LegacyGT.com

Cell phone law in MD

LegacyGTBiggie

Don’t Mix Mobile Phones and Driving

As of October 1, 2010, Maryland drivers are prohibited from using hand-held cell

phones while behind the wheel. The new law was signed by Maryland Governor Martin

O’Malley on May 21.

“While the new law does not take effect until October 1, I challenge all drivers to

stop using cell phones while driving immediately,” said Jack Russell, President, Board

of County Commissioners for St. Mary’s County. “We know that the use of cell phones

while driving causes many traffic accidents, injuries and fatalities.”

Violators will face a $40 fine for a first offense and $100 for repeat incidents after

the October 1 effective date. The Patuxent River Naval Air Station instituted a rule

prohibiting driving and using a hand held cell phone on board the air station and St.

Inigoes facility last year. “We know that distracted driving causes accidents,” explained

Jackie Beckman, CTSP Coordinator St. Mary's Highway Safety Program, Community

Services Division Department of Human Services. “Crashes caused by cell phone calls

and texting are particularly prevalent among teen drivers.”

For more information on the effects of distracted driving, log on to the official US

Government website for distracted driving at www.distraction.gov.

One more thing to get ticketed for while morons still drive like retards all over the state!

Not that I drive with my phone really ever. But as i never use it i dont have a bluetooth headset or other hands free. so the one time i do use it ill get a ticket!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is this actually a first offense thing? As in they can pull you over if they see you on the phone.

I know that the texting while driving law that's been in effect was a secondary offense so they had to pull you over for something else (speeding, failure to stop, etc.) before they could ticket you for texting.

We have had this law in NY for a long time now. I rarely use my phone while driving and when I have to drive by some moron in the left lane on the NYS Thruway I will pace right with them(in the middle lane) blazing my horn.

I got pulled over for being on my phone because my mother called me. The cop gave me a ticket for not showing him my ins. card.

/\ Same in CT. It's been a law but it's written to include all sorts of stuff, not just phone. I believe they describe it as "personal electronics devices" so an iPod could technically fit the bill if you're flipping between tracks whilst driving.

I know your pain of driving next to someone whilst yucking away on the phone. They end up bobbing and weaving unknowingly. Always drive as if the person next to doesn't know how.

I believe it is common for there to be exemptions for those using some devices, like laptops, when it is for business. I also know many states exempt media. I'm pretty much in the clear on both fronts. However I still don't use a cell while driving, with the exception of out west on long roads that are about as straight as they come, and you can fall asleep for and hour and be find...LOL.

One more thing to get ticketed for while morons still drive like retards all over the state!

Not that I drive with my phone really ever. But as i never use it i dont have a bluetooth headset or other hands free. so the one time i do use it ill get a ticket!

I, for one, am happy about this law. I heard this was going to be a secondary offense, but if it is a primary offense like speeding, I'm happy for it.

If you don't have a bluetooth, go buy one they're like $40, or if that's too expensive, buy one of the corded headsets...or if that's even too expensive use your speaker phone...99% of the phones now have it.

when I have to drive by some moron in the left lane on the NYS Thruway I will pace right with them(in the middle lane) blazing my horn.

Awesome... You need to come to MD for awhile, though, you'll get sick of honking at every single idiot in the left lane. As a born and raised NYer, you have no idea how much it pains me to live in MD and drive on the highways here. Tons of people here camp out in the left lane doing anywhere from the speed limit to about 5-10 miles over the speed limit. If someone comes blazing behind them at a higher speed, do they move? NO.

try 495 and 270...

And i never use my phone enough to remember to keep one charged. I have a bluetoof. I just never used it cause i do NOT talk and drive. I just know the one time I do ill get a ticket.

Why didnt the Legacys come with a bluetooth radio, or one easy to replace with a better unit... WHY GOD WHY!!!

Driving in MD isnt as bad as other states. What we get more than anything is not the MORONS. but the self important FUCKS who think that they own the road and screw you for being behind and trying to pass them or next to them and needing to get over. Its a arrogance thing out here. Ive been to places liek Atlanta... Thats just a hotmess full of retarded imbred people who cant think farther than fried chicken and nascar!

I shit you not i was driving down there and watchign people make emergency lane changes across all 4-5 lanes of the highway to get to a exit at the very last second. Literally in more than one case driving almost completely perpendicular to moving traffic... And this wasnt a isolated case, like my short day of driving down there was FULL of this exact problem. was psychotic.

Why didnt the Legacys come with a bluetooth radio, or one easy to replace with a better unit... WHY GOD WHY!!!

Parrot bluetooth...they also sell a lot of speaker/mic bluetooth options for like $40 that you just snap to your visor...

Driving in MD isnt as bad as other states. What we get more than anything is not the MORONS. but the self important FUCKS who think that they own the road and screw you for being behind and trying to pass them or next to them and needing to get over.

Or...95% of the time someone on their CELL PHONE in the left lane oblivious to anyone behind them...or just the oblivious drivers in general.

DMV drivers are too timid. PERIOD. It takes an average DMV driver at least 10-15 seconds to change lanes, if they're not too worried about the driver in the other lane that 50 feet behind them coming up on them. A lane change should take at most 3 seconds. Look in your review mirrors, look over your shoulder, signal, change lane...done.

DMV Drivers to 60 mph in the left lane because they're too scared to move into any other lane.

DMV drivers have no idea how to zipper, or move over one lane when a merge lane is approaching...if you don't want to get "cut off" by someone merging, move over one lane! Or, just learn how to goddamn zipper and traffic will flow perfectly.

Where have you driven? I've been up and down the entire east coast and by far the DMV area is the WORST.

The same people on cell phones not paying attention to the road are the same people who cross from the left most lane to exit off of the beltway. Every single time you come up on an exit, no matter what time of day, there's always some moron that is barreling ass across the road to exit and slowing down traffic for miles behind them.

My favorite in this area, especialyl at bigger on/off ramps like 495/95 and 495/270 is the GPS jerk that when it says stay left they get in the left lane and do 20 under while still staring at signs.

And ive been to Atlanta... WOW retarded people down there.

Milwaukee is just kinda a free for all of drunk driver but a lot more polite than DMV.

Florida(depends where you are in FL)

SOUTHERN FLORIDA... Mixture of forgien terrorist drivers and ghost cars(1970 lincoln town car with only 5000 miles on it seemingly being driven by no one until you see the puff of white hair and knuckes on teh steering wheel). The terrorist never signals and was born in some country with little to no traffic control or laws. The ghost driver will stay in the middle lane at well under teh speed limit and not signal a turn until right before a intersection(cause they cant see the street signs until directly under them) and then turn from that lane and give no warning.

NJ and NY(same thing really) - what little driving i did up there goes like this, mostly ok drivers. But psychoitcally over aggressive. Cannot get over or do anything without pissing someone off even at speed with plenty of room. But overall a good mix of stupid/clueless and actual intelegent driving. Also you have a huge tourist problem up there(ME).

We've had this law in CA for 2 years now, and at first I was against it, but I've changed my mind. Every time I see someone doing something stupid and/or unsafe they are chatting away on their phone without a headset.

And holding your phone while using the speaker does not count as hands-free! which so many don't seem to understand...

• 5 weeks later...

In the end, I don't care. I find it just easier to let the aggression go and focus on driving. If someone is in the left lane going slow, I just go around. If I can't, then it's too crowded to worry about it...you are not going to make enough of a difference in arrival time of your destination.

If it's more about driving fast...tough shi't...go to a track!

As far as the cell phones, I'm not crazy about the 'mother may I' mentality of government, but these days folks are so self absorbed, oblivious to their surroundings, and just plain deadly in their driving habits, that it does take oversight and regulations to make people understand (and penalize the offenders) safety is paramount...not what your girlfriend said yesterday or calling your buddies about the game.

I cannot stand em. Just today alone I got stuck between no fewer then 6 people on one lane roads with them doing atleast 5-10 under the speed limit. I shit you not they would brake at every bend and any car coming the other direction. They are not paying attention and they are a menace.

It isnt just going fast but a lot of times it just about not wanting to be forced to be slow because they cant be bothered to pay attention when behind the wheel.

I just heard this from my wife yesterday. I had not heard of it ever before. You would have thought it would have been a big deal with multiple announcements and everyone would be talking about it, but at least in my circles that doesnt seem to be the case. Almost feels like they're trying to institute it w/o anyone knowing so as to write a LOTTTTT of tickets in the first month or so just because no on has heard of the law.

This is, in fact, a SECONDARY offense. If you are going the speed limit, obeying all other laws, but on the phone you are in good shape.

I approve of it being a secondary offense. If you are able to drive perfectly legally, and talk on the phone, then good for you. If you can't, you get an extra ticket.

It WILL be interesting to see how many cops get in trouble for using their laptops while driving. I'd say during my normal 29->I70->I695->I83N commute (and home) I see more cops talking on a cellphone than not.

Considering this new revolution in MD: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-recorded-traffic-stop-20100927,0,3220573.story

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I am in favor of this law. I bought a Bluetooth for only $40 from BestBuy. Works fine. If my headset is running out of batteries, I just tell people I will call them back when I am at home.

About time this damn law is here. And even better if it is a secondary offense. Not only do you get a ticket for unsafe driving, but you get another one for being a douche waffle.

Archived