LegacyGT.com

Community turbine housing

So this morning I was able to pull the turbine housing and as far as I can see it is ready to go. Starks expressed his interest to me first and he is closest so the best way I reckon for this to work is I send out the housing flat rate usps and when you are done you send me back your housing. Maybe we could start a list here with firm install date so we don't tie anyone up while someone else is ready to install.

This is the housing I have and what should be returned. Thanks guys I hope this works out for everyone who has been stuck waiting on a drop in solution. And feel free to not reinstall studs or to take them out of your housing as they will most likely need replacing anyway.

f2093d54a3dd90ea2076946923c22a89.jpg5358d505f8cd5f14f5f4be7a3534f18f.jpg1699885bb1fc8cc89986a6ff901e2f27.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interested. How hard is it to get this off the car I haven't even had the heat shield to the turbo off my car yet? Would also be nice to have a tutorial on the actual porting in this thread for people to reference. I think there is something somewhere in the nameless group buy thread but can't remember for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some posts about porting that I've found over last night and this morning. Almost all of this info is from fahr_side.

Here's a post describing how he approaches it:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nameless-downpipe-official-5th-gen-gt-install-thread-247036.html?p=5467632#post5467632

Here's another with some after-porting images of a BNR 20g turbo:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jackals-20g-18g-e85-soap-opera-228517.html?p=5182276#post5182276

From fahr_side about these images (a couple of posts afterwards): "BTW, I usually remove a bit more material than your photos seem to show, especially in the area from the turbo flange to the center of the wastegate port. You can go a bit thinner there to get it more rounded off. YMMV and all that."

This post is actually pretty thorough in explaining what to do and why:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nameless-downpipe-official-5th-gen-gt-install-thread-247036.html?p=5471980&highlight=port+wastegate#post5471980

I think there is another post somewhere in the bowels of the forums that had clear images highlighting areas to smooth out on the VF54 itself, but I haven't been able to find them.

Interested. How hard is it to get this off the car I haven't even had the heat shield to the turbo off my car yet? Would also be nice to have a tutorial on the actual porting in this thread for people to reference. I think there is something somewhere in the nameless group buy thread but can't remember for sure.

Define hard to you, lol. If you can take the turbo off then it isn't that hard at all. Undo all the heatshields and remove the clamp holding it on, then a light smack with a hammer while holding the turbo with the compressor side up.

Define hard to you, lol. If you can take the turbo off then it isn't that hard at all. Undo all the heatshields and remove the clamp holding it on, then a light smack with a hammer while holding the turbo with the compressor side up.

Guess it depends on how rusty it's going to be under there

Might I suggest smoothing the areas in orange and taking a flapper wheel to it to really smooth it out when you are done. And take a look at it from the outlet side and through the wastegate hole and make sure you are giving the cleanest and largest exit possible. I wonder if it would be possible to fit a larger wastegate flapper on there?

wastegateport.thumb.jpg.9baab088d0c176397d4f56d54c494dab.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so I kinda got fed up, impatient, and short on time so I said "eff it".

I contacted Boost Labs and spoke with them about porting it. They looked, agreed it was a poorly designed housing and said they'd do it. With an extremely quick turnaround (half a day) I got this back.

df6bff800c340d93300f34a85e27bac9.jpg

076d17201a3750faa59822ea284fc4ae.jpg

267275af4c4c33c3fc76d82323358683.jpg

527de8b6ebb48ac982c840ed67f56ce5.jpg

180e1a65acb1a382b4c2cc90751c16cd.jpg

The first words out of my mouth when I saw it were holy shit.

I think I'm good to go fellas!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wonder if it would be possible to fit a larger wastegate flapper on there?

I'm working on one now. 3mm oversize is about 30% more area.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You'd pretty much need a bellmouth designed downpipe for this to work though, correct?

The customer has an HKS downpipe that does indeed have a bellmouth rather than a flat flange with a hole in it. But, those with flat flange designs could get away with fabbing a flange-shaped spacer to make room. When the turbo comes back from being modded I'll get some photos of where it ends up when full open.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 3 weeks later...

After much time and rust and frustration I got the manifold off. Hopefully I'll have the turbine off and packed up by the end of the week.

If you'd like the turbine next speak up!

Edit: oh and by the way, if you are looking to do this and you think there may be any bit of rust under there START SPRAYING PB BLASTER NOW!!

Alright, I guess those bolts weren't as rusty as I thought they were going to be so I got my turbine off. Here's some comparison pics of mine versus stock.

If you want the housing next speak up and pm me or something. I can have it going out soon.

1568555c28d9f07151373de6bfb316e3.jpg

22c437dc447eaf9ebe29eab9c893e5fd.jpg

dabe8206a68c8dd1a25ce0c459860281.jpg

2b060ab10fa4503fbc3f1e776172e714.jpg

a69d515f5dad370a9450279d14cf72d1.jpg

I would like to be next on the list, but I cannot even touch this until the second week of May. So if no one else comes forward and says they can do it sooner, sign me up.

I've a couple of mods to do this summer, so hopefully I can help make the forum a bit more interesting...

I would like to be next on the list, but I cannot even touch this until the second week of May. So if no one else comes forward and says they can do it sooner, sign me up.

I've a couple of mods to do this summer, so hopefully I can help make the forum a bit more interesting...

I'd like to keep it moving for people with firm dates for installing. But if no one else chimes in send it. I will be looking at June or later to do mine. Anyone whose already pulled their DP once is way ahead of the game, so keep that in mind.

For sure, and absolutely no pressure on my part. It would be silly for it to sit in my garage if it could be doing someone else some good somewhere. So maybe I should be second on the list unless no one shows up to be first.

Give it this week and then send it off to Sarang if noone else chimes in, that's more than enough time. My wife is due for a Csection next week so we will be otherwise preoccupied for at least 3 weeks 18 years.

ftfy

Archived