LegacyGT.com

LGT Sedan is my first AWD+turbo car--proper "swedish flick" technique?

Hi All!

Okay, so I drove the last 7 winters in an Integra GS-R with 4 Pilot Alpins, and I had my winter driving technique down pat. 12" of snow, all I'd worry about is scratching the lip spoiler on hidden gravel.

Now, I've got some learning to do in my lovely new 2005 2.5 GT-Limited.

For now, I'm stuck on stock RE-92's (I know it's ridiculous, but I <3 my wife...and my retirement fund.)

I'm leery of handbrake turning this big car because the handbrake doesn't disengage the diff. I'm not doing too badly, but either my swedish flick technique is wrong or I'm just having trouble with overall lack of shit-tire grip and "OMG Boost" nonlinear power delivery.

Anybody have any tips that will get me through the occasional snow and ice in Columbus, OH and have some fun without unnecessary wheel scuffs or sphincter pucker? I mean, pants are expensive and cleaning perforated leather is a pain :)

Thx

Matt

Good tip on the slow wheelspin--I'm definitely trying to do that, but I think I just keep my foot in it about 500 rpm (and ~5psi) too long and letting the arse come around.

Definitely don't feel as confident on 45-series tires. One curb, and I'm huffed. I'd LOVE to find a 16" wheel that would fit over these brakes!

You just need to practice, i have driven mainly RWD cars wit ha couple fwds and 1 AWD talon, but the AWD system of this car still took getting used to. On my lunch brake i would just go practice, i know its weird to have the front and rear tires pulling the car when your sideways, but you will get the hang of it.

I find even with pilot alpins I don't need to utilize the scandinavian flick to get sideways. It's just a matter of steering with your right foot. If a 2.5i can do it easily so can your car. You will have much less control with the stock tires than you will with proper winters though.

right but heres another thing to get used to, the turbo which the 2.5i doesnt have, its weird controlling and AWD car sideways when you have a turbo. You will have your foot on the gas pedal the same amount but if you get sideways before the turbo spools most people new to turbo cars dont expect a sudden surge of power which causes them to loose control or let off the gas.

I'm fairly used to an open rear end, automatic, turbo volvo 740 (rwd). It's all about balance and being smooth. Oh and the volvo has a few goodies so the boost hits fairly hard for a mildly modified turbo. My non turbo 16v ez-lockered 740 manual gets side ways much more predictably. Also, 2.5i's of my generation have variable valve timing which can hit much the same way although higher in the rpm range.

Practice practice.

I found that using the handbrake feels very bad so I kind of had the same problem as you as I was used to using it to kick the ass end around. As another poster noted further down, you need to find an empty parking lot when there is snow on the ground and just get crazy. Your gas tank will get very empty very fast until you get the hang of it.

Anyways, here is my style:

I use the gas pedal to go around. I turn the wheel somewhat towards the direction I want to turn in, press the gas enough to almost get wheels to spin (which implies letting off the gas before the turbo hits) and then press the gas again until you get turbo power. Your tires will spin and you will find yourself turning/sliding in the direction that you want to go. Do not let your rpms go above 4k. Above 4k, your wheels are just randomly spinning and not helping at all.

If you are in an emergency situation, very quickly tap the e-brake instead of using the first gas pedal push I described. Regardless, you will need to spin your tires to get it kicked around quickly.

I just taught my 15 year old daughter how to do this about a month ago. The turbo is the hardest part to learn, so I had her come to a complete stop in the parking lot. I then turned the wheel all the way to the left and then pulled it back a quarter turn. I then had her push the gas. Needless to say, she pushed it HARD and the car went spinning wildly. After a few of those starts, she learned where to hold the gas at to keep the rpms from going crazy and spinning out of control.

HTH,

strike

Hi All!

Okay, so I drove the last 7 winters in an Integra GS-R with 4 Pilot Alpins, and I had my winter driving technique down pat. 12" of snow, all I'd worry about is scratching the lip spoiler on hidden gravel.

Now, I've got some learning to do in my lovely new 2005 2.5 GT-Limited.

For now, I'm stuck on stock RE-92's (I know it's ridiculous, but I <3 my wife...and my retirement fund.)

I'm leery of handbrake turning this big car because the handbrake doesn't disengage the diff. I'm not doing too badly, but either my swedish flick technique is wrong or I'm just having trouble with overall lack of shit-tire grip and "OMG Boost" nonlinear power delivery.

Anybody have any tips that will get me through the occasional snow and ice in Columbus, OH and have some fun without unnecessary wheel scuffs or sphincter pucker? I mean, pants are expensive and cleaning perforated leather is a pain :)

Thx

Matt

Archived