LegacyGT.com

05 LGT 5sp sometimes tough to get into first gear when stopped

CousinLarry

I tried searching, but can not find anything this specific..

More times than not - when stopped, it's tough to get into first gear. It just seems like something is blocking the slector.. Usually if I push on it a couple times or go second then first, it'll go in... Or if I'm rolling to a stop it'll slide right into first with no probs.. It just seems to be when I'm at a full stop and in neutral - then shifting into first.

Is there any adjustments I can do? Bushings to replace? I can't seem to find anything pointing to this particular issue...

Also I JUST changed my gear oil to Extra-S about 500miles ago, so the fluid is good..

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Did you check the level of the fluid in the clutch cylinder on the fire wall ?

It could be low. If it got to low you could have air on the system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If your hydraulic clutch is OK, you have a bad pilot bearing.

To test this, put your car on jack stands, start the car, push the clutch in, and put it into 1st gear. If the wheels spin while the clutch is pushed in, you need a new pilot bearing. It's either dry to broken. This makes the gears spin inside the transmission while the car is in Neutral.

Getting into first from a stop can be tough for me sometimes too. I can let out the clutch a very small amount and I can get it to go in. Sometimes I find that I need to push the clutch in harder (I've already complained about my inconsistant pedal).

Believe it or not, and this will sound crazy but I get different clutching from a full gas tank to an almost empty one. I've had other manual trans cars that did this as well so I don't think it's specific to my legacy.

As far as a pilot bearing I thought that mostly only older cars used them. I've done my VR4 clutch, civics, sentras, maxima, and others that all had no pilot bearing. Interesting.

Just a small brass bushing in the flywheel, right?

Archived