LegacyGT.com

Anyone have a TomTom One?

gfxdave99

I did a search and no hits for "tomtom one" came up. The reviews have mostly been positive but I saw a few here and there with people complaining about lockups/crashes etc.

And before you go tell me to get a Nuvi instead, which is nice.. and as lame as it may sound, I really like the fact that TomTom offers an array of additional voices for guidance. Which is what made me want to get one and now that the One has dropped to 299 retail and i found it for 270 shipped its getting pretty tempting so i just wanted to see if there were any last yay or nays before i dropped some kizash.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

That was tops on my list until I realized that it does not have Bluetooth handsfree capability. This is sneaky because it does have a bluetooth transceiver, but it is not for handsfree calling purposes. Some websites do not make this clear, and some flat out lie and say that it does have this feature. Just a heads-up.
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I had a TomTom GO before. The mapping system sucked big ones. Bought me to the correct streets, in the wrong cities. I triple checked and my addresses were setup correctly. I know you said not to say Nuvi, but I bought a Garmin and never looked back. Great mapping software and Point-of-Interest database is HUGE. It even gives me the phone numbers of businesses, so I can call to make sure they are open. And it has like 30 different voices too in different accents. Plus the voice guidance will say "Turn left on Main Street" instead of "Turn left in .4 miles" which was the dealbreaker. OK, rant over!
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

where is the best place to put it? Not interested in a permanent installation, already have an XM on a mount.

Ive used the windshield cup with my garmin with good success. Although since i have a cubby stereo install i was thinking of making a bracket that puts it in front of the oem stereo

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

tomtom one version 2 is popular in Europe, but 510 or 710 model are better with bluetooth free hand phone like Nuvi. I think that tomtom and nuvi are the best because they don't use WindowsCE , tomtom use linux core and Nuvi use special OS made by Garmin.

I used a Navman running WindowsCe , it's always crashing like others Microsoft Stuff!

If you're going to be taking it in and out of the car frequently, make sure you're happy with the size. I picked up a Magellan 6000T, and though it was flatter than the TomTom, I still found it cumbersome to stash and protect the screen. The Nuvi would be significantly easier to fit in a glovebox, etc.
When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

If you're going to be taking it in and out of the car frequently, make sure you're happy with the size. I picked up a Magellan 6000T, and though it was flatter than the TomTom, I still found it cumbersome to stash and protect the screen. The Nuvi would be significantly easier to fit in a glovebox, etc.

Yeah since i have a cubby stereo im going to make a custom mount that goes in front of the oem stereo location

Archived