LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Change Interval Question

I have an 05 LGT wagon, 55K miles, 5EAT (if that matters). Mostly daily driver, occasionally driven at lower-level HPDE's.

I know there already are multiple timing belt change interval threads, and I *believe* I get the consensus among them all, but still-- anyway, check this out.

Everything I've read here indicates that my car's timing belt change interval is at 105K miles. Is this the case?

If so, then I'm wondering how come my local supposedly reputable shop, recommended multiple times on LGT.com, is stating something completely different. Below are snippets from my email thread with the shop.

Me:

"One question: I recall hearing you say that the timing belt is usually replaced @ 60K miles. I think the factory interval is a bit longer than that. But is [your] recommendation for all Subarus or just the newer ones? Mine is an 05 Legacy GT."

Their reply:

"Thanks for your email and nice comments. The manufactures suggest you change the timing belt between 60-70K. We suggest this is done at the 60K service,just to be on the safe side, since the next big service would be around 90K.

[We] recommends this on all vehicles.

Please feel free to contact me should you have any further questions or concerns.

"

What's missing here? My brain?? Or something else? Discuss!

The shop is wrong. It's 105k miles. :rtfm:

However, depending on your power levels and how you drive it may be a good idea to change it earlier and maybe put a better belt there as well.

Thanks for verifying! I don't mind changing it a bit earlier, say @ 90K or so, but 60K seemed premature...

On one hand, I read about the 105K miles here & RTFM, but on the other hand, this frequently recommended shop was telling me otherwise, and to a n00bie, what a "reputable shop" says always carries a bit of intimidating weight... *was confused*

Should I tell them they're wrong?? :p

There is only ONE Interval That is at 105,000 miles for the 2.5
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

^You know what's coincidental is that Legba's "ultimate" oil pickup tube just arrived tonight! So hopefully it will be my 1 and only oil pickup tube replacement :D

But then there's also the banjo bolt filter :p

Yep. I have had customers come in from other dealers and they were doing timing belts at 90k.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

IMHO, the shop is trying to hustle you into replacing the timing belt prematurely. I'd find a different one.

Which is unfortunate, since they come recommended, especially in these forums, and are a stone's throw away from work. A great place to just drop my car off and pick it up at end of work day. But they're always so busy it's difficult to get in touch with them! Which means they're popular?? I don't get it. :spin:

Rec'ing 90K might seem bad enough already.... that's 15K early, but it's not egregious. OCD folks like me would probably do it. But 60K is flat-out ridiculous.

I dunno. A new service manager, paid on shop revenue?

Sorry, I am a cynic. You sure he said replace not "inspect" per the manual? Not sure how you inspect a timing belt.

Most of us are paid that way(commission). However, there is no reason not to be honest with the customer.

Most of us are paid that way(commission). However, there is no reason not to be honest with the customer.

You're an exception, not the rule, sadly.

I dunno. A new service manager, paid on shop revenue?

Sorry, I am a cynic. You sure he said replace not "inspect" per the manual? Not sure how you inspect a timing belt.

See my original post. I lifted the text verbatim out of my email thread with the shop, except taking out anything incriminating like names, etc. They want to replace my timing belt for me @ 60K-70K.

This indie shop is very small. Only has at most a couple service managers-- office space is small, but huge bay-space in back. I don't know how long my service manager's been there.

Just got off the phone with another shop in my area, further out, well-known here as well. They rec'ed "105K miles" for timing belt change interval. Gonna reward their honesty by continuing taking most of my business to them.

That statement is self contradictory :lol:

How so? I get paid commission on what I generate, yet I still refer customers to my competitor for tires and other things i know they can get a better deal on? Sure at times i can say, well your mods caused the problem, no warranty so I can get paid more. Nope, many of our local Subies know I am by the book, and not so quick to decline something due to a mod;) and it generally works in their favor. Yes, there are ways we can dick a customer over so we can get paid much, but why? You lose the business in the long run.

How so? I get paid commission on what I generate, yet I still refer customers to my competitor for tires and other things i know they can get a better deal on? Sure at times i can say, well your mods caused the problem, no warranty so I can get paid more. Nope, many of our local Subies know I am by the book, and not so quick to decline something due to a mod;) and it generally works in their favor. Yes, there are ways we can dick a customer over so we can get paid much, but why? You lose the business in the long run.

Why aren't there any more people of your caliber? :lol:

I swear, people like you make me want to do business with dealerships again.

Why aren't there any more people of your caliber? :lol:

I swear, people like you make me want to do business with dealerships again.

There are, but there are some that aren't or just don't care. I know Dan Beyer Subaru has a really good writer there as does Annapolis Subaru. They are close to you too:)

Archived