LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fluid change = flush. For all intents and purposes these are interchangeable, the clarifying point is over HOW they went about changing the fluid. This is important, because if they did a manual drain and fill, meaning they trained what was in the pan and filled it back up, then they only replaced about half to 60% of the fluid which is now mixed with old fluid. It is better than nothing, but a fluid change done with a machine (aka flush), pushes out ALL old fluid and replaces it with new.

That's what I was trying to find out, if they did a pan drain/fill, or they hooked up a fluid exchange machine which is traditionally known as a fluid flush.

I am not sure. I could call and ask. The service advisor did mention that there is a pan in the torque converter that cannot be "drained or flushed" so even if they used a machine and siphoned it a bunch of fluid would remain.

On my work order it specifically says "drain and fill". Additionally I was billed for 6qts of fluid. That may help determine how much fluid they really replaced. Anyone know the full fluid capacity of the CVT?

The great Flying Spaghetti Monster knows all!!!! Yeas, looks like a drain and fill. For the record, my first service will be a drain and fill only as I want any of the initial heavier wear particles to come out of the drain hole.

On my work order it specifically says "drain and fill". Additionally I was billed for 6qts of fluid. That may help determine how much fluid they really replaced. Anyone know the full fluid capacity of the CVT?

That settles it. Thanks!

The transmission fluid exchange would be done while the engine was running, with the transmission operating as well. The pump would be pushing out the old fluid and sucking in the new fluid. This is how a total fluid exchange is done, and normally needs right around 13 quarts for a trans that holds around 10.

In your case, the fluid you have now is 60% new mixed in with 40% old.

That settles it. Thanks!

The transmission fluid exchange would be done while the engine was running, with the transmission operating as well. The pump would be pushing out the old fluid and sucking in the new fluid. This is how a total fluid exchange is done, and normally needs right around 13 quarts for a trans that holds around 10.

In your case, the fluid you have now is 60% new mixed in with 40% old.

Good to know. I need to get my fluid out to Blackstone, just been way too busy right now.

No sooner than I post here about my constant near-stalls while coming to a stop after highway driving, and now the car has been *flawless* the last week.

Maybe I need to post here more often. (Took a 4 year break.)

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry guys I have been slacking and haven't had a chance to send the fluid out to Blackstone yet. But I did remember to send out my Valentine One for a software upgrade before I got away for Easter vacation. I will try to get to it next weekend if possible. Oh, by the way I'm posting this 36K feet up in the air going over 500mph, LOL. Happy Easter.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I traded my 2012 at 85k to avoid this issue. Leaving the subaru community again. Good luck to you guys. Hope its not as bad as it looks.

Honestly this situation doesn't look that bad to me considering we are observing a very small sample size and the far majority are having no problems whatsoever. I think the chances of something going wrong with the CVT are probably less than something major going wrong in almost any other car/make/model but that's just my opinion. I'm pretty easy on my cars so I don't think I will have any problems but if I do then I will probably just replace the CVT and let it go another 100k or so.

Even the Outback forum has a very small percentage of owners that have issues with their CVTs so that is promising.

I wish you luck with you next vehicle Wharf Rat and hope you are pleased with it. Maybe report back on what you get and give us a little review/comparison. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone, I have made minor progress. I have my fluid sample in a Blackstone test kit ready to go out to them sitting on my kitchen counter. Now only if I would remember to ship the damn thing.

Hoping to hear back within 2 weeks of sending it out.

Now for the suspense...

I have similar sqealing syptoms. I have 2011 2.5i Outback with 140k km.

Usually it is when i use Cruise Control and Reset the speed. Whet engine starts to push and build rpms it squiels and looses traction (in gearbox) and looses rpms. And then it regains tractions and builds up rpms. I can see it at 90km/h speeds.

While experimenting had some little slips also when driving steady.

Are there some news on this?

Now I have 146 k km. Now it is slipping even when driving in manual mode and 5th gear. So it is progressing. Only answer from dealer for now is to replace whole gearbox. To be continued..

Now I had changed secondarry pressure sensor and run few thousand km without problems. So my theory about faulty sensor was right. When you hear a sqeeling sound and feel slipping when accelerating, first try changing the seccondarry pressure sensor.

Thinking of CVTF drainf and fill to lengthen the life of CVT.

My 2011 Legacy had the CVT replaced at 85k km and now has 134k km on it. So, the new CVT only has 49k km on it. The maintenance page on Subarus web site recommends doing the fluid at 96k km as part of the major service.

I've had 4 Honda vehicles before this and always changed the transmission fluid once a year. Yes, I know it's overkill but my transmissions have been running smooth and thankfully without issues thus far - (178k km on my 05 Odyssey).

Anyway, my question: Is there any reason to not do the transmission fluid in the CVT before the major service at 96k km? Would there be harm if I wanted to do the transmission fluid once every year? Or once every 2 years?

Thanks.

My 2011 Legacy had the CVT replaced at 85k km and now has 134k km on it. So, the new CVT only has 49k km on it. The maintenance page on Subarus web site recommends doing the fluid at 96k km as part of the major service.

I've had 4 Honda vehicles before this and always changed the transmission fluid once a year. Yes, I know it's overkill but my transmissions have been running smooth and thankfully without issues thus far - (178k km on my 05 Odyssey).

Anyway, my question: Is there any reason to not do the transmission fluid in the CVT before the major service at 96k km? Would there be harm if I wanted to do the transmission fluid once every year? Or once every 2 years?

Thanks.

There really isn't a reason not to do it. I think SOA wasn't planning on guys whacking the paddles and running them hard. Now we are seeing sporadic failures, some after normal driving. CVTs have come a long way but their main drawback is power handling ability. Now we are really starting to see it. (Even in some newer WRXs that supposedly have a beefed up unit). I should know more in 10 days or so from what Blackstone Labs tells me about the fluid. Metal will be present no matter what, because it broke in on the fluid I sent them. What really is important is whether or not the fluid is STILL providing lubrication.

Most vehicles on the road use (miles) 45K, 50K, 60K, etc for change intervals. SOA says don't touch it unless you tow (severe duty) and then do it at 100K. I had mine done at approx 80K and the results should tell us a lot. And if they are ugly I will be sure to send a copy of the Subaru dealership's service receipt for the fluid change along with the Lab's results to SOA. And put a call in to them....

I'll be very curious to see the results from Blackstone. Depending on those results, I may choose to do the fluid sooner rather than later. A part of me wants to do the transmission fluid any way. I don't get why they don't recommend doing the transmission fluid more frequently? It is a major component of your vehicle that works just as hard as the engine. I would rather see auto makers change to a transmission fluid drain/fill interval of every 2nd or 3rd oil change - would drastically improve transmission life.

2010 legacy CVt with 67K on the car... I have experienced a jerking motion in traffic, at slow speeds, and when I accelerate I certain way... Honestly, I am SCARED sh#$less because this is my first financed car and I have no CLUE about CVT systems... In all my experience with cars and auto trannys these signs are a clue for a failing tranny.

Any experience with these symptoms? Also any guides on how to do a drain and fill on our CVT trannys?????

I'll be very curious to see the results from Blackstone. Depending on those results, I may choose to do the fluid sooner rather than later. A part of me wants to do the transmission fluid any way. I don't get why they don't recommend doing the transmission fluid more frequently? It is a major component of your vehicle that works just as hard as the engine. I would rather see auto makers change to a transmission fluid drain/fill interval of every 2nd or 3rd oil change - would drastically improve transmission life.

Because from a customer satisfaction's standpoint, as little maintenance as possible always scores big.

My 2010 3.6R Limited has a 5-speed automatic tranny, not a CVT. I'm guessing the 4 cylinder engine gets the CVT? Sometime after 2010 the 3.6R engine went to a CVT. I'm not sure if I want a CVT in my next car. I've read mixed reviews.

Because from a customer satisfaction's standpoint, as little maintenance as possible always scores big.

So So true. I think I'm going to get the tranny fluid done at the next oil change in a couple months.

The SOC site recommends oil changes at 8k km or 6 months. Seems a bit long for an oil change. I think I am going to stick to what I do with my Odyssey ... 5 months or 6k km :) I realize many people have differing opinions, but I'm just a stickler for maintenance :)

Very true indeed. Someone buying a reliable, competitively priced, "Jap" car expects relatively low maintenance costs. Unlike when one buys a MB, Audi, BMW, etc. Hard to gain long term loyalty when the stealership and SOA recommends a $150+ trans fluid change every 30K.

as far as oil changes, lots of debate, on oils, intervals, filters, etc. Pick one that's tried and true with a good filter. If it's synthetic run it longer if you would like. Best thing to do is send it to Blackstone.

They told me my synthetic 5W-30 (Mobil 1 in a 2.5i and I drive HARD) that had ~6200 miles on it only looked like 4900. They recommended running it 8K miles. That scares me but I might run this one 7K and send it to them. Maybe longer if I get lazy...

Just out of curiosity if my cvt were to ever go boom and needed to be replaced, how difficult would it be for a shop to put in the 6 speed tranny that comes with the 2.5i. I know its a lot more than just the tranny that goes in but would it be that difficult since they already can come with 6mt.