LegacyGT.com

Check engine light on and cruise control flashing??

loopless

Hi ,

I have a 2005 GT 5EAT Wagon. The check engine light came on (steady) and the cruise control indicator ('cruise') on the dash started flashing... the cruise control is non-functional now. I am assuming this is all cruise control related and not an issue that needs immediate attention...

Thanks

No, the cruise control light always flashes when the check engine light is on, and cruise control is disabled. This is Subaru's way of making you address the check engine condition.

Search in the forums for how to read the trouble codes on your dash cluster. For an 05, it involves finding and connecting some wires just above the dash fuse panel.

That is correct. The CEL will be disabled for protection in case the CEL is on.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

There is a post around here some where with 90% of the CELs and their meaning. I printed it out and keep in the garage (haven't had to use it) but I'm not sure of the exact post it came from, maybe someone else knows. Once you get the CEL code number just search it in the forums ... you should be directed in the right direction. GL

I have approximately 15k+ on my TDC dyno tune, no problems yet.

Tag, I'm it again. :redface: My CEL and cruise lights came on my lunch during a 3rd gear wot pull getting on the highway. I don't have my lap top with me at work the one time I get a CEL light. I get to guess what the CEL is till i get home off of work and check in a couple hours. I checked, map sensor hose, FPR reference hose, T under where TMIC used to be. BOV hose, IC piping isn't leaking or I would have been stranded on the side of the road... Any guesses?

The 2005 cars have an inbuilt code reader, there are two white plugs in the fuse box by the drivers left knee. Plug those together, then push the odometer reset button while the needles are sweeping before startup, and the codes will appear in the display ;)

Thanks for the FYI, I have been inside that fuse box more times than imaginable (lol when I was a smoker I would stick my pack in there to hide my habit from certain people) and have never noticed those connectors. Won't miss them next time.;)

I've put in HID's (from xenonexpert) last year about 4 months ago - today I got a CEL with flashing cruise.

Will the HID's prevent my warranty from being honored?

Thanks!

Only if they caused the CEL:lol:

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Yeah, I'm worried about them blaming whatever it was on the HID install.. or the Supertone install.

I looked in the fuse box by the knee for 2 white plugs.. didn't find any loose plugs in there. Might have to poke around a bit more tomorrow.

Well, after ripping out the dash and getting the error code, turns out it was the gas cap.

I usually tighten the thing half to full turn after it clicks, wonder how it worked itself loose.. maybe someone was in there siphoning my gas.. that's why it never occured to me it was the gas cap.

Phew!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, after ripping out the dash and getting the error code, turns out it was the gas cap.

I usually tighten the thing half to full turn after it clicks, wonder how it worked itself loose.. maybe someone was in there siphoning my gas.. that's why it never occured to me it was the gas cap.

Phew!

Was their pry marks on the gas cap door? Otherwise, they would have to get inside the car to open it.

• 5 weeks later...

I was driving to work and my CEL came on and the cruise light began to flash...as well as my S mode was flashing...Im no longer able to switch modes... I have the 08 LGT...I checked the gas cap and as I suspected it was on correctly...its been turned off and sat in the driveway for a day and tried it again.. still flashing...I took it in..just gotta wait to see what the dealership says...just strange...

but I did have the water pump changed at 4k and and they had to change some relay switch in the dash at like 9k...so who knows at 14k somethin else could go wrong...

Had this happen to me, except at first the fuel gauge failed along with the check engine light. Restarted the car and the fuel gauge started working, but the check engine light and cruise light remained on. Took it in to the dealer, and the diagnosis was a spike from the fuel sending unit, which is getting replaced.

So I filled up the car (2005 LGT with about 66,000 miles) on Sunday afternoon. Filled with 91 (highest we can get easily around Denver)

Monday morning it's cold and my entire car is iced over. Around 5AM on my way back from the gym the CEL comes on. I checked here and proceeded to tighten my gas cap ect. CEL turns off after 3-4 trips and maybe 30 miles. All is well as I go to bed Monday night.

Tuesday morning. Temperature is not super cold, no ice. On the way to the gym 3-5 minutes into my drive CEL goes on again. Drive it like normal throughout the day (there's been NO noticible changes in how it drives, no noises, stuttering etc.) Tuesday afternoon after about 3 stops/starts. CEL turns off again, I wash the car and I sleep moderately well.

This morning. Same exact thing. CEL turns on at about 3-5 minutes into drive to the gym. Drove to work this morning, it still drives like a champ, power is still there, no noises....

I'm going to get it into Subaru on Friday if this keeps up. Anyone else seen this pattern or have any idea why this may be happening? I've checked the gas cap twice, and it's definitely on there. The spontaneity of it bothers me more than anything, but the car is driving perfectly. Any observations or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...
I've the same problem with an 06 Forester. The dealer has now replaced both secondary air valves - one under warrantee. It's lights are on again, and now the dealer says that it's the secondary air pump(?) - code P0410. That's not under warrantee and is a $700+ repair! Anybody know the part number and where to buy a used one??

Who knows. It could be half a dozen of them. Get it checked out and see.

Archived