LegacyGT.com

Just picked up my first Subie

Whats up everyone! I just picked up a white 99 legacy gt 30th anniversary. Just had a few questions. I've been searching but wanted to make sure before I buy.

-2004 Sti springs fit on the legacy correct? Also will the stock STI springs lower the LGT any?

-There is a Semi Local shop that sells the GT-B swaps I believe, the twin turbo ones? Anyway they sell them complete with trans for a good price. Just wondering if that is a bolt in swap for the future or if there is a lot involved on getting in there. I don't see it much so I figure something is up.

Thanks everyone :cool:

Hey DEEPfrom1,

welcome to the forum!

for those springs to fit you will need to have wrx struts, they wont give you a noticeable look, well maybe to you. If you want noticeable I would say WRX struts with h&r lowering springs they will give you a 1.5 inch drop in the front and I think a 1" in the back. Or IF you wanna control how low you can go Get coilovers, as you can go from your stock hieght to crawling on the ground if you wanted to(just have to worry about fender rubbing if your going to be that low haha).

As for that show that does GT-B swaps I'm guessing you dont live in the US, as if you do, its a a big pain to fit the twin turbo (ej20tt) in with out alot of custom fabrication as the steering collum (for the US) is in the way of the turbo being put in. If the shop is doing this for a good price with a tranny, then get all the facts from them first a do a little more research before jumping into the frying pot of mods haha.

ps. check out sl-i.net they have a little more on our older legacys such as moding and soforth

thats awesome to see another white lgt lucky you have the 30th edition, I have the exact same car but I have the limited which didnt come with the anniversary badges :( Post of a pic of your new ride!! here is my baby!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/djkool707/DSC_0352.jpg]

Yes I live in the U.S. The company is selling the engine with the trans for $999. Significantly cheaper than all other EJ20's. Would it be possible to convert it single turbo? Then it would mostly be drop in correct? I will look around some more.

Suspension: Well the struts on my car are basically brand new. So I will most likely order the H&R springs made for my vehicle and save some money and time. Anyone have any experience with these springs?

Thanks everyone, I will post some pics today or tomorrow.

Yes I live in the U.S. The company is selling the engine with the trans for $999. Significantly cheaper than all other EJ20's. Would it be possible to convert it single turbo? Then it would mostly be drop in correct? I will look around some more.

Suspension: Well the struts on my car are basically brand new. So I will most likely order the H&R springs made for my vehicle and save some money and time. Anyone have any experience with these springs?

Thanks everyone, I will post some pics today or tomorrow.

I used to have H&R's love the ride quality (but i also have a 27mm sway part that gives a hash ride) and i loved the stiffness of them. I say used to as i had a blown strut which i replaced my wrx struts with the springs with my stockies

booo stock hieght:spin:

You yeah you asked about the engine, im guessing your looking on ebay?? As you see subaru stopped making the ej20tt for a couple of reasons, too much maintenance, not efficiency enough. therefore they stuck with the single turbo on design. I just if you were going to do a swap to do a wrx you save money over doing the sti swap and with a downpipe, sti intercooler, catback exhaust and a tune you can have ALOT of fun ( i traded cars with a friend today who had that setup amazing as iono what!!)

Not to discourage but swaps aren't cheap and especially the one your looking at is going to be long and drawn out project and get ready to spend a couple of grand having a shop to it unless you do it yourself.

but hey this is coming from a poor college student is is a suspension whore hahaha

Yeah, I want to do a suspension upgrade myself. I don't know wherre to begin. Want to learn more about how that all work. I'm doin all the work myself. So I want to know all the ins and outs. But I want to lower it. I want to get the wheel gaps out. I don't want to bite anyones elses set up, but I know I will be anyway. So if you can let me know any ideas. thanks

Well there is a importer in Albany, about any hour from me. They sell the ej20tt with ecu, uncut harness for 900 picked up. I figure that buying that and swaping a single turbo mani and turbo on to would put me at around $1,500. Then I would just need to swap it in and wire it up. If I am completely wrong someone please stop me! lol

Yeah, I want to do a suspension upgrade myself. I don't know wherre to begin. Want to learn more about how that all work. I'm doin all the work myself. So I want to know all the ins and outs. But I want to lower it. I want to get the wheel gaps out. I don't want to bite anyones elses set up, but I know I will be anyway. So if you can let me know any ideas. thanks

Yeah don't worry about biting other people suspension mod's I actually encourage it!!. At the local subaru meets, I ask if i can drive in people's car's who setup is interesting, then I get a feeling of how I want my car too feel/drive like. right now I have the same setup as my friend 24mm rear sway, 20mm upfront, cusco strut bar front and rear, and i forgot what kind of endlinks and i the setup. But its the only way to test the product before you buy which i think its a big help.

