LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan recall question!

2006 Legacy GT 5mt 130,000 miles second owner bought in August 2011

So my cooling fan is stuck on even on a cold start. I took it to the only subaru dealership in town and they told me the ECM is broke and needs to be replaced and gave me an estimate of 1100 dollars. I pulled out the recall bulletin and handed it to the guy and said this should be covering it. He tells me "yes its the same issue however the recall has already been performed according to our records back in 09 (bought the car last august) and we replaced both the cooling fan and the ECM so we can't do that again under the recall".

Now is he full of crap or is that true? I mean if the issue is still there doesn't it need to be fixed?

He should be able to pull the car history and show you where and when the recall was done.

Or call SOA, they should be able to tell you the same.

I hope they keep records...

If it not covered, go to a junk yard and get a ecu

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well I have all the service records for the car since the previous owner went to the same dealership. According to the records customer stated cooling fan stays on. Cause: BAD ECM R & R ECM $741.64 LBR $59.50 RELAY ALSO BAD REPLACE RELAY $13.54. LBR 59.50

Interesting though I looked further though the records and found same issue reported on 07 feb 2011 when the dealership took the car in on a trade. Doesn't say what was done to fix it but says cost was $927.05 and $59.50 labor which I assumed they did again while waiting to sell the car. I'm guessing they replaced the ECM again which means its actually only about a year old.

I'll probably go ahead and contact SOA. This dealer has given me issues in the past and a few other ones currently so I've had enough. Only reason I'm still dealing with them is there aren't any good local shops around and the only other subaru dealer is 70 miles away.

Have them show you proof that they are putting in the updated part #s. You will find either a new part # or a revision level, for replacement parts that are redesigned. Same "fit, form and function" usually means just a revision code and not a whole new part #.

Our wagon had the relay, fan and ECU changed and it hasn't failed in the 5 years since.

Archived