LegacyGT.com

Engine Knock?

Hello all. Let me preface by saying I'm not very mechanically inclined in terms of education or experience. Aside from my 98 durango, this is the first car I have really tried to undertake working on myself and avoiding paying mechanic's labor fees when I can.

About the car: I have an 06 LGT 5MT, everything stock aside from Cobb AP OTS stage 1 map and a nameless axleback. 111k on the odo, i'm the second owner.

The issue: I've recently noticed a knocking sound coming from both passenger and driver sides of the engine. On the passenger side, the knock sounds like it may be coming from the turbo, but I haven't been able to pull the downpipe to check for play. Alternatively, the driver's side has the same sound so that leads me to believe it may not be the turbo. I found this video on youtube that is pretty much identical to what my engine sounds like.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have been wanting to get the car down to Mike for diagnostics/repairs for a while now. In fact, I just upgraded my AAA so that the tow is within the allowed mileage. I'll give him a call this afternoon. Thanks for the advice, Max Capacity.

• Moderators

That really just sounds like noisy injectors. Some are noisier than others, but nothing wrong with that.

Regarding "noisier-than-average valves", I don't think that's really a possibility if the car is running well otherwise. As these cars age, the valve clearance actually gets tighter and the valves will move towards a scenario where they will be quieter than when they first started. They will remain quiet until the clearance gets so tight that you get misfires or burn a valve or [insert something more catastrophic]. You're more likely to get valve noise on a system that is newly set with lash that is too loose, not a normally wearing motor.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
If you really want, I have a couple injectors lying around that I can probably cycle with a 9V battery and make a video of that if you want me to post it here for comparison. Will sound different without all the background engine noise, but might help to confirm.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Sounds like noisier-than-average valves to me. What's the type, age, and level of your oil? Sending a sample off for analysis might be a good idea.

I'm using Rotella T6. I requested a blackstone labs kit, should arrive in the next couple days.

I personally stopped using Rotella T6, because I would get awful piston slap on cold starts when it would be under 50F outside. It's just too thick to provide proper flow or lubrication at those temps.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Sounds like noisier-than-average valves to me. What's the type, age, and level of your oil? Sending a sample off for analysis might be a good idea.

If you really want, I have a couple injectors lying around that I can probably cycle with a 9V battery and make a video of that if you want me to post it here for comparison. Will sound different without all the background engine noise, but might help to confirm.

That'd be great. I'll take all the info/help I can get.

That really just sounds like noisy injectors. Some are noisier than others, but nothing wrong with that.

Regarding "noisier-than-average valves", I don't think that's really a possibility if the car is running well otherwise. As these cars age, the valve clearance actually gets tighter and the valves will move towards a scenario where they will be quieter than when they first started. They will remain quiet until the clearance gets so tight that you get misfires or burn a valve or [insert something more catastrophic]. You're more likely to get valve noise on a system that is newly set with lash that is too loose, not a normally wearing motor.

My DW1300cc injectors sound just like the clip he posted, but I would still highly recommend taking it to Mike at Infamous. I know from personal experience he's an honest and trustworthy person. He's not looking to rip anyone off.

trying to upload a video of my engine sound, the photobucket one from a few years back won't work.

Tried flicker, but can't load it here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_150853851609914&key=c1ac8fd132f1c1d959d5f77155b0d5a6&libId=j90gvrmv010006ha000DLef4793y7&loc=http%3A%2F%2Flegacygt.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%2Fengine-knocki-265887.html&v=1&type=U&out=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FD7kGcVIBc10%5B%2Furl&ref=http%3A%2F%2Flegacygt.com%2Fforums%2Fforumdisplay.php%2Ffourth-generation-legacy-2005-2009-10.html&title=Engine%20Knock%3F%20-%20Subaru%20Legacy%20Forums&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FD7kGcVIBc10%5B%2Furl

[/url

That was easier then I thought.

That's about 24,000 miles on the rebuild.

What did you switch to?

:whore:

Sorry guys missed this. I switched back to Valvoline Synpower 5w30 and used it problem free for the next 3-4 years.

Recently I tried out Castrol Edge 5w30, and my car was burning a lot more oil then with Valvoline, thus I just switched back to Synpower, 5w30 though high mileage this time.

I have some valvoline oil (before switch to Castrol) to send to Blackstone, just haven't had spare $30 to waste yet. :spin:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived