LegacyGT.com

Blown Turbo, options, advice, NEED HELP!

Alright guys heres my dilemma. 2005 GT, only mods are a Cobb Catted Bell mouth down pipe for an STi that I had extended. Wary of the Catalytic Converter in the up pipe on our cars, i bought a invidia catless up pipe from a friend at my weekly subie meet. Well on the way home, turbo goes. Thinking that it must have been my up pipe I took it to my shop (Rev Works) that works on my car(Did my clutch when i got the car) to consider my options.

Turbo suffered from extremely low oil and overheated and broke the compressor shaft. Could be burning oil.

Anyways sorry for the long story. The guys at Rev Works found me a VF40 for around 400, from another legacy they regularly work on. I would like to upgrade my turbo and now would seem like the time and have been looking into VF52's.

What other options do I have besides VF52's, maybe the VF46's from an 08 GT?

Need some advice guys, thanks!

The BNR turbos get great reviews. Kinugawa's look pretty slick to me also.

If it were me in your exact situation, I'd get a BNR 18G turbo since they are rebuildable and I think the 18G may line up with your other mods. VFs are "rebuildable" but.... not with regularly available parts.

So.... did it get starved of oil due to the banjo bolt filters getting clogged? Or just oil consumption and your oil level got too low. Or a combo of both.

Either way, you need to check out the entire oil lubrication system - pan, pickup, cooler, OCVs, etc...... Find carnage and see if you have any ferrous metal in there (magnet). Flush the engine oil system several times over as able. If it were me I'd do a compression & leakdown test, because if the engine was burning oil because of a broken piston ringland..... you would start the cycle over again and a shiny new turbo involved.

And you will need a tune for VF52, BNR, etc

The BNR turbos get great reviews. Kinugawa's look pretty slick to me also.

If it were me in your exact situation, I'd get a BNR 18G turbo since they are rebuildable and I think the 18G may line up with your other mods. VFs are "rebuildable" but.... not with regularly available parts.

So.... did it get starved of oil due to the banjo bolt filters getting clogged? Or just oil consumption and your oil level got too low. Or a combo of both.

Either way, you need to check out the entire oil lubrication system - pan, pickup, cooler, OCVs, etc...... Find carnage and see if you have any ferrous metal in there (magnet). Flush the engine oil system several times over as able. If it were me I'd do a compression & leakdown test, because if the engine was burning oil because of a broken piston ringland..... you would start the cycle over again and a shiny new turbo involved.

And you will need a tune for VF52, BNR, etc

Vf52's or any VF's for that matter are very much so rebuildable, for whatever reason people seem to think they are not rebuildable (Not directed to you). I had my vf52 rebuilt from a company called 6starspeed.com

6starspeed is very quick aboit getting the vf turbo parts (center sections, shafts etc) if they do not already have them in stock. But definitely worth checking out both BNR and a vf52 and as stated above you will need a tune afterwards.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Rebuildable by a company is one thing, sure. I know all about 6starspeed and they rebuilt by VF52.

Rebuildable like a Mistubishi turbo where parts kits are openly on the market and you can simply do it yourself if it's not completely destroyed (i.e. housings/etc(, is another thing.

I think the OP needs to figure out the oil situation first, before deciding on how much to spend on a turbo/etc....

Archived