LegacyGT.com

the heat in my car isn't working, anyone else have this problem?

I just picked up my 08 Legacy SE about 2 weeks ago, and I noticed something weird about the heating system. I thought maybe the heat just takes a while to come on so I never thought much of it. Now I am realizing that it simply isn't working. Anyone else ever had this problem? I'm going to take it to the dealership tomorrow probably.

The air flow is directed in a different path to get heated, which means that the ventilation control may have failed for the heat adjustment.

But check water level and water temperature to verify if the water is warm enough. If you can't hold on to a hose with water then it's warm enough and it's not likely to be the thermostat.

But I would say that this is a warranty issue.

453747.png

The air flow is directed in a different path to get heated, which means that the ventilation control may have failed for the heat adjustment.

But check water level and water temperature to verify if the water is warm enough. If you can't hold on to a hose with water then it's warm enough and it's not likely to be the thermostat.

I just looked at his car now. It not a thermostat. Well warranty issue for sure though.

We (me and RJ) think it could be something with the valve, because no matter where it is, it's only getting one temperature air, cold.

Edit* Or at least this is what I understood from what we discussed.

Yep, you got it budday!

:spin:

I just picked up my 08 Legacy SE about 2 weeks ago, and I noticed something weird about the heating system. I thought maybe the heat just takes a while to come on so I never thought much of it. Now I am realizing that it simply isn't working. Anyone else ever had this problem? I'm going to take it to the dealership tomorrow probably.

Heat ? Why would you need heat during the summer ?

Do you mean the AC ? I bet you it is the magic disconnected cable !

Heat ? Why would you need heat during the summer ?

Do you mean the AC ? I bet you it is the magic disconnected cable !

No, he means heat. It can actually get quite nippy at night in upstate NY where he is with the car...

No offense, but you just got your car.

TAKE IT BACK to the dealer, let him find and fix it... Period.

What we think is irrelevant.

O.

Obviously. I'm just trying to figure it out out of curiosity. It's going back to the dealer on Monday for them to take a look at it.

The thermostat has nothing to do with this!!!! If the thermostat is bad the engine would be overheating!!! I replaced the original thermostat in one of my cars, it was damn near 35 years old!!!! Let alone the heater core was clogged at 36 years of use. I've seen diesel thermostats run longer than that and they run at higher temps!!!

If you really want to know, which I can tell you its not the case. Pull the thermostat out. Put a boiling pot of water on your stove. Use a thermometer to bring the water to the exact heat that your thermostat is rated for. But considering its the original thermostat from the factory, you won't know for sure. Typical most engines run 175F thermostats. If it opens up, it is good. Just don't put the brass end of the thermostat face down in the water (could damage it. Basically melt it down.) To much direct heat to it.:eek:

As for the cold air flow, the fan definitely is working....I think. I can't remember, but some heater cores might switch a valve when you flip from hot to cold to prevent hot air from the heater core from flowing and then directs air from the outside of the car in the vents. In which case, a valve, like previously mentioned.:cool:

Heater core (although its not leaking, I would have noticed last night), or heater fan, faulty thermostat, it's possible an air directional valve isnt not opening to allow heated air to flow?

A faulty thermostat would not be the problem.

If it were the engine would be overheating because cooled water from

the radiator/hot water from the engine block entering the radiator would

not be flowing past the thermostat since it acts as sensitive valve to heated water.

Most likely it is either the heater core fan or a cloged line.

Considering the year of your car its most likely that its a modern

built car which are more prone to unusual premature problems compared

to the build quality of vintage cars. Most likely its still the heater

core fan or clogged lines (especially if you don't use enough antifreeze

and your radiator starts to rust.)

The thermostat has nothing to do with this!!!! If the thermostat is bad the engine would be overheating!!! I replaced the original thermostat in one of my cars, it was damn near 35 years old!!!! Let alone the heater core was clogged at 36 years of use. I've seen diesel thermostats run longer than that and they run at higher temps!!!

That's only the cause if the thermostat is failing in closed position, if it's permanently open then you won't get any heat to talk about. It may of course be that someone forgot to insert a thermostat at all in the car!

But in the end - since this is a warranty issue it's not worth to put too much energy into analyzing it by boiling thermostats or so.

But from what I suspect it's just that the heating system is bypassing the heater and just blows cold air. Can be a connector, a motor or the ventilation control unit.

453747.png

• 3 weeks later...

Archived