LegacyGT.com

Rear camera input on 5th-Gen HUs w/ 4.3" screen (PE627U1, PE658U1, PE438L1, PE669U1)

SVXdc

[uPDATED] All of the Legacy/Outback OEM Panasonic head units with 4.3" display -- USDM 2012 PE627U1, 2013 PE658U1, and 2014 PE669U1 -- are confirmed to have the rear camera feature, as well as the 2013 EDM PE438L1.

[ADDED 7/15/2014: Thank you, jpotts, for confirming PE627U1 does have the camera function also!]

[ADDED 8/22/2015: Other similar models with 4.3" screen: PE227K1 (AUDM), PE427L1, PE527S1, PE538S1, PE638S1. Need to confirm, but all of these probably have the camera function too.]

BTW, the last character on each of those is the digit 'one', not letter 'i'.

I posted pictures and pin-outs for the PE627U1 here. All 3 USDM models look identical on the back (except for the model number sticker). The EDM model looks the same, except it lacks the XM antenna socket.

Relevant pins on 2013-2014 HUs' 28-pin socket:

2   +12V Reverse Gear signal.  Car already provides this (not shown on some diagrams)

8   Camera feature enable.  Connect this to chassis ground.

11  +6 Volt power supply from HU to camera
12  CGND (HU connects this to ground internally)
13  Camera video(-) ground/shield (from inside HU) {car also grounds this}
14  Camera video(+)

You could simply loop pin 8 onto pin 12.

Once the feature is enabled, the HU will pop up the camera image whenever you shift into reverse. Unlike the Fujitsu Ten navigation models, these Legacy/Outback HUs do not check for the camera at boot-up. You can ground and un-ground the detect pin "on the fly" to enable/disable the function. These HUs also do not check for video signal from the camera -- if the camera is not working or there is none, you'll get a black screen with the parking guide lines.

[ADDED 7/24/2014: nstg8r has confirmed that his 2012's PE627U1 enables the camera feature simply by grounding pin 8. The HU does not try to detect a video signal from the camera. After you ground pin 8, if you don't have a camera connected that is providing a video signal, the HU will switch to a blank screen whenever you shift into reverse.]

When you shift out of reverse, the HU immediately reverts back to whatever audio display was there previously. However, the PE627U1 HU keeps the camera 6V lead powered for about 7 more seconds.

Some recent Impreza, Crosstrek, and Forester models have a Multi-Function Display (MFD) above the HU which displays the rear camera. The MFDs work in a similar way as the PE6xxU1 HUs -- they only enable the camera feature when their enable pin is grounded, and they don't check for a video signal from the camera.

The Legacy/Outback's factory 28-pin harness already has the reverse gear signal on pin 2. Even 2012 models have this (though not documented on Subaru's wiring diagrams).

All of the recent OEM HUs and MFDs with video-capable displays have a "secret" dealer service menu where you can check the camera image and adjust the parking guide lines (and in some cases, disable/enable them).

The 2012-2014 Legacy/Outback service manuals all show a procedure for the non-nav HUs with 4.3" screen (in the section Body >> Entertainment >> Audio System):

[Corrected/clarified 8/22/2015:]

1. Turn key to ACC
  2. Turn HU to audio off
  3. Press and hold HU's preset "1" key
  4. Then also press and hold preset keys 4, 5, and 6 (so end up holding 4 buttons). The order of these 3 doesn't matter, but you must press each one distinctly (can't mash all 3 simultaneously).
  5. You should see screen titled "System Diagnostic Menu"
  6. Option "Confirmation / Adjustment" is highlighted. Press SCROLL/TUNE knob (button) to select.
  7. On next screen, use SCROLL/TUNE knob to highlight "Camera System", press knob to select.
  8. Next screen shows camera image (or black) with parking guide lines.
  9. Use preset buttons 1/2 to adjust lines' angle, 3/4 for up/down, and 5/6 for left/right.
  10. Use SCROLL/TUNE knob to select "OK" to save (or select BACK to discard changes), then press knob.

There don't appear to be any options to change the warning text language, or to completely turn off/on the guide lines.

That's roughly similar to the procedure for Impreza/Forester Clarion HUs (shown here).

[i had originally written here that the camera setup procedure in the 2012 Legacy/Outback service manual was the same as the procedure for the OEM Kenwood navigation HU. I see now that the section 'ET >> Rearview Camera System' for 2012-2014 all show that same procedure (where you press left and right sides of the touchscreen 6 times), which is definitely not the procedure for the PE6xxU1 HUs. The procedure is different on the new 2013-2014 Fujitsu Ten nav HUs -- see this.]

