LegacyGT.com

Adding Heated Seats

I just swapped out my cloth seats in my 1997 LGT for leather heated seats from

an SUS with the winter package. The seat warmer plugs were pre-wired from

the factory in the LGT despite the cloth seats not having the warmers in them.

Even the seat warmer switch plugs were already there under the e-brake cover.

The problem is nothing happens when I turn them on. Since the LGT was not

orignally equipped with heated seats do I need to install fuses/relays somewhere???

everything points to a fuse # 24 (or 25) in another fuse panel under the dash. it apparently comes stock in the outbacks but has to be added to the GT. i could never find it so i just wired a hot wire from the cigarette lighter to the switch. (i did not mess with the ''illumination'' lights, just the heat.) as long as you don't light any cigarettes with the heated seats on you should be ok.

In case you didn't find the right location....

You probably have to add the fuse.

The fuse for the heated seats can only be reached by removing the small panel by your knees under the steering wheel.

Right I am going to go take pictures of my 98 OBL parts car and will go take some pictures for you.

everything points to a fuse # 24 (or 25) in another fuse panel under the dash. it apparently comes stock in the outbacks but has to be added to the GT. i could never find it so i just wired a hot wire from the cigarette lighter to the switch.

i think you missed the part about the heated seat fuse panel not being stock on the GT models. and either you have to add it or run a new hot feed. i used the cigarette lighter as a 12v source.

lots of folks have done it this way.

I also swapped in leather from an outback into my 99L

and pillaged the switches from a scrapyard along with both ends (plugs)

is there a wiring diagram for this?

do you think I will have the fuse in my fuse panel?

should I just buy a Haynes manual?

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

i think you missed the part about the heated seat fuse panel not being stock on the GT models. and either you have to add it or run a new hot feed. i used the cigarette lighter as a 12v source.

lots of folks have done it this way.

Lol, apparently I did miss that part. I'm going to where the donor car is stored later this week so I can study the wiring/fuse box layout. Otherwise I'll just hotwire it from a switched (only when the key is in the AC position, avoiding dead batteries) 12v source

• 2 weeks later...

So I added the heated seats into my 97 L and this is what i remember.

The power for the seat heaters come from the same circuit that powers the rear aux power in the outbacks. Under the passenger dash / footwell is a relay with a pink connector that is on a blue wire from the seat heaters. It gets it's power from a fused line that taps off one of the main fusebox feeds under the drivers dash. The relay is energized from a wire you can find in one of the main body/ instrument harness connectors, also under the drivers dash.

My guess is that you don't have a relay fitted under the passenger kick panel, or the inline fuse is bad or missing.

I did a write-up over at sl-i.net last year when I did the install but i did not include the wiring diagrams.

The fuse block for the heated seats is a separate block as everyone has stated. It's also in the most ridiculous location I've ever seen a fuse block placed. Whereas the main interior fuse block is near your left foot and (relatively) easy to access, the block for the heated seats (which is its own block with room for three fuses) is shoved way up under the lower dash there, and impossible to reach, if I recall, because it's behind all sorts of other wiring and control units. Good luck, lol.

Lemme get thia straight :

I got a 98GT

I got heated leather seats from OB 2001

I should have prewired switch plugs under the ebrake cover (which i dont, checked yesterday)

Its supposed to be prewired for the heated seats, but the GT doesnt have the heated seat relay like the OB had. Right ?

If so, am I the only one that finds it stupid to prewire the damn thing but with missing parts ? Lol

I wouldnt mind getting the power from the lighter switch, but I like having something that is close to stock. I got myself the connectors for both seats and switches. Still looking for the switches though.

I got the OB 2001 wiring diagram for heated seats in front of me and from what I am understanding, I am missing the "Seat heater/Rear accessory power supply relay" and the "Seat heater fuse holder" correct ?

I have a 99 GT wagon, I'm assuming it has the "cold weather package" because I have heated seats and a block heater, I dont think either of them work though. There are a couple of wires under my seat that aren't hooked to anything. I'll take some pics and maybe we can all get our problems solved. IDK what they go to, but they "seem to be" factory

Archived