LegacyGT.com

Mobile Guardian: Reveiw

Mobile Guardian vehicle tracking/limiting/disabling system

ok, if you hadnt realized from the fact that i put a Mobile Guardian in my car that A.) nerdly and B.) possesive, then take note that im nerdy and possesive.

Purchase: retail is about $995 (i paid a bit less) and it integrates with stock/pre-isntalled alarms.

Perks:

• Vehicle tracking (locate once or track ever 5/10/30 minutes)
  • remote peed limiting (60/70/80/none)
  • remote disable/enable
  • bitchin mapquest type interface
  • uses cellular phone and GPS networks
  • self diagnostic/remote repair
  • email notifications on any email or SMS device
  • logging functions
  • uses OEM remotes / alarms
  • insurance discounts / peace of mind

cons:

• it wont locate my car in the garage (if i back out its fine, and they are looking into this)
  • price
  • tech support speaks thick Emgrish

went back to the dealership today to get this installed, free labor, arriving at about 9. i waited at the dealer and was out by about 11. when i got home, wanting to play with another new toy, a K&N filter, so i popped thehood and installed it.

when i went to start up the car, it would start then kill itself. "good to know it works" is what i was thinking as i got on the PC to try to re-enable it. my login which i received from the dealer didnt work. i called tech support and it turns out it was written wrong by the installer. however, this took a good 15 minutes to uncover due to the tech's accent (outsourced callc enter maybe?)

after about 20 minutes they tell me that all the diagnostics on the Mobile Guardian check out, so it must be a problem with th car or the install. they offer to send a tech to my house to chekc it out. right around this time, the hamster in my head wakes up and gets on his wheel.

air filter. i couldnt be that stupid could i?

yes, yes i could. MAF was disconnected.

went for a spin round the block, parked and locked the car, and got on my PDA to try to disable the car. car wont start. perfect. enable it, and the car works once again.

but alas, i still cant get it to Locate the car on their map. it still registers me at the dealership about 20 miles away. not wanting to deal with the tech support again i used the interw3b to search for a solution.

problem? clouds.

Why did the locate feature not pinpoint my vehicle’s exact location?

The GPS satellites use a triangulation system, utilizing multiple satellites to get an exact position. If your vehicle is in an area (ex: underground or next to a steep hill) that partially blocks one or more of those satellites, the system will find it within a few hundred feet of its actual location.

I clicked the locate button and it searched but didn’t give a new position on my vehicle?

There is a remote possibility that atmospheric or environmental conditions could interfere with the locating process. We recommend waiting a minute or two before trying this feature again.

GPS can be used to drop bombs from 40,000+ feet into the 18th hole at a golf course, but it cant see through light cloud cover and tell me where my car is? bs. if my UV activated Bondo will harden in this weather im sure gps works....

as soon as it clears up ill try again, for now though, it seems like only a marginal system. seriously, clouds? if my car gets stolen in winter and then put in a garage im boned? few more days of playing around with it before i ask for my money back.

overall impression: great idea, great web interface, CLOUDS??? WTF!!

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

GPS can be used to drop bombs from 40,000+ feet into the 18th hole at a golf course, but it cant see through light cloud cover and tell me where my car is? bs.

military-grade > commercial-grade

This Space For Rent

military-grade > commercial-grade

true, but still... i had a gps on my old carPC setup and it worked in whiteout conditions, but then again, it had an antenna on the dash, this one is "covertly installed"

Do you have to pay monthly?

no. you get 16 "locates" free, additional ones have to be purchased (15 for $5 --->1000 for $150?)

the ignition kill/enable doesnt use locate, neither does limiting. if the car is stolen they will locate it and set it to kill the next time someone trys to start it.

That sounds cool. Where did you get that installed?

i got a discount at signing on it from the suby dealer where i picked up my 05. got free labor and about 150 or so off...

i considered getting the retail version of the dealer ignition kill system, but the idea of someone walking around with one of their masters... or having enough time to get in and disable it... i just descided that recovery is a better option.

if someone wants your car they are gona get it provided they have the skill/time they need. this just makes sure they dont get very far very quickly.

also, it wont kill the car while it is driving so you dont need to worry about that. if the car is started without they key / OEM alarm clicker the iginition is disabled on the NEXT start. so when they stop to get gas they get nailed

I bought one for my Honda. It is fairly easily transferrable to other cars also once it's installed. I like the idea of it notifying me if it's travelling faster than say 80mph.

It is kinda nerdy to have though. :icon_bigg

But I figure it's kinda like Lojack + GPS in one.

tom :)

But I figure it's kinda like Lojack + GPS in one.
yah and it works out side of lojack range since it runs on GPS and phone networks

+1 for newer tech

GPS DOES NOT SEE THROUGH CLOUD COVER! DUH The sat is above you not on the ground!

Actually, living here in Seattle we have a lot of cloud cover and my gps nav works fine. My guess is the mobile guardian antenna is probably hidden and not as good as a gps nav, which might explain the difficulty it is having. It would be a bummer if your car were stolen on a cloudy day and the mobile guardian wasn't working!

tom

just tought about that, our subbys are equipted with ignition kill already, how likely is it for someone to steal your keys if you don't leave it in the ignition or the lock.

this has more applications that just for stolen cars. its passive, so unless u go online and lock it, it will start. any theif can figure a way to steal a car given enough time and no interuptions, this just ensures you get it back ( or most of ti back).

my car is also a slut... well, normally this is still my baby, but in a few months time people will eb allowed to drive it (freinds / fam)... and i can see how they drive my precious... and if i want, make sure they cant beat on it =D

just tought about that, our subbys are equipted with ignition kill already, how likely is it for someone to steal your keys if you don't leave it in the ignition or the lock.

Sorry, any professional thief can overcome the ignition key kill. (As the police told me when my car was stolen!) It does provide a deterrent from these kids who just want to go on a joy ride though.

tom

Sorry, any professional thief can overcome the ignition key kill. (As the police told me when my car was stolen!) It does provide a deterrent from these kids who just want to go on a joy ride though.

tom

yah what he said, sry your car got jack'd :(

Archived