I suspect that no Legacy/Outback models are [completely] pre-wired, except those where Subaru offers the camera as a dealer- or owner-installable accessory (are there any?). This has been the case in the other models (only pre-wired when Subaru officially offers camera as accessory). It's possible that the factory includes some fragments of the camera harness bundled with other sections of the car's wiring, but unless your car has the whole set, it really won't be worth trying to tie into portions like that. Just run a new shielded video cable and power wire and call it a day. Nearly all aftermarket cameras include long cables for you.

[ADDED 4/21/2015: My suspicion above still seems to hold: It doesn't look like any models are 100% pre-wired (to where you just plug the OEM camera's short harness into a socket that is waiting at the very back of the trunk or tailgate. A few people have found that their cars are mostly pre-wired -- from the HU's 28-pin plug to an intermediate harness in the trunk/tailgate. See discussion, pictures, and drawings throughout this thread. At least one person installed an aftermarket camera by connecting it there (in the trunk), and then only needed to add the enable pin at the HU.]

Please help us determine which cars have that factory wiring. See my post #62 and reply with your information so I can add it to the list.

BTW, people have found that many aftermarket cameras will work from 6V (even when the manufacturer lists "12V" on the camera's specs). So it's worth testing a camera before you start hunting for a 12V source to tap into.

See previous discussions in these threads:

I'm having a factory make short female RCA cables and additional single wires with the proper pins to snap into the empty slots on the cars' 28-pin harness plug. I'll post an update when those are available (no ETA yet).

To contact me, use e-mail not PMs. Hint: See my homepage link, ae64.com . If you do send a PM, please include your e-mail address.

Edited by SVXdc
PE627U1 does have the camera function! HU does not check for camera video; Updated MFD info; Correct steps to enter diag mode

This question is bound to come up: How can I view the camera image while I'm not in reverse?

Two ways:

A) Go into the HU's dealer service menu, and pull up the camera screen.

B) Cut (or, preferably, extract) the factory reverse gear wire from the HU's 28-pin harness. Add a switch so you can select between:

1. Normal operation (car's reverse gear signal connected as it was originally), and
  2. Forced 'on' (send +12V into the HU's input).

Be sure to do that without sending +12V to the rest of the car's reverse gear circuit (otherwise you'll be lighting your back-up lights, and other bad things might happen with your transmission and traction control). Use a SPDT switch (3 terminals, with two 'on' positions). Wire the common pin to the HU's reverse signal input (pin #2 on the 28-pin socket). Wire one of the 'on' terminals to the car's reverse signal wire. Wire the other 'on' terminal to +12V Accessory power.

The procedure to get to the setup menu is described the same in the 2012, 2013, and 2014 service manuals, and doesn't seem to work on my car (I had found a procedure for Panasonic head units that worked - I can't find it though... when I got into the service menu, everything looked correct, except the camera features thing wasn't there.) - the wiring diagrams all show what you have indicated above - the things missing on the 2012 diagram are the reverse to pin 2, and then the camera leads to pins 11-14 (on connector I192 - the 28 pin one) - I haven't pulled the head unit to check, but you are saying pin 2 is already connected to reverse for 2012, correct? So what someone needs to do is ground pin 8 and see if when they put it into reverse, it goes into a camera display, correct?

The procedure to get to the setup menu is described the same in the 2012, 2013, and 2014 service manuals ...

I was confused -- the service manuals show the 'dealer menu' procedure in the section "Rearview Camera System", and a similar procedure in the "Audio System" section. I edited my first post to clarify.

... and doesn't seem to work on my car [2012 LGT] (I had found a procedure for Panasonic head units that worked - I can't find it though... when I got into the service menu, everything looked correct, except the camera features thing wasn't there.)
Please try to dig that up. I'm wondering if the HUs are smart enough to hide those menus when pin 8 isn't grounded, or if that means the 2012 PE627U1 truly does not have the camera feature.

you are saying pin 2 is already connected to reverse for 2012, correct?
Correct -- confirmed from pictures of the factory harnesses that other 2012 owners have sent me.

So what someone needs to do is ground pin 8 and see if when they put it into reverse, it goes into a camera display, correct?
Yes. Keep in mind that the HU may also be checking for the video signal, as I mentioned in my first post. I still need a 2013 or 2014 owner to check that. [ADDED: nstg8r confirmed that his 2012's PE627U1 started showing a blank screen by just grounding pin 8 (when shifted in reverse). So HU is not detecting camera video signal.]. Edited by SVXdc
Updated: HU doesn't try to detect camera video signal.

I could not get to the dealer menu on my 2014 2.5i [PE669U1] without the camera.

That last character is a 'one' not 'i'. Compare to the preset "1" button, and the "i" in "ENTER SETTING" (label above preset 5 button) and on the LIST button.

1147623007_PE669U1modelnum.thumb.jpg.a1a97d13adb4287155cd79eef17c4cc6.jpg

As DrD123 posted, the procedure shown in Subaru's service manual doesn't work. We need to find out the proper procedure for these HUs.

Edited by SVXdc

• 5 months later...
USDM 2013 PE658U1 and 2014 PE669U1 are confirmed to have the rear camera feature, as well as the 2013 EDM PE438L1. Now that I've put all of the pieces together on those models, I think it's worth rechecking the USDM 2012 PE627U1 -- that one might wind up having the camera feature after all.

Digging up an old thread. I thought I would get everyone up to speed on my Rear Camera install. I purchased a Rydeen Miny Camera and a PE658U1. I made a harness for the power wires and rca connector using the factory pins. I installed the factory style pins into the factory connector 8,11-14. Ran the wire to the passenger side and through the floor to the back. I ran it through the trunk grommet and into the trunk. I cutout the plastic where the factory camera goes with a dremel tool. I mounted the camera at the factory location and fired it up. Everything works perfectly!

I THEN Hooked up my PE627U1 Stereo for giggles to see if that would work. I can 100% confirm that IT DOES in fact work with the camera. Looks great and only took me about 2 hours from start to finish. What an easy install. I am a little bummed that I bought the PE658 because I really dont need it.

If anyone has a stock stereo and wants to upgrade to a 4.3" with camera capabilities, I have one for sale. I will try to do an informal writeup in the next few days with some pictures.

P.S. The camera cost me $40.00 on Ebay new, anyone with a 4.3" without a camera can do this mod for no more than $50, and make it well worth it.

Edited by jpotts

jpotts, do you have a link to the camera you used? Also, where did you get pins to use in the factory harness plug? Do you have any pictures of the install or the final installation. Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

Jeffers,

USDM 2013 PE658U1 and 2014 PE669U1 are confirmed to have the rear camera feature, as well as the 2013 EDM PE438L1. Now that I've put all of the pieces together on those models, I think it's worth rechecking the USDM 2012 PE627U1 -- that one might wind up having the camera feature after all.

Digging up an old thread. I thought I would get everyone up to speed on my Rear Camera install. I purchased a Rydeen Miny Camera and a PE658U1. I made a harness for the power wires and rca connector using the factory pins. I installed the factory style pins into the factory connector 8,11-14. Ran the wire to the passenger side and through the floor to the back. I ran it through the trunk grommet and into the trunk. I cutout the plastic where the factory camera goes with a dremel tool. I mounted the camera at the factory location and fired it up. Everything works perfectly!

I THEN Hooked up my PE627U1 Stereo for giggles to see if that would work. I can 100% confirm that IT DOES in fact work with the camera. Looks great and only took me about 2 hours from start to finish. What an easy install. I am a little bummed that I bought the PE658 because I really dont need it.

If anyone has a stock stereo and wants to upgrade to a 4.3" with camera capabilities, I have one for sale. I will try to do an informal writeup in the next few days with some pictures.

P.S. The camera cost me $40.00 on Ebay new, anyone with a 4.3" without a camera can do this mod for no more than $50, and make it well worth it.

Edited by jefferskn

jpotts, do you have a link to the camera you used? Also, where did you get pins to use in the factory harness plug? Do you have any pictures of the install or the final installation. Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

Jeffers,

Once I get unlazy. I can quick write something up. The camera of choice is the Rydeen Miny. I got a GCOM (Same company, longer warranty) This camera operates of 3.3vdc by means of a regulator, so the 6vdc output from the headunit is perfect for it.

I drilled one hole in the trunklid for the wire (+/- 1/4") painted the bare metal with nailpolish and ran a grommet through. I then routed the wires through the trunk, down through the passenger side behind all the kick trim. Routed behind the glovebox, and to the stereo. It was a small jumper wire (to ground the input) a video + and common, and a 6vdc wire.

I am waiting on the right connector pins, once I have those, I will let you know. I sourced them out last week, i am just waiting for them.

Edited by jpotts

Jpotts, thank you for the info. I have been wanting to do this for some time but thought I had to use the factory camera. I look forward to your right up. When you do get a chance to write something up you should do it in this thread since alot of people are already subscribed to this thread. Thanks again.

So for a 2012 with the PE627U1, i just need a camera, and then make a harness?

Edited by Hepy117

That appears to be correct! I am eagerly awaiting the writeup to see what I need - I was curious if the leads would already be there if the car harness was the same as when a car has NAV, but apparently not. From the message above, it sounds like you need to run 5 wires - the camera looks like it uses four (D11-14, but one is a shield/ground) - I don't know what the fifth pin (pin 8) is for. I was going to get a shielded three or four conductor wire and run that from the head unit back to the trunk if the leads weren't there. If they are already run to the head unit, then it should be possible to just splice into the factory harness on the right side of the trunk.

That's spot on. The camera is a harness with 3 of the connections.... an rca connector for the video. (I just used an old rca female I had so that I didn't have to cut the harness.). The other 2 wires are the jumper... pin 8 to 12 if I remember. Its just a wire loop. This brings one of the pins to ground to enable the camera. The rest is easy. I used a rydeen miny camera. They are all over eBay and shouldnt cost more than $55

Ok - so on connector I192 (x pins) pin 11, 12, and 14 go to the camera, and then 13 is the shield which is eventually tied to ground. And then pin 8 is shorted to pin 6 (which is just a shield that is also eventually tied to ground) - in the MY13 wiring diagram it shows pin 8 as only being present for the rearview camera. Does it matter which ground you tie pin 8 to? I can't imagine why it would, and you were able to short to pin 14 and get it to work.

So I take it the harness on the backside of the 2012 had empty spots where the rear view camera leads go - is that correct? Did you notice an unused 6 pin connector behind the stereo by chance? (for 2012, the connector for the NAV camera was a separate 6 pin connector)

Guess i need to take a gander at the wiring diagram so see all of this

Here are the pertinent connections that need to be made (indicated in red). Pin 8 must be grounded to tell the stereo it has a camera. 13 is grounded and that's the shield for the cable to the camera, 11, 12, and 14 are the connections for the camera itself (some combination of power and signal back to the head unit)

Capture1.JPG.645cfe03d99fdd45b8ae60542d59903b.JPG

Edited by DrD123

For 13, the you would attach it to a ground yourself (in a car with a factory installed rearview camera, it would be done at the joint connector - about halfway down the diagram, where you see the leads go off to the right, that goes on to a joint connector where a series of leads are tied together, then that tied to ground) - I haven't seen/pulled apart a factory harness, so I don't know if it's 3 leads wrapped in foil within the bundle, or if it's separate from the harness...

Ok - so this is odd - I pulled the radio as I was curious if the navigation connector was sitting back there - it was not, however, the leads that should be there in pins 11, 12, 13, and 14 for a backup camera were there. There was no pin grounding location 8, though.

Does anyone else have a '12 Limited that can check if they have these leads as well? I have a '12 pretty early in the model run, so I am not sure what the deal is. Pic below shows the leads on the connector - colors are correct according to the 2013 service manual. (removing the trim around the stereo is very simple - open the storage compartment, insert your hand, make a fist, and pull the trim out)

In addition - pin 2 is connected to the backup light (brown wire with a yellow stripe) - this is listed in the 2013 manual, but no connection to pin 2 is listed in the 2012 manual (maybe an error - I downloaded the service manual shortly after it came out, so it's possible there have been corrections)

Capture2.JPG.baf523f0abbbbf2182d54eaa8e3f31ed.JPG

More good news - based on the wiring diagram, the leads should extend back to connector R60 (trunk cord connector - located just above the trunk opening on the right side) - supposed to be pins 6, 7, 8, and 9 (9 is the shield, and it is supposed to be yellow at this connector) - sure enough, they are there! So looks like all I need to do is ground pin 8 at the head unit, then connect the camera to pins 6-9, and I am good to go (Blue/yellow goes to white on the camera, blue/orange goes to black, and white/blue goes to red)

Capture3.JPG.867f9233a28c2c43ce4fdebbde83a894.JPG

More good news - based on the wiring diagram, the leads should extend back to connector R60 (trunk cord connector - located just above the trunk opening on the right side) - supposed to be pins 6, 7, 8, and 9 (9 is the shield, and it is supposed to be yellow at this connector) - sure enough, they are there! So looks like all I need to do is ground pin 8 at the head unit, then connect the camera to pins 6-9, and I am good to go (Blue/yellow goes to white on the camera, blue/orange goes to black, and white/blue goes to red)

That's so strange. I too have a 2012 model and it does not have the wires in the connectors or run to the back. I heard some early conversations about sunroof vs no sunroof and that the wiring harness may differ. I did have a sunroof 2012 with no wires prerun.

P.s. when I did the ground loop... pin 12 was grounded internally so I wired a loop from 12 to 8 at the head unit. I am still sourcing the pins. Unless someone knows what they are and can help. I know they are te connectivity pins, but the two that I have ordered haven't been exactly perfect. Maybe svxdc can help...