LegacyGT.com

Battery Warmer/Engine Block Heater?

Not sure where to classify this question at so I'll just put it here (Mod can move it if it fits better somewhere else). Anyways, do any of you LGT owners have one or both of these items? I'm just curious for the few subzero days Nebraska has every winter would these be worth it or does it actually hurt your engine area? Any advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've started my car in -35C with no problems. The engine took maybe 3 seconds of slow cranking to fire up. With that said though, I do think an oil pan heater is a good idea, because the sounds an engine makes for the first minute or so on a -35C start is pretty bad.

I've got an engine block heater, works well. A battery warmer will potentially help it crank, but it does nothing to warm the engine and make it easier to crank, and thin the oil so it properly lubricates everything quicker. I would consider a battery warmer something you add AS WELL AS a block heater, and only if you still need it. In Nebraska, you don't need it.

I have a block heater. Works really nicely. My coolant temperatures are at around 110F after sitting all night in a 30 degree garage. Definitely worth the time to install.

But, mine is only good for starting the car to get to work. After that, I have no where to plug it in.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just start it and drive it everyday and let it warm up for 2 minutes or so and drive slowly for 4-5 mins and your at operating temperature. So about 6-8 minutes and you're good. I don't mind sitting in a cold car for a little bit(leather and I don't even turn on the heated seats) but if you don't like sitting in a cold car or driving slowly for the 1st mile or 2 then you may want the block heater! Most people just want it so it's nice and warm when they get in or they don't want to drive their cars easy! Is this why you are thinking about it? I was thinking about getting it too but I'll just sit in a cold car and drive it easy! I live in cold Minnesota Weather be the way!

Unless you live someplace where there are electrical outlets in all of the parking places you do not need a block heater.

Rao - I would disagree when you say block heaters are totally useless. Spend any time in the Great White North during the winter and you will come to rely on block heaters.

Given that oil doesn't fully lubricate or protect your engine until it is at operating temperature, an argument could me made for a block heater in almost any climate. It certainly makes a difference in below freezing temps in how long it takes your engine to warm up and in fuel consumption because of that.

As for a battery warmer, in my opinion you would only use that to get a dying battery through another winter, or two, if you didn't want to pay for a replacement battery.

I was just getting all of the members feedback on them and what they actually did since all the websites I see them on don't have ANY type of description.

Lee07-No, I was not planning on getting in and just hot rodding the car. I only did that in my '03 Mustang GT because that is what it was designed for ;)

Archived