Well there is a importer in Albany, about any hour from me. They sell the ej20tt with ecu, uncut harness for 900 picked up. I figure that buying that and swaping a single turbo mani and turbo on to would put me at around $1,500. Then I would just need to swap it in and wire it up. If I am completely wrong someone please stop me! lol

Yeah there going to be some custom frabrication fo the turbo manifold, make srue you have turbo crossmember as well (not big on turbo engines but from what i heard u will need one) are you having a shop do this for you or are you going to do it yourself??

hey deep I found somthing that might interest you,

I found a supercharger kit for our cars and a way to turn that twin turbo to a single turbo check out these post (you probally have to register before your able to view them)

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=9866

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=14362

tell me what you think??

hot white lgt limited! mine isnt limited i just got my white 97 lgt 2.5 a year ago and had sum overheating probs, had to put a 98 lgt engine in it the first month i bought it, but been perfect ever since. i want to do sum regular mods and turbo but its my first subie and long waited lol! and it my first day here.

yes the famous head gasket problem, dat i found out about after da fact dat i bought it, but it was so bad dat da block was cracked, i didnt know cuz i bought it like dat so i kept driving it, and adding coolant every hr of driving, but the coolant was goin in da block, ima post pics soon, of my old 97 engine with coolant inside. but i still love my subie, dats y i gave it a new heart lol! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!! go eat turkey!

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah don't worry about biting other people suspension mod's I actually encourage it!!. At the local subaru meets, I ask if i can drive in people's car's who setup is interesting, then I get a feeling of how I want my car too feel/drive like. right now I have the same setup as my friend 24mm rear sway, 20mm upfront, cusco strut bar front and rear, and i forgot what kind of endlinks and i the setup. But its the only way to test the product before you buy which i think its a big help.

@WESTcoast: Hey where did you get Cusco 24MM rear sways for your car? I've been looking all over for a 22MM rear for my car and I can't find one anywhere.

I've already found 22MM for my front, but I kinda want to get stiffer ones in the rear. So far all I can find for the rear is the Whiteline BSR19XZ 20MM adjustable and the Rallitek 19MM-21MM. Did you have to get different end links for your 24MM? Should I just go with the Rallitek since it's cheaper?

@WESTcoast: Hey where did you get Cusco 24MM rear sways for your car? I've been looking all over for a 22MM rear for my car and I can't find one anywhere.

I've already found 22MM for my front, but I kinda want to get stiffer ones in the rear. So far all I can find for the rear is the Whiteline BSR19XZ 20MM adjustable and the Rallitek 19MM-21MM. Did you have to get different end links for your 24MM? Should I just go with the Rallitek since it's cheaper?

Hey Riz sorry if i got my facts mixed up it what i get when I read other stuff haha

my whiteline sways along with product numbers

BSR19XXZ- 20mm adjustable (the 96-99 lgts have a 20mm but i wanted an adjustable one lol )

BSF19XZ - 22mm adjustable

and the bushings to go with all of them

thats my setup and if i say different later on just say its probably my brain not thinking right lol

I went with the whiteline bushing just because i would just go with bigger better bushing just because but iono thats just me

Yeah you can its the same thing, a big metal bar streching over your car :lol: Just remember that rear sway bars help with rear grip but then start to take away front grip. When i installed mine i did my rear first, did some aggressive driving and kept it like that for a good month before deciding to put on my front, just because i like the feel of it and for a good minute i was going to stay like that, but when i tried the front it was alot more balanced out in aggressive driving. I was happy i didnt go for a larger front sway as I didnt want my rear sliding(loosing grip)

hopes this helps

hey deep I found somthing that might interest you,

I found a supercharger kit for our cars and a way to turn that twin turbo to a single turbo check out these post (you probally have to register before your able to view them)

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=9866

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=14362

tell me what you think??

Hey, i would have loved to read both. The links require me to sign in before viewing.

Hey, i would have loved to read both. The links require me to sign in before viewing.

Just make an account on sl-i.net its another legacy forum mainly for older legacys 04 and older. I would copy and paste the info but its waayyyy too much.

there is also a company that now makes a bolt on kit for supercharger for our cars, i just gotta find it again

Archived