LegacyGT.com

Can i tow a 97 outback automatic on a tow dolly?

I know some automatic cars if you tow them, like behind a camper, it can damage the clutches inside the tranny from the wheels spinning. Some cars such as many saturns have a feature that when towing, it wont damage the transmission. How about a 97 outback? or do i need to remove the driveshaft before towing on a tow dolly. The car is located about an hour away from me, so its pretty long distance towing.

thanks

You can't use a tow dolly. The car is AWD so you will need to have all 4 wheels off the ground when you are towing it.

ive been reading that if i remove a fuse it will disengage the rear wheels and i can tow it. will this work? if not how hard is it to disconnect the drive shaft from the rear differential? Ive not looked underneath a 97 outback awd so i dont know how hard it is to disconnect the drive shaft, but i was told that some of the Subaru drive shafts are completely hidden behind plating and stuff and is near impossible to disconnect. I need to tow it about 45 miles.

Nope - sorry. The fuse only disengages the rear wheels when the car is running "in-gear". So put it up on a flatbed or lift the front end and put the rear wheels on dollies (and don't forget to put the car in Park while it's being towed).

More info:

Towing a Subaru behind a motorhome or a tow truck

The following is from Subaru Helpline Update, Feb 99

There has been a change to the policy regarding towing of Subaru vehicles behind motorhomes. The following applies to 1990 through present model year Legacy (Including Outback), 1993 through present year Impreza (incl. Outback Sport), and 1992 through present year SVX.

Manual Transmission:

All Wheel Drive vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground on a trailer but towing an AWD vehicle must never be attempted with only two wheels on the ground or two wheels on a dolly.

Front Wheel Drive vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground in neutral or with the two front wheels off the ground.

Automatic Transmission AWD automatic 4 and 5 speed vehicles should not be towed with any wheels on the ground. The vehicle can only be towed on a trailer with all 4 wheels off the ground and the transmission in park.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• I Donated

Dude seriously. How many threads are you going to make about the same car?

That special feature on Saturns you're talking about is called front wheel drive. Tow it with the front wheels off the ground and it won't damage the transmission! Imagine that.

Now with Subarus....You have to tow it with all 4 wheels off the ground. The reason being if you have one axle spinning and the other still, it will screw up your center diff. You can't even really tow it with a rope either. Subaru says to tow it with all 4 wheels off the ground.

The front wheel drive fuse you're talking about is a diagnostics aiid for diagnosing center diff / rear diff problems. And its not a fuse that you remove. Its a fuse that you put in. But in the case of towing, its going to be useless to you. You might be able to get away with using a tow dolly if you took off the rear driveshaft....

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Dude seriously. How many threads are you going to make about the same car?

That special feature on Saturns you're talking about is called front wheel drive. Tow it with the front wheels off the ground and it won't damage the transmission! Imagine that.

Now with Subarus....You have to tow it with all 4 wheels off the ground. The reason being if you have one axle spinning and the other still, it will screw up your center diff. You can't even really tow it with a rope either. Subaru says to tow it with all 4 wheels off the ground.

The front wheel drive fuse you're talking about is a diagnostics aiid for diagnosing center diff / rear diff problems. And its not a fuse that you remove. Its a fuse that you put in. But in the case of towing, its going to be useless to you. You might be able to get away with using a tow dolly if you took off the rear driveshaft....

haha actually the feature im talking about on saturns allows it to be towed behind a RV with all 4 wheels on the ground. Imagine that!

yea i was tryingto figure out how hard it is to disconnect the driveshaft

you can not towo an auto trans subaru 90 - 99 with 4 wheels on the ground or with 2 whells on the ground. you can disconnect the drive shaft to the rear wheels and then tow it with 2 wheels on the ground.

you can tow a 5 speed manual with all 4 wheels on the ground.

• I Donated

take out the 4 bolts and pull down on the rear of the driveshaft, then slide it backwards out of the transmission. It fits into the back of the trans kinda like a CV axle fits into the side of a trans.

You will probably have some fluid come out. A thick plastic bag with some heavy duty rubber bands works sometimes to keep the fluid from pouring out.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

easy. 4 13mm bolts at the rear diff and it slides out of the transmission on the front side.

yes and no. 4 bolts will disconnect the rear shaft from the rear diff, but they are not 13mm. i have never seen a 13mm on a subaru. probably 12 mm bolts at the dear diff.

• I Donated
nope no pictures here. You will have to drop the exhaust, and then there is a metal plate with 6 bolts covering where the bolts are on the rear part of it. Shouldn't take more then 30 minutes to remove the rear drive shaft. Exhaust is easy to take down

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
yes and no. 4 bolts will disconnect the rear shaft from the rear diff, but they are not 13mm. i have never seen a 13mm on a subaru. probably 12 mm bolts at the dear diff.

Maybe 12. I thought I remembered them being 13 but its been several months since I had to drop my driveshaft.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

nope no pictures here. You will have to drop the exhaust, and then there is a metal plate with 6 bolts covering where the bolts are on the rear part of it. Shouldn't take more then 30 minutes to remove the rear drive shaft. Exhaust is easy to take down

couldnt i just take off that plate, remove the 4 bolts, and just leave the driveshaft where it is? without disconnecting the exhaust? just use ropes or straps to keep it from falling out? i really dont want to remove it if i dont have to. as long as the rear wheels arent spinning the tranny

• I Donated
you can try. I don't think there is anything you can tie it too that will keep it away from the part where you bolt it up to the rear diff

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
Why not just get a trailer and save yourself the trouble of disconnecting all that stuff?

because he wants to do things the hard way

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

Nah I don't have endless ammounts of money. I have two children and a wife to support. I have anything but extra money.

But I try and do things the right way to avoid even more expensive repairs later on.

Trying to do things the cheapest way possible will cause you problems.

Just do it right then you won't have to worry about it screwing things up

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived