to the dealership so I can show the tech.

Details on the car it is an 2007 GT. Has anyone had this problem? If so please help.

Thanks.

friend of mine had this problem on an 05. Had a bad airbag module in the seat. Not pretty.. they have to cut the seat open to get it out and have a shop sew it back up.

Chances are you have a loose connection on one of the modules or one of the modules is going bad. The main unit behind the radio may also be the problem.

I woudln't advise checking the airbag connections yourself at the modules tho. They're expensive to replace if they go off.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I have this issue from time to time.

I was told by the dealer over the phone to check the connections under the driver and passenger seat, bed them back into the sockets properly.

Found the drivers seat at fault. If I place my street directory under there, I bump it and the airbag lights up again. next time I stop, I reach under and re seat and then restart the car.

Good luck with yours

Tim

interesting. Thanks for the update. This seems like something that may become rather common, although the response to this thread has been limited.. the fact that I've seen 2 people that it happened to (you and one other) means it could happen to EVERYONE! lol
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Happening to me too. Few weeks ago when driving with my gf, red AIRBAG light came on in the cluster, passenger airbag light moves to OFF. Light went away after a restart. Have been driving by myself to class for the past two weeks, nothing on the seat, and the red AIRBAG light in the cluster with randomly come on, even while just driving on cruise.

Told the tech when I brought it in for an oil change, plugged it in, and couldn't get a specific code out of it, just a generic error code. He said he would have to call the tech line and call me back.

Now the red AIRBAG light is always on, regardless of restarting the car. Passenger airbag on/off seems to work perfectly.

Edit: How long would something like this be under warranty? It's not powertrain, so I would assume 36k miles? Is there an extended warranty for needed safety features like this? Having to pay hundreds of dollars for an airbag sensor to work properly in a 57k mile car is not something I want to do.

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure ejoy, I would think the dealership would cover this fix. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Dealership is not going to fix this now, but said it's going to cost $1900-2000 to have it fixed as it needs a new seat frame. So instead of a simple fix, it's now going to cost me 2 grand to have the airbags work properly in a car with 59k miles on it.

Go go Subaru quality!

• 2 weeks later...
A lot of the time its the harness underneath the seats.... i find that when objects (umbrellas, clubs, magazines, empty soda bottles) hit the harness they tend to jar the harness loose, causing the airbag light to come on. as mention above, you can usually fix this by re-connecting the harness'

It is only covered for 3/36k unless you purchased and extended warranty. Also many times, I have seen just the harness under the seats cause this, or where something under it came in contact with a harness.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
Over the last week or so my air bag light is coming on in the cluster. (I'm a technician for BMW by the way) Sometimes it comes on first start up or comes on while driving. Once the key is cycled light goes out. This happens regardless if there is someone in the passenger or not. The seat occupancy sensor seems to be working properly but you can never be sure. On BMW's the air bag light can come on even when the seat occupancy sensor appears to be working when really there is an internal break. I tried to read the codes with my accessport but the code was no longer active. Is this something that Subaru will warrenty diagnosis for? Or should I try to figure it out myself. I think i could perform the repair if neccessary as long as there is now encoding needed. Any info anyone has will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Trying to get more info from you guys.

I swapped a set of leathers in favor of the cloths. The previous owner said there was a possible issue with the airbag sensor and that's why he had the extra set.

So I have the leather seats in, and my cloth ones out. The easiest thing for me to do right now is to try to swap the occupancy module under the seat (the black box) and I'm hoping that's it.

If it's the sensors in the rails.. that looks like it's a lot more challenging. I saw someone mention perhaps it's airbag sensors inside the seat? That sounds like a bad thing to try.

What I do notice however, is that the passenger airbag on/off does not like to cycle nor does the seatbelt chime work. I'm thinking that this is the fault. Any fixes that someone can suggest?

Thanks!

I swapped the occupancy module this morning and no dice.. I'm still looking at the easiest way to go about this. My next train of thought is to replace the wiring as it looks like the sensors in the rail are going to be a major pain since the power and non-power are not the same size of rails.

• 9 months later...

About a year ago I had the same problem in my 05 GT.

Dealer checked codes and said every airbag code was logged, and noticed that the battery was not holding a full charge and that corrosion may be introducing excess resistance into the system. Charged the battery, removed the corrosion and reset the codes. Problem went away, until this past week (also a very cold day - similar temp to when this first happened a year ago). I thought maybe it was the battery/corrosion issue again so I bought a new battery.

Light still on. I'm bringing it to the dealer this week. Has anyone had additional experience with this?

• 4 months later...
Trying to get more info from you guys.

I swapped a set of leathers in favor of the cloths. The previous owner said there was a possible issue with the airbag sensor and that's why he had the extra set.

So I have the leather seats in, and my cloth ones out. The easiest thing for me to do right now is to try to swap the occupancy module under the seat (the black box) and I'm hoping that's it.

If it's the sensors in the rails.. that looks like it's a lot more challenging. I saw someone mention perhaps it's airbag sensors inside the seat? That sounds like a bad thing to try.

What I do notice however, is that the passenger airbag on/off does not like to cycle nor does the seatbelt chime work. I'm thinking that this is the fault. Any fixes that someone can suggest?

Thanks!

Any time the seat is removed, the ODS system needs to be recalibrated with a special weighted tool. Don't touch the sensors in the rails - they are only available with the whole frame assembly.

I'm assuming, of course, that the seats you swapped were from the same year?

• 2 weeks later...
I also have airbag light on my cluster. Went to dealership and they said I have to replace my maplight. I have gold plus extended warranty and they said its not covered. So I have to pay $300 outta my pocket. My first Subaru and nothing but problems. Is this something I can contact SOA and dispute? Anybody know their email address? Getting this fixed on Friday.

I called SOA and the rep told me she called the dealership to see what was wrong with my car. She said they had to replace passenger airbag on off switch. I guess that on off switch is on my map light because my receipt saids they replaced map lite assembly. She said the part I had to replace wasnt covered under my Gold Plus extended warranty.

I dont understand how something related to airbag isnt covered under the extended coverage I got. Dose anybody have any insight on this?

• 2 weeks later...
My air bag light is now on in the cluster after I unplugged the DRL's. I had to unplug those for my new HID's. I thought they were related till I checked here. Would moving my seat back to get under the dash easier mess around with my airbag sensor in my seat?

Archived