LegacyGT.com

brand new clutch slipping! not fully disengaging .. wrong slave cyl? bad master cyl?

Hey guys! I'm a subie newbie. Bought my friends 2005 LGT a few weeks ago. Ive been into cars for a long time and do 90% of my own wrenching.

The Legacy has a turbo back exhaust, K&N panel filter, catless up-pipe and Cobb AccessPort set on stage2. I bought the car knowing it needed a clutch. After driving it for the first time I noticed a firm pedal that needed to be pushed all the way to the floor to shift gears. And it slipped under WOT in 4th or 5th gears.

So I decided to buy a stock replacment 2009 WRX clutch and flywheel kit on Rockauto. The kit is made by AMS and cost a whopping $191.79. It came with everything I needed .. so I though. Turns out the clutch forks are a bit different which meant I could not use the WRX throw out bearing that came in the kit. I went to Subaru and bought an OEM LGT TOB and installed it.

I also bought a Centric Premium clutch slave cylinder for a LGT. Installed and bled the clutch very well. Pedal immediately felt A LOT softer then with old/worn stock LGT clutch. I thought that was weird b/c I read that WRX clutches have a higher holding capacity and should feel heavier. Anyway after driving around being very easy on her I noticed that the clutch seemed to disengage at the very top of pedal travel. I can press the clutch in roughly 1/2 way and shift gears smoothly.

After driving out of boost for over 200 miles I decided to give it a 2nd gear wack. Clutch started to slip right away! :mad:

This is what I think might be wrong..

1. Clutch master cylinder is bad ..

2. Need to use a 2009 WRX clutch slave cylinder to go with shorter WRX single mass flywheel/clutch assembly .. stock LGT flywheel is a taller dual mass unit

What do you guys think? :confused: Any input will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

The entire kit was $192.79 and came with a flywheel as well? That doesn't sound even remotely right. Looking at rockauto right now and the cheapest kit that includes a flywheel is $533.

From the sound of it, and based on the price you list, you replaced the clutch disk and the PRESSURE PLATE, not the flywheel. You cannot run the stock '05 dual-mass flywheel with an '06+ clutch kit. You need a new 06+ WRX single-mass flywheel.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

Also, I could be wrong but I believe a master / slave cylinder issue would result in you not being able to DISENGAGE the clutch, and would not manifest in issues of the clutch not fully engaging.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

I believe barman bean is correct. The master and slave cylinder leaking, would cause the clutch to not disengage.

Also it does seem you did not replace the flywheel with a single mass flywheel that bolts to the crank because I got mine for 200$ alone. The foot pedal should be heavier, not lighter because a new pressure plate(spring tension) will have more spring tension than an old one.

I would check the master cylinder for leaks. Also compare the new parts you installed to the old ones. They should be similar. Not being able to use the new throw out bearing should have been a sign that this is possibly the wrong clutch kit. The kit you have in there may have a pull type clutch when I believe your system is a push type clutch. That may be why the fork didn't fit with the TOB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

From rock auto's site,

SUBARU FORESTER 1998-2010 SUBARU IMPREZA 1998-2011 SUBARU IMPREZA SPORT 2008-2009 SUBARU LEGACY 1996-1999

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2009,impreza,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1443521,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993

IMO you bought the wrong kit.

2007 Legacy GT from rock auto's site,

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2007,legacy,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1433582,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993

Next time do what we recommend, call one of the few trusted vendors here and get what they recommend.

www.imformanceperformance.net

www.tuningalliance.com

www.AZPinstalls.com

PM underdog,

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The entire kit was $192.79 and came with a flywheel as well? That doesn't sound even remotely right. Looking at rockauto right now and the cheapest kit that includes a flywheel is $533.

From the sound of it, and based on the price you list, you replaced the clutch disk and the PRESSURE PLATE, not the flywheel. You cannot run the stock '05 dual-mass flywheel with an '06+ clutch kit. You need a new 06+ WRX single-mass flywheel.

Thanks for your fast replies!

I bought a 2009 WRX clutch kit made by AMS on Rockauto. The kit included a brand new WRX flywheel (single mass), pressure plate, friction disc and TOB.

I installed everything besides the WRX TOB b/c it would not work with my stock LGT clutch fork.

I'm thinking that I should not have reused my dual mass flywheel bolts on the single mass flywheel but the heads were basically the same hight.

I'm lost and do not want to pull the engine back out but it seems that I might have too.

From rock auto's site,

SUBARU FORESTER 1998-2010 SUBARU IMPREZA 1998-2011 SUBARU IMPREZA SPORT 2008-2009 SUBARU LEGACY 1996-1999

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2009,impreza,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1443521,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993

IMO you bought the wrong kit.

2007 Legacy GT from rock auto's site,

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2007,legacy,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1433582,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993

Next time do what we recommend, call one of the few trusted vendors here and get what they recommend.

www.imformanceperformance.net

www.tuningalliance.com

www.AZPinstalls.com

PM underdog,

I was going for a cheap stock replacement clutch as my power level isn't too high. The stock LGT clutch lasted 100k miles at the same power level.

