LegacyGT.com

How To: Search the Forum!

• Moderators

This is not a rant against newbs (hell, I'm still a newb--although I'd like to think that I've learned my way around this forum a bit and even have some helpful info from time to time). I just want to make public my method for searching this forum. This is not my own, but something that was suggested on the forum but is not widely advertised.

Do NOT use the search that is found on the forum. It is useless--especially if you have search terms that contain small words (3 or 4 characters).

Instead, go to google or whatever search engine you like. If, for example, you are search for how to remove your banjo bolt, type the following in the search box:

banjo bolt site:legacygt.com

the key is adding the "site:legacygt.com" to limit the search results to only those found on the forum. I was not aware of this search engine feature until a little while ago and it helps IMMENSELY! I use it all the time now, not just for searching this forum.

You'll see marked improvements on your ability to track down information that already exists here rather than posting the same question for the umpteenth time and getting flamed for it.

Hope this helps some folks out, happy new year!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Even with one word, "Search" doesn't narrow it down, you will get 50 threads that don't have the word I typed in the titles. I would have to open each thread to see if it's something I'm looking for, as far as for me it does this.

search   [surch] Show IPA

verb (used with object)

to go or look through (a place, area, etc.) carefully in order to find something missing or lost: They searched the woods for the missing child. I searched the desk for the letter.

to look at or examine (a person, object, etc.) carefully in order to find something concealed: He searched the vase for signs of a crack. The police searched the suspect for weapons.

to explore or examine in order to discover: They searched the hills for gold.

to look at, read, or examine (a record, writing, collection, repository, etc.) for information: to search a property title; He searched the courthouse for a record of the deed to the land.

to look at or beneath the superficial aspects of to discover a motive, reaction, feeling, basic truth, etc.: He searched her face for a clue to her true feelings.

that's what searching is.

If the serach box gave you exactly what you're looking for every time it would be called a "find" box.

Think about it

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I moderate another forum, and when it searches, it gives you an option to search a thread or a post. As you know as a moderator, this is a never ending battle, including myself, if it's not easy, then people won't use it. Thus the reason for this thread. There, I thought about it......:rolleyes:

find

   /faɪnd/ http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled [fahynd] http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA verb, found, find·ing, noun

verb (used with object) 1. to come upon by chance; meet with: He found a nickel in the street.

2. to locate, attain, or obtain by search or effort: to find an apartment; to find happiness.

3. to locate or recover (something lost or misplaced): I can't find my blue socks.

4. to discover or perceive after consideration: to find something to be true.

5. to gain or regain the use of: His anger finally helped him find his tongue.

• Moderators
This really wasn't meant to turn into this type of argument. BDII's new member sticky is awesome, everyone should read it. Unfortunately everyone does not. I posted this in the 4th gen forum because it is one of the most active, and I hoped that a bunch of people would read this and it would cut down on repetitive posting at least for a short time, kind of a public service announcement. Using the google search method as indicated in the original post works VERY well for me. So I use it and I hope that others will use it with success as well. If you are able to make the forum search work for you (regular, advanced, thread titles only, whatever) that's awesome too.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived