LegacyGT.com

PCV valve

I'm almost at 30K miles with my NA 2.5 so it's time for some maintenance. Changed plugs, air filter, cleaned MAF, Mobil1 synthetic - do I have to replace the PCV valve? I'm new to this platform and to be honest, I don't know where to look for it...Also, anything else I should check/replace?

TIA!

welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear your using Mobil 1. But then, your NA so its not as important.

Sorry but as you read more your understand about the oil thing.

I'm at 144,000 miles, have never changed the PCV.

We change the fluid in our rear diff and manual trannys every 30,000 too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

welcome to the forum.

Sorry but as you read more your understand about the oil thing.

I'm at 144,000 miles, have never changed the PCV.

Maybe you should as you loose oil on almost daily basis judging from your posts :)

My PCV at 95K was completely stuck so that the oil was just streaming into the intake. After the PCV got replaced the oil consumption subsided dramatically.

What would be an oil of choice? I used Amsoil on my Regal but it had shit load of mods.

Good to know, as far as trans fluid - pan drop and new filter or flush?

Diff fluid - rear only or R & F?

Thanks!

I haven't changed the brake fluid in my 05 yet.

Automatics are different, I don't have one so I do follow them that closely. You do have a front diff in front of your tanny. So you should have two dip sticks, I think one on each side of the tranny area.

RomanC

My 05 also has a A/O seperator that was installed by a shop. I believe they removed the PCV. I believe my problem has to do more with old abused rings and cylinder walls. From years ago.

Oh yea, and now it's pushing 21psi. So I can't complain to much.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Ahhh...it all makes sense now, trans dipstick is on the right, then i looked closely and was like WTF is that other dipstick on the left for :D

I also think they take different fluids too. There was this same type question a ago or so.

For the auto trans the easiest thing to do is a drain and fill. No dropping of the pan or anything like that. Just make sure that you don't over fill the transmission. We normally only replace what comes out and then triple check the level once it has been driven. However there should also be a trans filter on the side of the trans or behind the battery (dependent on build date). There is a slight chance you don't have a filter at all (again build date specific). The diffs get heavy gear fluid (75w90) and the trans gets auto fluid.

The PCV you might as well inspect so you know if it is in good shape. At 110K mine was considered "working" but sounded dirty and for the $15 I just replaced it. Brakes will need a flush as well.

Amsoil is a good choice for this car as well. Mobil 1 has been a topic of some discussion. Some use it with no issue while others find it is the devil in a bottle. The NA motor can stretch out its oil changes with Amsoil as long as you use their filters too.

** Forgot drain and fill coolant too

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Bought my car at 60kish, at around 68k i did a pcv and grimmspeed AOS. At that time my tmic was very clean just a light sheen of oil but nothing coated. Now at 83100 with new IPR tmic at 70k, and its dry.

My Grand Prix GTP use to chew up its pcv valve every 8k, lol never burned oil just 13lbs of m90 boost.

its a cheap easy to do part, I say if in doubt swap it out.

Archived