I bought this exact clutch kit for a 2009 WRX on Rockauto .. AMS AUTOMOTIVE 15004RFW Premium Kit with Flywheel @ $191.97.

Do you think the clutch fork could be the culprit? Should I buy a 2009 WRX clutch fork and give it a shot?

• Moderators

Rockauto does not list the 15004RFW kit for LGT / WRX. It is listed for these models:

SUBARU

FORESTER1998-2010SUBARUIMPREZA1998-2011SUBARUIMPREZA SPORT2008-2009SUBARULEGACY1996-1999

I think you have the entirely wrong clutch installed. You need the proper clutch kit with SMFW and you need replacement flywheel bolts specific for the SMFW.

I can nearly guarantee that your issue has nothing to do with a slave/master cylinder, clutch fork, etc. Your issue is having the incorrect clutch kit.

Sorry that's probably hard to hear, but no sense chasing issues that won't solve your problems.

Rockauto does not list the 15004RFW kit for LGT / WRX. It is listed for these models:

SUBARU

FORESTER1998-2010SUBARUIMPREZA1998-2011SUBARUIMPREZA SPORT2008-2009SUBARULEGACY1996-1999

I think you have the entirely wrong clutch installed. You need the proper clutch kit with SMFW and you need replacement flywheel bolts specific for the SMFW.

I can nearly guarantee that your issue has nothing to do with a slave/master cylinder, clutch fork, etc. Your issue is having the incorrect clutch kit.

Sorry that's probably hard to hear, but no sense chasing issues that won't solve your problems.

I have ordered clutches from Rockauto at least 5 other times and never had an issue with fitment. If you search 2009 Impreza "2.5 turbo" > manual transmission > Clutch kits .. you will see the AMS clutch kit w/ SMFW I purchased. I even called AMS and confirmed this would fit a 2009 WRX turbo before ordering off of Rockauto. I know it is possible that the clutch is wrong but I have much doubt.

Do you think the DMFW bolts would cause the clutch to not disengage? I compared stock LGT DMFW bolts against a stock SMFW WRX clutch bolt and saw the heads were almost the same height and length. DMFW bolt heads are Torx 50plus and SMFW bolts are 6point hex heads. IDK how FW bolt's would cause an issue when bolt heads are so similar.

Do you know what the differences are between a WRX clutch fork and a LGT clutch fork?

Lastly, my master cylinder was filled with the nastiest brown/black fluid I've ever seen. I sopped most of it up with a paper towel then whipped the goop and particles out of the reservoir then filled it new DOT 4 and bled the $hit out of it.

I'm lost :confused:

Looks like correct AMS clutch would be ams 15-026, $309 on rock auto which is certainly more in line with turbo clutch pricing.

I'd honestly just go with an exedy replacement and OEM flywheel.

Yeah you might be right.

I think the only way to tell is to pull the slave cylinder off and go for a rip. If clutch slips then I know it's something to do with clutch, flywheel or flywheel bolts. If it does not slip then it's a hydraulic issue/problem.

At the end of the day Rockauto has that AMS clutch kit listed for a WRX turbo so it should hold the power. And if the clutch is in fact wrong or too weak then I will return it and buy anther one.

I'm praying that it does not slip with slave cylinder disconnected. I will report back after I test it.

So I pulled the slave cylinder off and the clutch still slips. Looks like I have a non turbo clutch or something else is wrong.

I'm going to order a Exedy FJK1001 from Rockauto. Do you guys think thats a good choice for stage2 power?

• Moderators
So I pulled the slave cylinder off and the clutch still slips. Looks like I have a non turbo clutch or something else is wrong.

I'm going to order a Exedy FJK1001 from Rockauto. Do you guys think thats a good choice for stage2 power?

You should be just fine with that clutch for stage 2. You will also need the SMFW to go with it.

I'm keeping the SMFW that came int he AMS kit. Going to return the AMS clutch with the stock LGT DMFW. Rockauto will have no idea .. hopefully.

I wish I bought the Exedy clutch from the get go. The AMS kit with SMFW @ $191 was just too good to pass up. Now I'm paying for it.

Ordering the Exedy FJK1001 from Rockauto now. Wish me luck lol

• Moderators
I'm keeping the SMFW that came int he AMS kit. Going to return the AMS clutch with the stock LGT DMFW. Rockauto will have no idea .. hopefully.

I wish I bought the Exedy clutch from the get go. The AMS kit with SMFW @ $191 was just too good to pass up. Now I'm paying for it.

Ordering the Exedy FJK1001 from Rockauto now. Wish me luck lol

You'll need more than luck if you continue to try and use incorrect parts.

I don't think that'll work, that's not the right flywheel to match up to a '09 WRX clutch.

You'll likely need to pull it apart a third time if you go that route.

True, your best bet would to just buy an oem flywheel and do it right the 2nd time to avoid a 3rd. FJK1001 will work fine for stage 2 power. Some people claim to be doing fine on stage 3. Again it's all in the driver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'd agree with the general sentiment of others and say just cut your loss on the $191 kit and replace everything with known correct parts. The Exedy FJK1001 clutch worked fine for me (stock power level) with an ACT Streetlite flywheel. If you have to take the whole thing back apart I'd really put in a known good brand (OEM WRX, ACT, etc) replacement SMFW and pilot bearing. I know reusing the DMFW bolts is not a popular route on this site but I reused them and they don't cause any issue, the bolts are not your problem. However with that said you'll probably sleep better knowing you have new bolts in there.

You should be just fine with that clutch for stage 2. You will also need the SMFW to go with it.

I'm sure the Exedy stock replacement will be fine. Especially since the stock LGT clutch lasted 12-13yrs and 120+ miles, 80k of which were stage2'ed. Almost splurged and got an Exedy stage1 but decided that I really need the car to prove itself before spending unnecessary money. This is a daily driver/beater.

Eventually one day when I grow up an 18g, FMIC, id1000's on e85 will happen. But until then .. Exedy FJK1001 it is!

You'll need more than luck if you continue to try and use incorrect parts.

I ordered a clutch kit for a 09 WRX. Either Rockauto has a n/a clutch listed for turbocharged engines or AMS is advertising n/a clutches as stronger turbocharged clutches in error. Either way I know how to wrench, diagnosis and order parts. Rockauto is spot on 99% of the time and I have been and will continue using them forever.

I'd agree with the general sentiment of others and say just cut your loss on the $191 kit and replace everything with known correct parts. The Exedy FJK1001 clutch worked fine for me (stock power level) with an ACT Streetlite flywheel. If you have to take the whole thing back apart I'd really put in a known good brand (OEM WRX, ACT, etc) replacement SMFW and pilot bearing. I know reusing the DMFW bolts is not a popular route on this site but I reused them and they don't cause any issue, the bolts are not your problem. However with that said you'll probably sleep better knowing you have new bolts in there.

The ghetto n/a flywheel should be fine, I hope :lol:. I just put a new pilot bearing in it the other day. I have used cheepo Rockauto clutches and flywheels before with great results. The Exedy FJK1001 clutch should be a good fit.

I'm definitely going to be reusing the stock LGT flywheel bolts. Everybody seems to think thats a bad Idea but I've done it many times on cars with much more power that took significantly more abuse then this car ever will. I basically followed this guys write up. He reused the flywheel bolts as well.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1805288

I appreciate all of the input and advice.

I don't think that'll work, that's not the right flywheel to match up to a '09 WRX clutch.

You'll likely need to pull it apart a third time if you go that route.

You are probably right. The flywheels look a bit different.

Does anybody know how much a brand new 06-14 flywheel is from Subaru?

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2009_WRX25L-TURBO-5MT-4WDSS-SEDAN/_54102_6024581/FLYWHEEL/G12-011-01.html

Pick a dealer close to you or look for some of the bigger online dealerships.

https://flatironstuning.com/p-1894-oem-subaru-flywheels-for-wrx-sti-and-legacy-gt.aspx (12342AA090)

Or check with a few of the vendors on this forum as mentioned earlier.

I recently purchased the ACT streetlite flywheel and the fjk1001. I am a fan of LWFW and this was cheaper than OEM, win win for my needs.

200 miles in, and I am satisfied. This is the setup I should have purchased last time. This is the replacement for competition stage 2 setup that lasted 30k

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2009_WRX25L-TURBO-5MT-4WDSS-SEDAN/_54102_6024581/FLYWHEEL/G12-011-01.html

Pick a dealer close to you or look for some of the bigger online dealerships.

https://flatironstuning.com/p-1894-oem-subaru-flywheels-for-wrx-sti-and-legacy-gt.aspx (12342AA090)

Or check with a few of the vendors on this forum as mentioned earlier.

$300+ for an OEM WRX flywheel is steep. I'm looking for a used one as I can have it resurfaced locally. Just posted a WTB thread in classifieds section. Hopefully somebody local has one.

I will call local Subaru dealers today and get a price on a new one. I might as well try a few local Subaru speed shops to see if they have anything laying around as well.

Thanks again man!

I recently purchased the ACT streetlite flywheel and the fjk1001. I am a fan of LWFW and this was cheaper than OEM, win win for my needs.

200 miles in, and I am satisfied. This is the setup I should have purchased last time. This is the replacement for competition stage 2 setup that lasted 30k

The DMFW is so damn heavy a stock WRX SMFW is basically a lightweight upgrade. Obviously if I cannot find a cheap OEM WRX SMFW soon I will have to buy new. If it comes to that I will definitely consider an ACT streetlite flywheel as I have had great experience with them in past vehicles. Just trying to keep this cheap as its my daily driver/beater.

Thanks!

Archived