LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Y-pipe/ mid?

DGM_WAG

I have a Blitz Nur-Spec axel back that bolts up to the stock y-pipe and I was looking for a larger mid/ y-pipe combo that will bolt directly to the mufflers. So basically i need to know who makes a Y-pipe that will bolt up to the stock mufflers (sense they bolt in the same location) or if it is really necessary to change the mid/y if i'm looking to head towards stage 2 .

Thanks for the info. It appears that everyone is out of stock right now, but i may look into it in a few more weeks. I have also been thinking of selling the blitz and getting a complete invida or magnaflow kit...:rolleyes:

Any Y-setup which matches the factory path will work with the Blitz canisters, which are "necked" to follow the factory Y's flange angles and position.

Currently, the CXLighting (and similar "generic") kits utilize such a setup, but items like the Perrin and long-defunct/custom Lachute will also do the trick.

As for will you "need" the mid/Y?

Cobb's current by-Hoyle stance, in their "Map Notes," is "yes" - their official stance is a catless full turbo-back. Although individual Cobb representatives have said, on multiple Forums, that it's not necessary - why the lack of consistency, no-one has come forward to officially set the record straight.

But in all honesty, it's all about optimizing flow - and history here on .com has proven that the immediate post-turbo cats are the biggest concern: and in going back to Cobb's earlier history/posts, you'll see that their minimal requirement, back in the day, was the elimination of the immediate post-turbo cat. only. While our suspicion is that Cobb's official "Map Notes" err on the side of being extra conservative - which would thus explain their individual technician/representatives' remarks on the open Forums - there remains that lack of consistency which will have the more careful among us pointing out the discrepancy, no matter how inconsequential.

Nevertheless, in going back to the "flow" concern, the Y is further upstream than your canisters, and as-such, will present as more of a restriction than the converse of that setup: i.e. factory cans mated to a freer-flowing aftermarket mid/Y setup.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Not only that but MANY members here are running stage 2 maps after they "gutted" the first post turbo cat (there are 2 in case you didn't know ;)). This procedure isn't difficult and all that's needed is something long and somewhat sharp (get your minds out of the gutter! :lol:) like a screwdriver or crowbar.

Probably a good idea to wear a respirator too as there are some somewhat toxic heavy metals in catalytic converters that you probably do not want in your lungs.

Cheers!

Not only that but MANY members here are running stage 2 maps after they "gutted" the first post turbo cat (there are 2 in case you didn't know ;)).

^ Exactly, there have been and there are still *many* - myself included - who have done so, since Cobb's original recommendations to us, back in 2004/5.

However, since the OP asked within the "Stage II" framework, it is still important to quote what Cobb is recommending, "by-Hoyle," currently, as well as then discuss the exceptions based on both our past experiences and Cobb's current Forum statements.

Full disclosure, right? ;):)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Gotta have full disclosure! :lol:

We should get together and have a Pop-It finding party! :lol:

Archived