LegacyGT.com

2.5i and 2.5GT compaired IMO

I'm sharing my opinion about a recent test drive of the GT that convinced me to just upgrade my suspension, wheels/tires, and call it a day. It might even make a few N/A guys appreciate our cars a bit more... and because the N/A forum could use more discussion.

Occasionally I scroll Craigslist for fun and look at what deals are posting out there and keeping my eye out for a clean Legacy GT even though I'm not very motivated to purchase. I recently came across a 2010 LGT Limited, contacted the owner, and set up a test drive. It all worked out very easy. When I rolled up to the parking lot where we met I'll admit I was getting very excited...

Brief background

I had a 99 LGT then a 2002 WRX wagon, which was on it's last leg. Most of the N/A legacy owners probably have a similar story but I was in the market for a new car, (my roommate worked at the Subaru dealer so it was on my mind more than normal occasionally hearing "Dude you have to check out this car we just brought in!") I wanted the GT, and I didn't want to spend the extra 10K since it only came in limited trim. Anyway, I got a good end of the year deal on a 2012 2.5i premium Legacy with 6-speed. I figured it was still fun to drive and can enjoy the low cost and reliability for years to come.

I'm still looking at LGTs... even though I don't "need" one. I'm an enthusiast so I figured I'd appreciated it.

Here's what I found...

The LGT I test drove the other day was the same color and body style as mine so I thought it would be interesting to drive a car that I'm familiar with in every way except with 100 more horses to launch off the line with. Although to GT was sweet it wasn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Although I have driven a turbo'd car before and there was more room to get acclimated to that platform again, I was surprised. It seems as if the shorter gears in the 2.5i 6-speed accomplished more in a relatively short distance like to pass or accelerate out of a turn only to have to brake shortly after. If your on the highway at 65 mph and need to pass, just downshift from 6th to 3rd and you still have enough safe RPM range to get it done as you shift to 4th and back in to 6th to cruse. The 2.5i is not faster than the GT at all but there are some elusive points to be made in the 2.5i's defense.

It's almost like it's tricking you to think you are going faster since it's lighter on its feet and throws you in the back of the seat right away. The GT was exhilarating when accelerating through an onramp on to the highway where the tall gears get to through you to highway speeds but only for a second then the opportunity for a ticket comes just as fast... Like I said, I could have tuned my shifting to the turbo to get more out of it but the 6-speeds in both were so damn similar to begin with my reactions couldn't be that far off.

When compared to the GT, the 2.5is don't need 91 octane, are almost as fun to drive, I got 34.5 average MPG on the last road trip (200mi), and although I still admire the GT and want Subaru to bring it back into production, it seems like you get a little more than what you paid for.

1547530086_testdrive.thumb.jpg.e7de1708191f13839d734df2aa550e02.jpg

Yup in the same boat about LGT, I went into the buying process with a budget of about 25K. I bought my car in July 2012, so the only LGT left all had $2K navigation. The local one in the color I want also had bunch of accessories that I didn't want (and the dealer wouldn't remove) so it was priced another ~$1K on top of it. I played with the idea of stretching my budget for non navigation '12 but I couldn't find any.

I am little surprised that you were seemingly were a little disappointed. I generally don't down shift to 3rd on the highway. I find the acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear to be adequate in my car, but where it really lacks is on the highway. I mean its fine for squeezing the pedal to pass someone or get up to speed. (two years ago I had an economy car that struggled with that.)

The 5th and 6th gears are the only taller gears in the 5th Gen compare to your '12. Same differential ratios and 1-4.

Interesting and all, but regardless of sharing so much it is still apples to oranges to me. I have bought 2 Subarus off the lot new (and one used), I chose NA because that's what I wanted. Yes, I get it that for some people the turbo is a "halo car" that brings them in but they purchase something else, but not always.

Turbo envy...it's ok.

not at all. i have my turbo toy, and i bought my NA leggy because i wanted a DD for school. my personal opinion is the hood scoops and the spoilers are unattractive. although if i had to pick one, it would be the scoop. i really cant stand the spoiler.

on the note of down'ing to 3rd, i only have to do that to really get up and go. normally if im just passing someone on the highway, i just floor it in 5th lol.

I will gladly take a functional intercooler scoop.

id rather have a FMI over a TMI anyday.

I had an '05 LGT (automatic) that I still regret the day I let go a few years ago, but last year got the 2012 2.5i Premium. I do miss the power of the LGT, it was a blast to drive, but could not get myself to put up an extra 10K either plus the need to buy new rims for the winter, deal with a stick again and buy premium gas while getting terrible MPG.

I'm happy with the NA 2.5i and would not even consider the LGT as my daily driver, but it is a fun car and agree they should continue making it.

For the record I like driving a stick and do miss it at times, but 50 miles back and forth to work gets old with a stick sometimes...especially in traffic.

200 miles is a road trip?

It's a matter of opinion. Stated the mileage so you would know what the average MPG was based off of. It was more of a "day trip" than a road trip to the Bay Area.

I will gladly take a functional intercooler scoop.

Part of the selling point when I got my 99 LGT was that it had a hood scoop (not functional) and a spoiler for like $5G at the time. Although, the flush hood looks cleaner.

I bought a 2.5i and pretty much everyday after that I wish I didnt take the swindler aka Bret from RK Subaru "great" deal. I should have simply waited a few months and picked up a used LGT. Oh well lesson learned and over the years i have come to appreciate my car for what it is: a good looking classy AWD sedan. I love my car, power is fine for my lifestyle but it does lack for those times when you need it: passing, speeding up, taking off, etc. I have a few options that make my 2.5i nicer than most base models but I always will want a 08-09 LGT.

Now I am in a position to sell/trade my 2.5i and buy the LGT ive always wanted.

Do GT people really think it's because we don't know how fast and fun your cars are? I promise I have owned and driven faster and cruder. It's a decision as to what I wanted in a daily driver for long term ownership.

My first car was a 1969 Camaro. Hellofa ride. It is currently getting a resto. Fast as hell in a straight line, with finesse it was pretty damn fast through the twisties too. Learned to drift before drifting was cool :cool:

Yeah I was one of those kids ... even had a mullet in highschool :lol:

Archived