LegacyGT.com

Upgrading stock 05 stereo

05transporter

I just purchased a 2005 Legacy 2.5i about a week ago, and one of the things I was wondering is if it would be possible to replace the factory stereo head unit with one off of a 2007 with climate controls and an auxiliary input? My 05 doesn't have the digital climate controls, but I thought it'd be a nice touch to add in addition to having iPod capability.

I haven't seen any direct reference to upgrading from a non-climate controle module to one that has it, so if I missed a thread with this information, just pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks!

Believe me you do not want the auto HVAC controls.

2nd

Believe it or not, you have the ideal set-up for upgrading to just about any aftermarket headunit available, most of which will include some type of aux-in or iPod integration

ignore him, he'll go away.

2nd

Believe it or not, you have the ideal set-up for upgrading to just about any aftermarket headunit available, most of which will include some type of aux-in or iPod integration

Can you be a little more specific? I am very intertested in an upgrade.

So the automatic climate controls are not all they're cracked up to be? Hmm, and here I thought they'd be kinda cool to have... Better I found out now, I suppose.

Mostly just thinking of ways to kind of improve upon the car without getting too extreme (I constantly have clients in my vehicle) I guess that without having a sunroof, I was having some sort of "tech envy". :redface:

No they are not. They suck actually. No matter what you had it set on; when you turn the unit off and back on; it will automatically come back on with the A/C on in recirc mode, the fan full blast and the temp set to 65 on both sides. Our point here is that your climate controls stay where you set them while ours do what they want and can be a real pain at times.

You however have the ideal setup for upgrading the STEREO headunit. There is a good looking faceplate available that will allow you to install just about any aftermarket headunit out there seamlessly. Those of us with the GT's and the auto climate control have to either add another headunit in the cubby up top or in the ashtray(if you can call it that) and leave the factory unit where it is. As far as I know; no one has even found a over the counter faceplate for upgrading our systems yet and cutting the factory one is both very difficult and potentially could get very ugly.

Let's kick this pig!

No they are not. They suck actually. No matter what you had it set on; when you turn the unit off and back on; it will automatically come back on with the A/C on in recirc mode, the fan full blast and the temp set to 65 on both sides. Our point here is that your climate controls stay where you set them while ours do what they want and can be a real pain at times.

You however have the ideal setup for upgrading the STEREO headunit. There is a good looking faceplate available that will allow you to install just about any aftermarket headunit out there seamlessly. Those of us with the GT's and the auto climate control have to either add another headunit in the cubby up top or in the ashtray(if you can call it that) and leave the factory unit where it is. As far as I know; no one has even found a over the counter faceplate for upgrading our systems yet and cutting the factory one is both very difficult and potentially could get very ugly.

my auto ac works just fine. i set it for 72 -74* and it blows 72-74* the best it can. heat on a cold day (wont blow till high speed till the car actualy warms up. blows cool on a hot day. fan speed slows as it comes close to the right temp. im always comfortable.:spin:

my auto ac works just fine. i set it for 72 -74* and it blows 72-74* the best it can. heat on a cold day (wont blow till high speed till the car actualy warms up. blows cool on a hot day. fan speed slows as it comes close to the right temp. im always comfortable.:spin:

:whore:

Mine works fine also, I just leave it on manual 65/dash vents/fan on low, but I have noticed that when I push the OFF/ON button that it doesn't come back to where I had it set. It always comes back on in auto mode at a different temp in recirc mode with the A/C on. I also personally don't like the fan kicking up on high in auto mode. I like for it to stay where I set it. I guess on road trips I use the auto setting, but in town I usually have a window down and don't really need the climate control to be continually adjusting on it's own.

Let's kick this pig!

the cars with manual controls have an dash kit you can get to put any radio in your car you want. all you have to do is put the manual controls from your old radio into the dash kit and you are ready to go. I wish I had the manual climate control...but, i have the auto. have fun!

My oly real complain about the climate control is that you can turn the fans on with them set to 65 with out the A/C automatically turning on. There are morning where it is just cool enough outside that I don't need heet or A.C, and the cool breeze feels nice. BAMMMM On goes the A/C. But I think there is a 5 second delay until the fan belts spin, and I usually get the A/C turned off before they even start to spin. And the other problem is on slightly warmer days... after the A/C cooled the car off, and you raise the internal temperature setting... and it opens the recirc letting in smelly humid outside air. THAT PISSES ME OFF! I have no clue what they were thinking on that one....

But my options are few at this point. Unless they have changed on a new model, and I can swap out.

the cars with manual controls have an dash kit you can get to put any radio in your car you want. all you have to do is put the manual controls from your old radio into the dash kit and you are ready to go. I wish I had the manual climate control...but, i have the auto. have fun!

said dash kit...got it with my head unit from crutchfield.com

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/aboone1970/car33.jpg

Archived