LegacyGT.com

Cooling system issues

Hi all,

Pretty new to the forum and looking to tap into the great knowledge on here. Recently bought an 05LGT wagon MT, trying to iron out some of the issues that came with the car.

I have noticed that the car seems to get very hot. I always hear lots of ticking when the car is switched off even when I only run down to the shop not even going into boost. I have only owned N/A legacys in the past and this has never happened, nor on any of my other vehicles.

I did notice the coolant was a little low, so I added some (overflow tank), and this has gradually gone down over the last week or so.

So I did a search, and tried some things out. Both the turbo tank and the radiator are full to the brim with coolant, I put the caps back on and ran the car until it was at normal temperature with the heater on full. The fans did not kick in at all but the car would not get any hotter either (outside temp is around 60f). The top hose is extremely hot, and the bottom is luke warm at most.

So I am thinking it could be the thermostat, anyone else have any opinions? The car runs fine. The previous owner has lost the turbo heatshield, which i plan on replacing soon, not sure if that is causing the ticking noise, but I doubt it as it normally comes from the front of the engine.

My other worry is where the coolant in the overflow tank is dissapearing to.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Matt

A little update. It turns out the thermostat hadn't opened yet, gave it some more revs for a bit longer and the bottom hose became hot and the fans came on. I plan on doing a coolant flush and tstat change soon - maybe its sticking a little.

Whats funny is, after the tstat had opened and I turned the engine off, not so much ticking. Maybe some sort of temp difference throughout the engine before the tstat opens causes the ticking noises.

This might help...

1 Gallon of the green Genuine Subaru Long Life Coolant (SLLC), 1 Gallon of Distilled Water (don't use tap water or deionized water - the previous is typically full of chemicals, and the latter is caustic to aluminum), and 1 bottle (125ml) of Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner (P/N SOA635071) . This all has a service life of 30K miles.

If the system is completely evacuated (and Subaru only approves the Wynn Power Flush III System to do this), then you can run 2 Gallons of the pre-mixed (50/50) blue Genuine Subaru Super Coolant (SSC) and 1 pint of the Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner mentioned above. This has a service life of 100K miles.

Alternatively, you can mix the two coolants, but it'll only give you a service life of 30K miles.

Archived