LegacyGT.com

New member looking for an LGT

Hows everybody doing,

Im Chris, new to this forum. I decided to join this forum because Im looking to purchase a pre-owned 05 LGT. I'd like to learn some things about what to look for and things to consider before buying a pre-owned Subaru. I've heard a lot of good things about these cars which is why Im mainly interested in this brand. I was first looking around for a WRX but when i found this LGT the price and mileage looked better than the WRX's. Plus the LGT is also roomier and has leather seats, which is one of the things I look for. But yea thats pretty much a general statement of why I came to this forum. I look forward to learning new things and getting great ideas from some or all of the members of this forum.

Thanks,

Chris

Check out the member for sale forum. There are a number of solid LGTs available there. Plus, you can find the member and look up some threads they posted in to see what, if any, issues may have arisen with that car instead of relying on hearsay from a dealer or sketchbag on craigslist.

Welcome and good luck on your search.

It's cool; I'm with the band

I know a stage 2 WRX 2004 which I sold in March for a stage 2 spec.B 2008. I think they are diff cars the WRX had more instant throw back boost whereas the LGT is more linear and more powerful in general. My WRX had a Cobb OTS map and this one is professionally tuned and my WRX was a 2 liter and my LGt is a 2.5. Overall I like them both they are two different cars but yet the same, lol
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

When looking to buy, just make sure that your 1) Savvy in mechanical/maintenance or 2) have a friend/good mechanic place you can take it to.

Reason I say this is not because they fail or have huge problems, but that you need to care for them well, and they'll last a very long time. Just like any other car really.

Depending on what you plan to do, check to see if the car has been modded. You may care, you may not, but be aware of what has been done to the car so you'll know what to expect. Look for signs of bolts worn/being taken off and put back on. Look for any leaks or strange smells, car drives straight, accident history, etc.

I'd def go for the LGT, but i'm biased. Reason I did was because of the dual air zones, leather, etc. Also, check out insurance costs. The LGT is almost always cheaper to insure.

Lots of info here on the forums, knowledge is power (and horrible too) lol.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

^Agreed. Make sure that you or someone you know has a decent knowledge of subies when you check one out.

As executor pointed out checking alignment, bolt wear (for signs of past modding), strange smells, etc is always a good idea. Turbo issues are another one of the main things that people check for. Ask if they'll let you take off the intercooler to check for excessive blowby, which can be a sign of a dying turbo. It'll take 15 minutes, but give you peace of mind.

Thanks everyone. I'd like to know what you guys think of an 05 LGT w/ 70k miles for about 10-11k. Is that too much? Not worth it? or Worth it? Reason I ask is because Im looking to spend something close to that price range and this is the only car i seen in my price range w/ this mileage. I cant seem to find another Subie for less than 10k w/ less than 70-80k miles.

Would you guys some how happen to have some kinda checklist for inspecting a pre-owned car? I know about trying to notice awkward noises and weird smells but other than that, how can i really inspect the car thoroughly? How can I know for sure or find out how well the car was maintained? I guess i can bring a mechanic with me or somebody with knowledge about subies. Anything else?

Would you guys some how happen to have some kinda checklist for inspecting a pre-owned car? I know about trying to notice awkward noises and weird smells but other than that, how can i really inspect the car thoroughly? How can I know for sure or find out how well the car was maintained? I guess i can bring a mechanic with me or somebody with knowledge about subies. Anything else?

I am no mechanic but when you have a car in the air try to wiggle the tires and rims from side to side you don't want them to move, you also want to make sure you look at the end tanks on the edges of the intercooler. A issue that I have heard of is the metal tabs on the end links loosening. I am sorry it's hard to explain. Take the car to a trusted mechanic and have him look it over. Most of them will do it for free at least here in CT. Obviously you can get a carfax also. Hope this helps

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Easiest is to do a carfax never buy a car w/o one....

and compare from car to car some cars are good maintaned and it will show on the report ... many dealer type visits will show up with some info on what got changed ...if you do a carfax on a certain car and you only have like 3 service records lol vs a car that has like 15 which one is smart buy? the 15 one

so take your time slowly

^it depends what the 15 service records are. If its 15 oil changes, then yeah, but if its a bunch of warranty work (bearings, clutch, drivetrain, etc) I'd be hesitant to buy.

Moral of the story, do your research and don't buy on a whim. There are plenty of LGTs available, so make sure you get the right one for you.

We should probably make a list of things to look for when purchasing a used car.

1. Odd noises, smells, feeling, etc.

2. Intercooler- blowby and bent fins/tabs

3. anyone else's input

I see, Im thinking about having a friend of my father, who is a mechanic to maybe come with me to check out the car. Also, sorry if im being a newbie, but what exactly is a "blowby". I am still learning more about turbocharged engines.

^

Moral of the story, do your research and don't buy on a whim. There are plenty of LGTs available, so make sure you get the right one for you.

There weren't plenty of LGTs available when I was looking (at least in Colorado), few available and a couple were sold before I could look at them.

rick

Blowby is the result of oil in the turbo passing through and ending up in the intercooler and sometimes passing into the cylinders themselves. If you take the intercooler off, there will almost always be a light slick layer where some oil passes through and collects in the intercooler when the air that its with cools off. Excessive amounts of oil in the IC are a sign of a dying turbo.

And when I said there are plenty available, I meant within a few states. You may have to travel a little ways (up to 200 or so miles) to find one, but they're out there.

^it depends what the 15 service records are. If its 15 oil changes, then yeah, but if its a bunch of warranty work (bearings, clutch, drivetrain, etc) I'd be hesitant to buy.

why so? you wouldnt like bunch of new parts?

clutch work done in 70k and you buy the car when its 90k your not gonna like that?

Or 30k 60k 90k service

I have a 2008 Dark Grey Metallic Spec B with 31,000 and a few mods that I am CONSIDERING selling. Making the big debate between keeping it and buying a 2011 STI, or sucking it up and having both. Let me know if you're interested and we can trade some pics.

Archived