LegacyGT.com

Stock speaker size?

Not a bad deal but xpods are just OK in my experience. Probably better than the stockers. I had some in my SS for a while. I didn't have any type of spacer. Then I took out the stockers in my 95 L and replaced them with 6.5" Pioneers. Pretty darn good. I didn't use any spacers for them either, just the stock plastic housings. The stock housings on the first gen were metal so I ditched them and just used sheet metal screws to hold them in place.

Most openings will accept speakers that are not the original size. They can fit well, but mostly they fit like garbage. Even with plastic mounting adapters. They are a good amount of 5 1/4" speakers that will fit in the openings. But, 6.5" is always the better fitter.

Rick, did 6.5" not fit in the door? More details, sir. Plus, 6" is only 0.25" short on either side. Did you use the factory plastic housings?

Not all 6.5 speakers can fit though, as they can be too deep and get mixed up with the window.

this is completely alleviated with a .5" speaker spacer if anyones wondering, plenty of room between the door panel and speaker edge in there

Kenny, I did use the plastic housing. I also used fusion speakers, and 6" was the only size that would match up correctly. I got them from a music store, good deal on them. And believe it or not, the origional speakers that came out were 6". Could that have been a 1996 thing, like my 140 MPH speedo?

I had the same concern and ended up replacing my front and back speakers with these: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K4VSCG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Kicker DS65 6.5" Coax Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics[/ame].

Not every 6.5" speaker is going to have the same depth and woofer width. The kickers shown above fit perfectly into the doors, but they didn't fully seat in the rear deck. I didn't want to return them, so I simply screwed them in until they were secure.

I can take pictures if you want to see how the 6.5" speakers fit in my rear deck for point of reference.

Kenny, I did use the plastic housing. I also used fusion speakers, and 6" was the only size that would match up correctly. I got them from a music store, good deal on them. And believe it or not, the origional speakers that came out were 6". Could that have been a 1996 thing, like my 140 MPH speedo?

Definitely not. I had a 96 GT that had 6.5" all around. Is 6" a standardized measurement, or something you're measuring?

My wagon took 6", not 6.5", even though the books said 6.5". Any idea why guys?

probably the same way i got 5.5" to work in mine. they are made for the 6.5" space, but are actually 5.5 drivers. mine are memphis components, i have the tweets mounted under the window controls. i dont like the placement much but they sound great.

Archived