LegacyGT.com

question about an accident and being totalled.

Worked at a body shop for 5 years, fixable...yes. They do replace those pillars. I am not to familiar with the Legacy but there is a seam on most cars where it is welded in. You are good, should be a 2-3 week repair barring any setbacks....possibly quicker.

Scott G

[

There's an article about fire departments being unable to cut through the B-pillar because it has so many layers of steel in it. I would try to find a body shop that has some expertise with Subarus. Otherwise, your car may never have the same structural integrity. On other brands with similar damage, I've seen insurers total the cars.

There's an article about fire departments being unable to cut through the B-pillar because it has so many layers of steel in it. I would try to find a body shop that has some expertise with Subarus. Otherwise, your car may never have the same structural integrity. On other brands with similar damage, I've seen insurers total the cars.

Oh it's possible to cut through it. I was holding a section of the B pillar (from a 3rd? gen Outback) just yesterday at a vehicle extrication class, and for its size, it was heavy! Layers of steel and rebar. There wasn't too much dead space inside. I was told they were *just* barely able to cut through it.

Anyways, the article you speak of is available from Subaru, at the following URL:

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum06_WhatsInside.htm

It gives insight as to how the structure is designed and put together, with specifics given to the ring structure.

That said, I would personally echo what long islander said. If you can't verify that the frame will be as strong after the fix as before the accident, I would instead part out or sell your car and start anew. To do otherwise would be like sky diving with a questionably functioning parachute.

Since all damage seems to be on the pillar and nothing on the bottom plate or at the roof it's probably possible to fix - given that you find the right shop that's willing to replace the pillar. I would recommend that you try to replace it. And you may even find a donor car at a junkyard from which you can cut out a donor pillar. Make sure you have them cut it out with some excess material at both ends.

Even better if you can get doors too from a donor car.

Just make sure that there aren't any seatbelt tensioner or stuff like that in the pillar.

Trying to pull the pillar right again is probably futile.

453747.png

I'd hope for a total if I ever had damage similar to that.

Speaking of totaling, is there any compensation due to rarity of vehicle? Finding an equivalent replacement for some of the more rare Subarus (like an 05 GT Wagon with a 5MT) is almost an impossibility. Do insurance companies take replacement difficulty into account, or is it simply a cash transaction?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Straight cash transaction, they see dollars not difficulty.

BTW OP.....can you take a picture of the inside looking between the pillar and the seat. To those that say these can not be cut....I have replaced them, it can be done. Good luck with the fix, I wish you the best!

Scott G

[

We had a 1988 Subie wagon that was rolled and declared totalled. The roof pillars were bent like that at the passenger door, and the top rear of the roof was dented. The glass was all intact.

The adjuster pointed out to me, under the hood at various points, the sacrificial body points that showed paint flaking from deformation from the impact. He explained how the body is supposed to "banana" to let the engine run under the cabin area instead of into the driver's lap.

About a year later we got a call from someone across ths State who had bought the car. They were having some transmission issues. They didn't know the car had been rolled and totalled.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived