LegacyGT.com

COBB Tuning 3-Port Boost Control Solenoid

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/COBB_Tuning_3-Port_EBCS_thumb3.png

COBB Tuning is proud to announce the immediate availability of the COBB Tuning 3-Port Boost Control Solenoid (BCS) for turbocharged Subaru applications. The COBB 3-Port Boost Solenoid is an excellent upgrade for modern turbocharged vehicles, enabling precise boost control in a tidy package that is easy to install and tune. Our BCS will eliminate boost fluctuations and boost creep inherent in OEM boost control systems, providing the necessary stable and repeatable boost control required for accurate tuning and consistent performance. The COBB BCS is equally capable of providing stable boost control at stock boost levels as well as extremely high boost levels associated with big-power builds, with an operating range of up to 120psi.

The COBB Tuning 3-Port BCS features 1/8" low-profile barb fittings to keep the unit compact, and are nickel coated for corrosion resistance. Optional 1/4" nickel plated fittings are also available separately. Viton spools and seals are used throughout for long life and lubricated with Dow Corning silicone grease. The manual override port is sealed with an O-ring, the wiring harness is sealed to the casing using a waterproof grommet and the solenoid wires are ultrasonically welded to the coil, making the device waterproof and safe to wash.

COBB Tuning has made the COBB 3-Port BCS installation as simple as possible. It mounts in the stock location and plugs directly into the stock wiring harness, making the physical install and electrical connection as straightforward possible. The BCS comes with a custom aluminum mounting bracket, stainless steel hardware, the necessary boost-line to complete all connections and zip-ties to route the boost-line neatly through the engine bay. The install instructions are easy to understand, with photographs and illustrations to guide you through the installation process, and include routing instructions for both internal and external wastegate configurations.

The COBB Tuning 3-Port BCS is the ulimate electronic boost control device for modern turbocharged applications, designed for outstanding boost control, engineered for consistent performance over an extended service life, and configured for easy installation. Get your boost under control and Access the Potential of your turbocharged Subaru today!

SUBARU

PN: 712750

MSRP: $115

Applications:

• STI 2004-2007
  • WRX 2002-2007
  • Forester XT 2004-2008

PN: 715750

MSRP: $115

Applications:

• STI Wagon 2008-2012
  • STI Sedan 2011-2012
  • WRX 2008-2012
  • Legacy GT 2005-2009
  • Legacy GT Spec B 2006-2009
  • Outback XT 2005-2009

If it's made by MAC vavles, the unit itself should be the exact valve as the grimmspeed ones.

+1 for a base map

We worked directly with MAC to make this valve specifically for COBB, so it is better than anything else currently available on the market.

Ian

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So, I have a question that probably will seem dumb to some but, I want to up my boost a little and am not seeing how this is gonna up my boost. Is this going to or do i need to buy something else? I have an AP but is a tune able to up my boost or what am i missing out on?

So, I have a question that probably will seem dumb to some but, I want to up my boost a little and am not seeing how this is gonna up my boost. Is this going to or do i need to buy something else? I have an AP but is a tune able to up my boost or what am i missing out on?

if your running the stock turbo, the factory unit is fine. I'm running 17 psi on my tune and could get more. A tune without this is fine, depends on your setup? Factory turbo + boltons= fine with stock boost control.

I currently have a BNR 16g, aftermarket up, cobb dp, prodrive axle, cobb CP, and cobb AP. soon will have a mid pipe once I find one that's decent in price. I'm not looking to cram boost up I just would like a little more since it is a "upgraded" turbo. But I don't really see how that raises boost. It says it holds the boost from dropping through range but an upgraded actuator does the same thing.

I just re read, and I believe what your saying is a tune can get more boost so there really is no boost controller for our vehicles?

I know it's said that the tmic will leak shortly after the stock bpv but I am also getting a gfb 50 50 and later a fmic. And probably an e tune in the next few weeks so I'm trying to figure out the boost aspect. Thanks for the help guys

I currently have a BNR 16g, aftermarket up, cobb dp, prodrive axle, cobb CP, and cobb AP. soon will have a mid pipe once I find one that's decent in price. I'm not looking to cram boost up I just would like a little more since it is a "upgraded" turbo. But I don't really see how that raises boost. It says it holds the boost from dropping through range but an upgraded actuator does the same thing.

I just re read, and I believe what your saying is a tune can get more boost so there really is no boost controller for our vehicles?

No. Read:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190530

Think of this as an upgrade to the stock controller.

Well, the factory uses a "bleed" type solenoid which produces slower peak boost and boost creep, where as the electronic solenoid will give you more responsive" right away" boost. It's also more tuneable, so tuners can get the boost right where they want it. It Dosent nessecarilly raise your boost, but allows tuners to get the response they want and raise it in the tune more reliably than the factory unit.

Ok so it is good to have, I understand what it does now. But, I also read how the boost control can be changed with a restrictor pill and what not, I understand that. I guess my current question is, does a manual/electronic boost controller do the same thing on this 'spaceship' engine as any other boosted vehicle? I do want to add probably 2-3 pounds with this tune im ready to get and even more in the future with higher grade mods. So do i just get a boost controller and follow the steps of any other vehicle? sorry this engine just extremely confuses the h*ll out of me.

You've got a lot of reading to do especially if you plan on tuning this thing yourself. If you're going for 20 psi you would be wise to upgrade your boost controller. I like Cobb's write up on Subaru's stock boost control system.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-Articles-s/70674.htm

Start there. From there, tuning higher boost involves increasing boost targets, adjusting wastegate duty cycles, monitoring fueling and adjusting as needed, logging, logging, logging and so on and so forth. Can't just expect to turn it up and be done. If you were to put this controller on with no tuning, you'd run run the chance of overboosting and all the risks associated with that.

Archived