LegacyGT.com

Symptons to something worse to come....

First off: I've gone through numorous threads and all have been helpful but I'm still trying to figure out what's going on:

General information:

2005 Lgt Limited - auto (yeah I know first mistake)

Mileage - 152,000

Past modifications - Cobb intake & Cobb AP (both no longer on car)

Symptoms:

- 2 weeks ago: high pitch tone from the turbo (this lasted for two days then went away)

- Saturday 17th: After driving 2 hrs in heavy rain went to get some food and car almost overheated in drive thru. Fans were working but the temp slowly creeped up thankfully not into the red but close. Only way I eventually got the temp to go down is simply turning off the engine when the drive thru wasn't moving.

The temp did in fact stay down and hasn't gone up since.

- Monday night 19th: Car started making the high pitch tones from the turbo and did "bog" a bit - but then recovered - didn't make the high pitch sound when coming back from gym.

- Tuesday 20th - this morning: Started car up and maybe after 5 seconds I noticed an unfamliar rattling sound. I know Subaru's are imfamous for not being the quietest cars but this was distinct. I did manage to video so I could get the audio. I checked this once again after I drove to work and the rattling sound was gone.

So after all this it's boggling my mind. All symptoms seem to come and go but I'm hesitant to drive for longer then 2 hrs with the chances of being stranded roadside.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if I missed anything or if this is in the wrong forum location.

Trisha

@ 150K miles - when did the timing belt / water pump get replaced? I'm assuming it did - I don't know too many that last that long. I ask because of the temp problems...

Also, check/change the oil, check the banjo bolt fitting, and you might want to think about replacing the up pipe (the 05's have a cat in the up pipe - they can break up and destroy the engine). The banjo fitting you'll find info on here about, the up pipe too.

... and an 05 isn't a mistake.. it's a challenge!!

Thank you much for the response:

The timing belt and water pump have both been replaced - within the last 2 yrs but I'd have to look at my records to be sure exactly when.

Oil was just changed last week - I'll for sure check on the banjo bolt & up pipe.

oops that came out wrong - I meant - mistake as in getting an auto LGT - I should have been patient and gotten a manual :)

Thanks again for your info - appreciated!! :)

T

I don't know but it may be time to check your turbo for any play. I've heard people describing the sound of marbles rolling around and that's a sure sign the turbo is dying and may kill the engine.

This thread provides a nice description of symptoms of dying turbos. I hope that's not what you have but better be safe than sorry.

sounds like beginning of turbo failure.. I had same type concerns in my wrx, the turbo would actually stop working/then work/then stop, it was like driving a civic w/o the turbo working..

did you ever remove banjo bolt filter? turbo replacment?

I would pull the DP and check the turbo for shaft play.

If there's to much play, buy a catless up pipe and a new turbo. I went with a vf52, some go with a BNR16g.

You should also check the cooling system for a air bubble.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not to thread-jack, but that's a new one on me.. care to elaborate? (not trolling - I just haven't heard of that before)

Also, +1 to Checking the turbo - haven't done it myself yet (108K-stock), but from what I've seen it's not too hard.

I meant - mistake as in getting an auto LGT

yeah.. me too. Someone finally went and started a 6MT swap - I'm hopeful they finish before mine goes! ..or there still a few non-exploded MT left :lol:

sounds like beginning of turbo failure.. I had same type concerns in my wrx, the turbo would actually stop working/then work/then stop, it was like driving a civic w/o the turbo working..

did you ever remove banjo bolt filter? turbo replacment?

Haven't had an issue with the turbo till now. Isn't too bad considering the miles..

I would pull the DP and check the turbo for shaft play.

If there's to much play, buy a catless up pipe and a new turbo. I went with a vf52, some go with a BNR16g.

Definitely going to have a look see on all mentioned above.

Thank you much for the info.

I don't know but it may be time to check your turbo for any play. I've heard people describing the sound of marbles rolling around and that's a sure sign the turbo is dying and may kill the engine.

This thread provides a nice description of symptoms of dying turbos. I hope that's not what you have but better be safe than sorry.

I'll check out that link for sure. Yeah I'm hoping it's not a the turbo but unfortunately from all the given info it's beginning to sound like it.

Archived