LegacyGT.com

advice on suspension

drunkinmonk

Hey guys. My 08 outback xt is currently on legacy strut and springs and I'm towing a small pop up camper so worh that is making it squat. I'm looking for a solution to raise it while I tow the camper. Someone suggested coil overs but I'm not sure on how comfortable that will be. I like the idea of being able to adjust the height when needed. My plan was to keep the legacy height in the summer and swap to stock outback suspension in the winter but I'd I hey coil overs this save me from swapping out every every season. Thoughts, recommendations, your experience with this? Tia

I also have epic/koni set up waiting to use the legacy set up as donors and do the build in the winter. Do you think the epic/koni won't sag as much? Legacy suspension had approx. 100k on them. I know the struts need replacing.

• 2 weeks later...
I've read every coilover thread. I was more focused on performance and handling but now I think I'm going for convenience and comfort. I was into autocrossing but I'm not going to put that stress on my dd. I do have 1/4" spacers that I got worth my koni/epic. I guess I'll try those first and see how it sits. If I don't like it they'll be some New epic/koni set up on the market. Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

The obxt with lgt suspension would really benefit from removing the rear subframe spacers, because right now your control arms will be sitting at extreme angles, making the camber curve much more aggressive.

That being said, I do not think using coilovers and changing height twice a year is practical. Coilovers will work best with a corner balance, and that will go out the window every time you change the height.

Even if you use two different spring/strut combos, you will need to get a new alignment every 6 months when you swap back and forth. If I were you, I would plan on a setup you like and run it year-round. That is, unless re-aligning every time you change is fine with you.

What the process is involved with removing the reader subframe spacers? Will that cause it to be lower when I put back in the stock rear outback suspension?

I have a 3 year unlimited alignment plan from my shop so getting it aligned every season isn't a big deal.

What the process is involved with removing the reader subframe spacers? Will that cause it to be lower when I put back in the stock rear outback suspension?

I have a 3 year unlimited alignment plan from my shop so getting it aligned every season isn't a big deal.

Thread on removing the spacers -

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/info-ob-gt-suspension-geometry-removing-spacer-180579.html

Yes, it gets rid of the 1 inch body lift spacers. so the car will be approximately 1 inch lower.

^That is not true. Removing the spacers has zero effect on ride height. Removing the spacers simply changes the location of the rear subframe, and thus the operating angles of the lateral links.

If you take the spacers out you will have a tough time fitting the obxt spring/strut assemblies, as the hubs will not drop down as far with the car on a lift.

If you're going to be swapping lgt vs obxt setups twice a year you will likely be making compromises on one end or the other. Swapping spacers isn't too difficult, you could do that every time too I suppose. You also have spacers for the front subframe too, but those are smaller and require a new steering shaft u-joint.

^That is not true. Removing the spacers has zero effect on ride height. Removing the spacers simply changes the location of the rear subframe, and thus the operating angles of the lateral links.

If you take the spacers out you will have a tough time fitting the obxt spring/strut assemblies, as the hubs will not drop down as far with the car on a lift.

If you're going to be swapping lgt vs obxt setups twice a year you will likely be making compromises on one end or the other. Swapping spacers isn't too difficult, you could do that every time too I suppose. You also have spacers for the front subframe too, but those are smaller and require a new steering shaft u-joint.

Thank you for correcting me. I think I realized that it was mostly just to correct the drive line angles...but for some reason I decided remove a 1 inch driveline spacer = 1 inch drop in ride right.

I'm have all stock strut and springs from a legacy gt sedan. I'm running 235/50/18.

Nice, I was looking at an KYB LGT strut with a firmer but stockish height spring.

I like how the size still fills out the wheel wells.

Why did you go with Sedan suspension vs wagon?

How much does the trailer weigh?

The best thing is to get a weight distributing hitch. Weight on the trailer hitch is acting like a lever twisting around the rear tires. This causes the front end to get lighter which means less friction force on the tires which mean reduced braking and turning ability. Not only will the weight distributing hitch level the car, but it will distribute(hence the name) the trailer tongue weight onto the front tires as well as the rears to keep them planted. This makes it so you dont hurt your braking and turning capabilities in emergencies.

Stiff springs wont do this, they will just keep the back end from dropping as much.

Check out etrailer.com, they have some cheap weight distribution systems that will probably cost you less than springs and definitely less than coilovers.

Archived