LegacyGT.com

The COMPLETE beginner's guide to e-tuning (with a vendor and VAG-COM cable)

Adoniram

Most guys at stage 2 have an up pipe, and a downpipe with a tune. That is the definition of stage 2. Some have more supporting mods than others, but they are optional. You can do what you want with your car though, but getting tuned will be easier with a BPV instead of a BOV.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm interesting.. I have a catless down, resonated catback, fmic(stock leaks at end tank), an intake, and a gfb bov recirculating 50/50, with plans for more in the future. I've been dreading the uppipe install but wth a retunes what like 50 bucks?

And wen I say BOV, on these cars, i was referring to some type of hybrid/recirc/bpv. Just whatever isn't the stock dv..I didn't kno y'all were talking about jus dumping that sht in the clouds haha so at what point is it necessary to upgrade that part?

• 2 months later...
Does anybody ever loan out a tactrix cable? Looking to borrow one for logging.

Post in your local region forum and someone may have a tactrix or a vagcom setup and be willing to help you out.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Does anybody ever loan out a tactrix cable? Looking to borrow one for logging.

Im just outside of Allentown if your willing to drive 2 hours. I have a vagcom. Your best bet is to just buy one off amazon for $15. It comes in handy.

Vagcom won't help if he needs a tactrix. It's going to be at least $120. Vagcom will only work on 05-06 models

See, here's where I get frustrated. I read that the '06.. which is what I have... requires a Tactrix... OR a VagCom... no, it REQUIRES a Tactrix. No, it will work with a VagCom... NO, IT REQUIRES A TACTRIX... NO, IT WILL WORK WITH A VAGCOM... NO, IT REQUIRES A TACTRIX.

:spin: :banghead: :FML:

Sigh. Here it is again.

05-06 VAGCOM OR Tactrix

07+ Tactrix ONLY

HOWEVER, many cables sold/labeled as VAGCOM cables do NOT work properly. It is completely dependent on what the chip is inside the cable. I have TWO cables purchased off EBAY that look nearly identical. They were both sold as VAGCOM cables. The first cable I bought back in 2008 is able to use all versions of RR, ECUFlash and LV without a problem.

The second cable I bought around 2011 as a backup is able to log in RR. I have to test with a new version of LV but I'm fairly certain that works too. ECUFlash, however, will NOT work correctly with any version newer than 1.29A which sort of sucks since definitions will be fubared and you have to do your ROM editing in RR only.

What does this mean? It means if you buy a Tactrix cable you are guaranteed to have a working cable, whereas if you have a VAGCOM cable, it may or may not work with everything even if you have an 05/06 LGT. It depends on the chip inside the cable.

Vag-Com is for VW's. Cable and software are designed for that make. The fact that any worked on a Subie was pure luck. That is why the Vag-Com cables are hit and miss. Made for pennies in China and protocol is not Subaru to begin with.

So i don't get the FT232R USB UART A400fMIA on the bottom right and i tried to manually update the drivers from ecuflash folder, still no good. It says "the folder doesn't contain compatible software driver for device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64- based systems." I never even chose a folder i chose the FTDIBUS.inf file. So im thinking ditch the $10 vag or did i **** up somewhere? Im on 64bit windows 7.

• 2 months later...
Don't do e tunes! There junk. If your into rebuilding an engine every 2k then more power to you!

Interesting choice of posts in an e-tune thread.

I've got more miles on stage 2 & 3 e-tunes than I have with the stock tune. You may have bought a dog with cracked ringlands & boost problems, but that isn't a condemnation of all e-tunes/e-tuners.

Tits mcgee

Yes, some may have had better luck than me, but after throwing in engine #2 it has really disappointed me.

Im 10k in the newest engine with a protune and I feel it is much safer than the aggressive e mail tune that was in before. The car is much smoother through the power band as well!

Ok I will leave this thread alone now!

Be careful out there

Edited by Cobshane

Im 10k in the newest engine with a protune and I feel it is much safer than the aggressive e mail tune that was in before. The car is much smoother through the power band as well!

Your car with a new engine is smoother than when you bought it with cracked ringlands & boost leaks? :iam:

Tits mcgee

Oops, maybe I should explain in detail.

Engine with cracked ringlands replaced. All boost leaks repaired. Vehicle was etuned and in 2k popped another ringland.

#2 short block installed, pro tuned and all has well for 10k now:) hooray

Edited by Cobshane

Maybe you're ignoring the fact that ALL tunes, whether done over the web or with the tuner in the passenger seat, have an inherent risk. This is why you always sign a waiver. There are lots of situations in which people go and get a pro-tune in person and their engines blow up. So you got ONE e-tune and you had a cracked ringland, which isn't even a rare problem on Subarus, and now you're here saying that all e-tunes are bad. You should probably get some perspective before disparaging e-tunes in general. Hell, I've been semi self tuned for 5k miles with no problems but I would absolutely not recommend that everyone out there self tune and not go with a professional tuner because I heard of one story in which a professional blew up someone's engine.