LegacyGT.com

My Run-In with the JDM McIntosh radio

Drewski

I don't think the Australian market is big enough to get our own unique model McIntosh. Maybe you'rs is just an older model. Does it still have a cassette player in it?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think the Australian market is big enough to get our own unique model McIntosh. Maybe you'rs is just an older model. Does it still have a cassette player in it?

I'm gonna try it on mine later today.

Not having much hopes though since the JDM head units radio are not in American or Australian mode but rather a Japanese mode where it only goes up to 99Mhz in FM so I think our units are different.

Thanks. Those converters are very popular in Jamaica, but the radio stations are not as clean and when you try to use an mp3 player with an FM modulator you get a lot of distortion, and its very hard to find an unused frequency.

That's why I was hoping the radio could switch the frequency range itself.

• 6 years later...
it is in the head I would assume, when I plugged it in the radio portions worked. It was the HVAC that was goofy.

I can't wait to get that bugger back here so I can play with it some more. With the schematics that are posted I am thinking that we should be able to "do this".

I know this thread is old BUT in the assumption that this ever comes back up again I'd just like to make a suggestion. Can't you just pry off the Jdm hvac unit and pop on the USDM one and swap the buttons over before you snap it back into the Jdm trim instead of F-ing around with pin outs and what have you?

Edited by SubaruSVXCrazy

• 4 weeks later...

no you can not .

the usdm radio is one unit

is now very easy to install a jdm unit on you car since a lot of info on the net is available.

i have ausdm mcintosch unit plug in my car , thanks to SVxdc and all other menbers for all the post !

no you can not .

the usdm radio is one unit

is now very easy to install a jdm unit on you car since a lot of info on the net is available.

i have ausdm mcintosch unit plug in my car , thanks to SVxdc and all other menbers for all the post !

And what do you think of the Mcintosh system? I've seen a couple and had an opportunity to buy everything from just the headunit to the entire system of speakers and subwoofers. What do you have and what do you think of it vs stock?

And what do you think of the Mcintosh system? I've seen a couple and had an opportunity to buy everything from just the headunit to the entire system of speakers and subwoofers. What do you have and what do you think of it vs stock?

If you buy the speakers you will also need the front doorcards since there are mids that we don't have and you'll want the grille properly placed.

Shogun506

i have 2009 mcintosh and amps .

im happy with it ! it s all depend what you expect and what you pay for .

in my head its sound better than oe unit , but not big difference , i have oem lgt speakers so i need speakers upgrade

why i went this way ?

i like the oem look better than aftermaket unit , it fill up the dash better

the price , i only wanted to ad Auxiliary jack , same price if you buy a 2009 usdm oem unit and way cheaper than buy jdm hvac and aftermaket radio

for sure you will have better sound with aftermarket radio and way more option

but i can still separate the hvac from my mcintosh and add an aftermaket unit !

if you can score an unit , amps and all speakers that will be great !

the system is one more tweeter on mirrors cover and a 4 inch in the panel door . like say wrx usa need panel door grille or work something aftermarket .

Merci Madrig,

J'ai un jazzy-mod alors je croix que je n'ai pas besoin d'un mcintosh pour la aux-in, et j'ai des polk 651/6501 mais il n'est pas encore dans la voiture.

I'm just always trying to spend more money :)

I have a headunit just like this one (2009 mcintosh). Sadly it didn't come with the aux in jack but came with the aux button on the headunit. How can I install one? Was looking at the gram units for aux and bluetooth but not sure if it will work with my headunit. I want something to plug in and play.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had McIntosh in my LHD Legacy.

It does not fit plug and play.

It needs some small modification (with dremel tool) of inner panel (to accept alarm switch) and some modification bottom of hvac unit to match with ash tray.

Side trim parts have a tiny gap anyway, but not very noticeable, check second picture left top corner:

5b3b8d1s-960.jpg

b73b8d1s-960.jpg

These are old pics, i sold the car 2 years ago, but this JDM McIntosh stands in my garage still along with JDM cluster.

I had McIntosh in my LHD Legacy.

It does not fit plug and play.

It needs some small modification (with dremel tool) of inner panel (to accept alarm switch) and some modification bottom of hvac unit to match with ash tray.

Side trim parts have a tiny gap anyway, but not very noticeable, check second picture left top corner:

These are old pics, i sold the car 2 years ago, but this JDM McIntosh stands in my garage still along with JDM cluster.

Thanks for the info. I've sent you a pm ;).