LegacyGT.com

Driver's window dead, looks like rain...

The first electrical problem my Soob's ever given me... It appears the motor gave out, the regulator looks ok, and it's still on track. At first it wouldn't go back up, then after some coaxing, I got it to go back up all the way. And of course, in the midst of my clumsy tinkering I accidentally put it back down halfway. Now it's not moving at all, won't even move by hand, but all the other windows work just fine.

Anyway, my question is, is there at least a way I can close it by hand before it rains? I threw a tarp on it in the meantime... Thanks!

Really is no way without taking the door panel off and getting invasive. But if the regulator is locked up you can take it out and pick up the window and run a couple self-tapping screws into the rail to hold it up in the meantime. The regulator motor and window track assembly are two different part numbers and will separate from each other. But be warned you are in for quite a bit of work, there are several parts to this and its more complicated than any other car I have ever worked on.

I did a lot of cussing during a replacement of a door handle and a lot of drinking afterwards.

Have you considered that the switch could be going bad? I'd say that is the more likely issue here given the symptoms. A quick run to the junk yard could have you up and going again in no time, and honestly if you wanna remove the switch unit in the door and crack it open and try to mess with it in the mean time, it's not as complicated as you would think. I had the same issue you are having, and it turned out to be a little plastic piece about the size of a grain of rice that had simply worn down on one end. I flipped it around and it's been working ever since.

+1 could be the switch definitely, but as far as it not being complicated for the first time doing it, not really. I know my way around in there now, during the first time taking it all apart I'm looking at 8 different parts of the thing layed down on my driveway in order of removal and saying to myself why did I do this?

Not trying to freak you out but I'm not going to tell you its a piece of cake either.

Okay, let me rephrase, lol. If you're one of those kids that used to get 3,000 piece LEGO Technic sets for Christmas, and then disappoint the parents by having the thing built in three hours rather than being distracted for three weeks, then it won't be terribly difficult :p

The switch had definitely crossed my mind but since the other three work fine, I kinda ruled that out, but I guess it's still possible. First thing I did was tear into the door and was like "shit, this isn't going to be fun..." Fortunately, one of my good friends has a 96 Legacy, and I could temporarily "borrow" his master switch just to see if it works.

The other three working doesn't mean anything. The driver's window switch on your door is used infinitely more frequently than the other switches on your door, or the other doors. I really wouldn't be surprised if it was just that little piece of plastic that was worn out, as in mine.

... I had the same issue you are having, and it turned out to be a little plastic piece about the size of a grain of rice that had simply worn down on one end. I flipped it around and it's been working ever since.

Wait, so you just flipped that little black piece that says "AUTO" upside down?

Wait, so you just flipped that little black piece that says "AUTO" upside down?

No. If you open the switch assembly up, you will find several parts. One of them is a white plastic piece that, for lack of a better description, is about the size and shape of a grain of rice. It is what is moved when you move the switch, and it is what presses on the contacts to make the connection. Over time, it simply becomes worn down on one corner, so if you flip it around you give it a fresh corner on the side where it presses the contacts and it will work again!

Usually when an electric motor shits out completely, there is a slim chance it just stopped completely. If you heard it trying with no avail then its a motor.

A good check is sit in your car when its quiet, and just listen to hear for the relay to click. If it doesn't that means the switch isn't transmitting power

I know what you mean, I get slightly dumb and blurt out random buffoonery.

Look at my avatar kind of represents the presence of mind I have on my best days.

Probably came out wrong Alex, not meaning you blurt buffoonery

Archived